Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema Portlaoise

Options
  • 17-07-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Apologies if this topic has already been posted and I'm 'spamming'. New to Port and like most people want to hit the cinema every so often, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on storm cinema?

I'm trying to find out about the seats, like comfort and leg room wise? I'm just out of back surgery and waiting on knee surgery so I'm trying to be careful about were I go so I dont end up crying infront of a cinema having misjudged a seat. I was up in Dublin recently visiting friends and went to a cinema in Dun Laoghaire, had to leave half way in because I was crippled in agony with the cramped nature of the place. Whats the place like? Any advice would be greatly appreciated by this old cripple :p

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Go to UCI in Newbridge, new projectors, new screens and new sound. Also premier seating and reduced parking for UCI customers in the multi storey and butter on your pop corn if you want it:)

Also better selection of flims in UCI and the premier seating has lots of extra leg room.

I have in the past spent the 1st 5 mins of a film watching it upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Seating isn't great. Then again most cinema seats hurt me after awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Go to UCI in Newbridge, new projectors, new screens and new sound. Also premier seating and reduced parking for UCI customers in the multi storey and butter on your pop corn if you want it:)

Also better selection of flims in UCI and the premier seating has lots of extra leg room.

I have in the past spent the 1st 5 mins of a film watching it upside down

Have to agree with this....the premier seats are wider, better support and great leg room than the normal seats. Since UCI has opened havent got near Portlaoise cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It should also be noted that UCI now own Storm and upgrades are planned.........sometime:D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

It should also be noted that UCI now own Storm and upgrades are planned.........sometime:D

Sweet! There's no comparison between Storm Portlaoise & UCI Newbridge but I also don't want to have to drive for 30-40 mins and pay for parking when I go to the cinema. I like Storm myself, seats are ok, place is never too busy and the food is standard cinema fare but it has a charm that I like.

I'd love if somewhere down here showed classic movie screenings. I'm sick of people telling me they saw Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings etc at special screenings in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

We only ever go to Portlaoise if the film we want isn't on anywhere else. I went to see the Kings Speech there one Sunday, there was absolutely NO heating on in the place and we had to huddle under a few coats. You could literally see your breath.
    Complained afterwards and the girl said, thanks for letting us know, someone told us after the earlier screening alright and we have to get it fixed. They shouldn't have been selling tickets for it if they knew we'd be sitting in a freezer!

Brought two kids to see kung fu panda 2 about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday and the film started sort of upside down, like the feet were at the top of the screen and the heads of people were at the bottom. Had to go out to get them to fix it. About halfway through the film then the power went off altogether and it was another 5 minutes before they sorted that out.

Sorry I just realised I never answered your original question - I've never noticed particularly small leg room but some of the rows are staggered so you could ask for a chair with nobody in front of you! Otherwise I recommend Newbridge instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

OP,why don't you pop into Storm,and ask to see the set-up? They'd hardly refuse,I'm sure they'd welcome chance to have any custom come their way.
    Some of their screening rooms are smaller and less comfortable than others,but you could decide yourself having seen them.

It is convenient though,I don't think I could be a**ed to go to Newbridge to see a film when Storm is only a hop,skip and jump away.( Unless it's 3D or not being shown in Portlaoise.)
    Worth considering Dunamaise theatre also-sometimes they show films that aren't screened in Storm,plus you'll get different audience(no teens with phones beeping) rant over

genie_us- :was there a few years back, and the place was freezing.Wouldn't be surprised if they pull that "have to get it fixed" lark repeatedly, must be so expensive to heat the place throughout and put on a film for only a few people every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

It is about average leg room, you wont be cramped but couldn't extend your legs out fully or anything, if you're average height. If you are sitting at the isle you might able to stretch outs a bit more and if your film is in screen 3, there are some seats at the back with no seats in front of them so plenty of leg room there. But that limits your viewing to whatever is in that screen really.

As the person above says if you go in and ask can you just see the seats and explain your situation I'm sure they will oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Leg room and comfort in Portlaoise is grand. I am a fairly big guy, and have no problem.

But I always drive to Newbridge now. Its less than 30 minutes.Portlaoise always seems dirty, the floor is always sticky, toilets are old, locks broken etc, dirty, and cold.

I cannot justify paying €9.80 for that kind of service.

Newbridge is clean, comfortable, better student rate (I use my friends student card !) Great sound and image fits perfectly on the screen, and they show movies in 2D. I hate 3D.

They also have a reasonably priced snack deal of a drink, a bag of sweets and a bag of popcon for €3.50. They are not massive bags, but more than enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Heretic. Must buy wheelbarrow sized popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

msthe80s wrote: »
    genie_us- :was there a few years back, and the place was freezing.Wouldn't be surprised if they pull that "have to get it fixed" lark repeatedly, must be so expensive to heat the place throughout and put on a film for only a few people every time.

Came across this a few times, especially if you go there midweek.

Advertisement