Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden left compacted by digger tracks-what to do?

• 17-07-2011 2:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi Folks,

got my septic tank and all pipework sorted. However about 1 third of an acre, much in the front garden, was uprooted then flatened over again. He drove back and forth over it with the digger tracks to get it down to the proper level.Now however this is rock hard! I would get a small rodavator only the terrain is very rocky. It might break the rodovator. I spent days taking out the big stones but underneath the surface are so many more. My terrain is so rocky he almost had to bring in a rock breaker to dig. I tried digging with the spade and this is so slow due to all the rock. Its like a sheet of rock. The spade is new, I cannot get the spade to even stand up by forcing it with my hand into the soil.
    I want to re seed it but what are my options?

Thanks a lot,

Eamon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plantlord

Ground compacted by machinery will still grow grass - after all we are not called the emerald isle for nothing. If the depressions in the soil are really obvious, just fill them in with top soil. Rotavating soil often creates more problems than it solves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

eamon11 wrote: »
    hi Folks,

got my septic tank and all pipework sorted. However about 1 third of an acre, much in the front garden, was uprooted then flatened over again. He drove back and forth over it with the digger tracks to get it down to the proper level.Now however this is rock hard! I would get a small rodavator only the terrain is very rocky. It might break the rodovator. I spent days taking out the big stones but underneath the surface are so many more. My terrain is so rocky he almost had to bring in a rock breaker to dig. I tried digging with the spade and this is so slow due to all the rock. Its like a sheet of rock. The spade is new, I cannot get the spade to even stand up by forcing it with my hand into the soil.
    I want to re seed it but what are my options?

Thanks a lot,

Eamon

For a start the guy using the digger should have had 'rubber tracks' on his machine if he was going through your garden, I would get him back and fix the mess he left your garden in, by what you said I would say that it would need that digger back to scrape back the grass and put top-soil on top. best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Get the guy that caused the mess back to sort it out, he should have used 'rubber tracks' on his machine when he was going over your garden.

Advertisement