Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live Connection Problems

Options
  • 17-07-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

My cousin is having some Xbox live connection problems. He connects his Xbox directly to the modem and his ISP is UPC. There are no routers involved. We have established that this is not an internet problem as it works fine through his PC. He uses the same wire to connect the xbox as he does to the PC. So he just plugs one out when he wants to use the other.

We have reset the modem, plugged it in and out. Reset all the network connections on the Xbox to factory defaults. Reset it all up and it happens again.

Basically every 5 minutes it will disconnect him from Xbox live and reconnect him immediately without any delay as if the connection never dropped.

Kind of at a stump because there is no router so cant be a port issue? ISP is fine as it works flawlessly with his PC. Only thing i can think of is its the Xbox but what can he do?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi,

I don't have UPC and I only use wireless router. But if you can change settings through the modem, it might be a thing called, "Reauthenication timer". I had a problem when we first got our Eircom router/modem, where it was timing out every say, five to 30 mins.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

well...if you wanna check the cisco upc box
    putting 192.168.1.1 into your browser should bring up your router/modems menu page..just press enter if it asks for login info.

when you test the connection on your xbox...does it mention that your nat settings are strict?

only thing i can think of that you could try is......when your in a ranked xbox live lobby (like searching for opponents) unplug your router .....wait 30 seconds then plug it back in....then reconnect to xboxlive and see if that fixes it......doing this..changes the nat settings and a few other things for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sounds like a Ports or NAT issue, like the above posters, check your NAT settings on the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 flanella35

call xbox live, they are very helpful & they are based in Dublin during office hours, 01 2420758

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

flanella35 wrote: »
    call xbox live, they are very helpful & they are based in Dublin during office hours, 01 2420758

1800 509 186 - Call from a landline and its free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thanks for all the responces and help guys.

Iv had him confirm his NAT settings are set to open and he hasnt had a problem there. I gave him the Xbox live contact number mentioned above hopefully he gets some help through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

There's a thread on boards about UPC connection dropping : [HTML]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055827236&page=17[/HTML]

I'd say get your friend to read through that too. If his modem micro-disconnects, you would not notice it on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

@MarkJD i'm guessing the issue is resolved?

If not, apart from NAT settings(opening ports) it could also be the MTU or UPnP.

MTU settings has to be least 1364 & UPnP is enabled. You may be required to contact your internet service provider to guide you through these settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Yup if everything has been set accordinly then there is something up with your net and not the Xbroz.

Best of luck with it, me and my eircom router had a lovely time getting the ports to work(Note sarcism)

Advertisement