Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to repair hard dug up garden

Options
  • 17-07-2011 2:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi Folks,

got my septic tank and all pipework sorted. However about 1 third of an acre, much in the front garden, was uprooted then flatened over again. He drove back and forth over it with the digger tracks to get it down to the proper level.Now however this is rock hard! I would get a small rodavator only the terrain is very rocky. It might break the rodovator. I spent days taking out the big stones but underneath the surface are so many more. My terrain is so rocky he almost had to bring in a rock breaker to dig. I tried digging with the spade and this is so slow due to all the rock. Its like a sheet of rock. The spade is new, I cannot get the spade to even stand up by forcing it with my hand into the soil.
    I want to re seed it but what are my options?

Thanks a lot,

Eamon
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How did you manage to get all those icons to the bottom of your post :confused::pac:

However. If you are going to do it by hand you would be better with a pickax and a fork than a spade. It sounds as though somehow all the topsoil has been buried and the rocks brought to the surface? Short of getting in a mini digger to turn it over - which might be the best idea - all you can do is go at it by hand, but get some more suitable tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

A heavy duty chillington hoe is your only man for a job like this. Thanks Zuidersee for the recommendation, it's making light work of my new allotment.

http://www.chillingtonhoes.com/

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks lads,

but I really cannot do it by hand. Its too big,rocky and hard will take forever.I simply have not 2 weeks to spend digging.
    I suppose my only option then is a mini digger? just spent 3000 on the tank etc and am broke. Might give the guy who done it a call and tell him he finished it wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

When you had the digger there, you should have used a rake attachment to do the job. I have seen it used on a mini digger to great effect. It was just scraped along the soil like you would do with an ordinary rake.

Advertisement