Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading a CPU

• 17-07-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

The slowness of my processor has been annoying me in recent weeks, so I've been scouring around for new computer. I'm only looking for a cheap one and to be honest, most of one I found were worse than my current one, just with a better CPU.

So I started looking at processors to upgrade my current one. The only problem is, my lack of knowledge about computers has led me to question whether I can upgrade my CPU. I mean will it fit in the computer.

My current CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, 2.19 GHz. I was looking at something like this

http://www.magic-micro.com/pmoreinfo.asp?iid=3741#productInfo

but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm looking at. I don't know the make of my computer, so that might be a problem. If I could get a dual core with over 3.00GHz I'd be very happy. If I could get something similar to what I posted in the link, I'd be absolutely delighted

But as I said, I'm not too sure what I'm talking about so any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Goto http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and download CPU-Z and run it. It shall tell you what socket of CPU you have. We can then see what CPU you can upgrade to, and if it'll make any noticeable difference.

Also, tell us how much memory (RAM) you have, and what version of Windows you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

the_syco wrote: »
    Goto http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and download CPU-Z and run it. It shall tell you what socket of CPU you have. We can then see what CPU you can upgrade to, and if it'll make any noticeable difference.

Also, tell us how much memory (RAM) you have, and what version of Windows you have.

Ok, thanks

I have it installed and I've ran the program, what do I need to post now?

Edit: CPU.png

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

You need to look for a processor that will fit into an AMD 939 socket,

You will find it hard to find a new one or even a multi-core one for that socket type

How much memory is in your systemand what OS are you running?

Crosáidí wrote: »
    You need to look for a processor that will fit into an AMD 939 socket,

You will find it hard to find a new one or even a multi-core one for that socket type

Ah crap. Is there any way of upgrading the socket?
    How much memory is in your systemand what OS are you running?

Not really sure how to find those things but in CPU-Z when I go to the Memory tab it says 2560MBs

• Advertisement

An AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual-core CPU is about 6 years old.

I have an AMD 64 x2 3800 (from an old rig), but when I was last looking to upgrade it, I found it hard to find an upgrade. I was running it with 4GB's of RAM at the time.

TBH, I don't think you'll be able to upgrade the CPU by much, if at all. What are you trying to run, that makes it feel slow?

Lago wrote: »
    Yup. New motherboard. May as well get new RAM whilst you're at it. Probably a new power unit, but it depends how bad your current one is. About one step away from building a new PC.
    Not really sure how to find those things but in CPU-Z when I go to the Memory tab it says 2560MBs
    About 2.5GB's.

New motherboard, which could mean new RAM and GPU,
    you would be better of building/buying a whole new system if you're really pushed for a new PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Socket 939 CPUs are getting pretty rare nowadays. Even if you did manage to find a SKT 939 CPU, the best you could possibly get is a 4800 X2 which while an improvement over what you have is still extremely outdated and slow by current standards.

An AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual-core CPU is about 6 years old.

I have an AMD 64 x2 3800 (from an old rig), but when I was last looking to upgrade it, I found it hard to find an upgrade. I was running it with 4GB's of RAM at the time.

TBH, I don't think you'll be able to upgrade the CPU by much, if at all. What are you trying to run, that makes it feel slow?

Gaming really. Games like Football Manager and such, anything with a large enough database, just don't really run smooth. It's annoying cause games that are more based around graphics run very well
    Yup. New motherboard. May as well get new RAM whilst you're at it. Probably a new power unit, but it depends how bad your current one is. About one step away from building a new PC.
    New motherboard, which could mean new RAM and GPU,
    you would be better of building/buying a whole new system if you're really pushed for a new PC

Aye, a new PC is looking like the way to go. But I just don't want to spend that much money, especially when my current computer isn't that bad. I mean, when I was thinking of buying a new computer, the very most I was hoping to spend was £600, £800 if I was really, really pushed

• Advertisement

If you use a PC for gaming, building is the way to go

£600-800 is enough to build a very decent gaming PC.

If you use a PC for gaming, building is the way to go
    £600-800 is enough to build a very decent gaming PC.

I suppose, all roads seem to be leading down that route. Only thing I'm worried about is that I'm so uneducated in these things. I've no idea I'd put it together, I don't even know what I need. Does it take long to do it?

'bout an 1/2 hrs 1st time around. When you get the money up, post here and a PC will be configured for you and someone my build it for you also if someone lives close by

'bout an 1/2 hrs 1st time around. When you get the money up, post here and a PC will be configured for you and someone my build it for you also if someone lives close by

Alright, thanks for that

It's very easy to do really. Once you make sure all the parts you buy are compatible then you shouldn't have too many issues. Even if you do have issues, there are hundreds of people here on boards who could easily advise you.

It's very easy to do really. Once you make sure all the parts you buy are compatible then you shouldn't have too many issues. Even if you do have issues, there are hundreds of people here on boards who could easily advise you.

Getting incompatible parts would be the main thing I'd be worried about. But I'd say, if I ask on this forum for help, I shouldn't have many problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have a look around this forum for ideas and as you will see there are plenty of people who will suggest what you should get and for a very good price
    there are also people that will put it together for you if you ask
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

Advertisement