Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Retro Titles on XBLA

• 17-07-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are the best titles to get for xbla.
    Since i've got my xbox in my astro now I've loaded up with Microsoft points and want to spend wisely

So far I've got all the fighters..Garou,Marvel v capcom,KOF,Final Fight etc.

Shooter wise I've bought...
    The two metal slugs
    Guwange
    Ikaruga
    Trouble witches
    REZ
    Space Invaders IG
    Triggerheart Exelcia
    Gunstar heroes

Platform/random
    Bubble booble
    Rainbow Islands
    Castlevania SOTN

I am missing any gems out there or do people recommend anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Robotron and Double Dragon are gone but Final fight/Magic sword is great value, as is anything by Namco, Konami, Sega and Atari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah the final fight/magic sword is a great package.Yeah i was looking for Double Dragon.
    Why do they delete games!!! makes no sense
    Any thing else specifically from the developers you've listed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rtype dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Galaga DX and Castle Crashers are pretty enjoyable.

Yeah the final fight/magic sword is a great package.Yeah i was looking for Double Dragon.
    Why do they delete games!!! makes no sense
    Any thing else specifically from the developers you've listed

Most games are rarely deleted. The reason so many games by Midway-Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Paper boy, Robotron etc- were deleted was because Midway ceased to be and were bought by Warner Brothers ,who set up Neather Realms, which has the Mortal Kombat staff. During late Summer a HD Mortal Kombat collection is coming to XBLA.

I heard Outrun is due to be deleted in a few months. I'd really recommend getting it as it's a great game. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega deletes a lot of their M.D. games in time. They like to continously recycle their classics as most of their new games suck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Azure_sky wrote: »
    They like to continously recycle their classics as most of their new games suck.

Nintendo do XBLA too?? :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nintendo do XBLA too?? :p

51PvylxD9GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

skyward_sword_boxart.jpg

PunchoutFinalWiiboxboxart_160w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-tracks-cover.png

e3-2010-mario-kart-3ds-screens-20100615115225641_640w.jpg

40531_new_super_mario_bros_3d.png

box_115681-hd.jpg

176521-mario_galaxy_box_art_large.jpg
    I rest my case.:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whatever about the others, anyone who lumps Super Mario Galaxy in with recycling old content is simply wrong on every level :pac:

Whatever about the others, anyone who lumps Super Mario Galaxy in with recycling old content is simply wrong on every level :pac:

Why? It's Mario 64 with nicer paint & better controls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Bit off topic but new super mario bros is a great game, playing through it with the other half, have all the gold coins now on all worlds, just have to get the ones on the star road and we are done. Its a great multiplayer game if a little fustrating at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

phoenix-wright-objection.jpg

Argument for another thread though so won't drag this any further off topic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think you can see yourself out, don't forget your coat...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can't really see Metroid Prime 3 as recycling, given that it is the third in a trilogy.
    I mean, would you really have sacrificed that game to get to the newer and sh1ttier Other M that but sooner?
    And anyways, those three Metroid games are great, no more bad talking them, I love them, you should too, so there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's the wrongest thing you've said enternow since the PS2 is more powerful than the Gamecube except this time what you said breaks the incitement of hatred laws.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you can see yourself out, don't forget your coat...

Hmm, where's my coat...oh there it is beside the Streets Of Rage poster :p
    Can't really see Metroid Prime 3 as recycling, given that it is the third in a trilogy.
    I mean, would you really have sacrificed that game to get to the newer and sh1ttier Other M that but sooner?
    And anyways, those three Metroid games are great, no more bad talking them, I love them, you should too, so there!

I think we need some new IP's is all...we can still have all our IP's of 20 years ago like, but it wouldn't hurt to invest heavily in building some new & innovative.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's the wrongest thing you've said enternow since the PS2 is more powerful than the Gamecube except this time what you said breaks the incitement of hatred laws.

Lol, says yer man with NO nes, thinks the Zelda cdi games are good games & true to the series, & dresses up as wimmin for fun...I told you ages ago your opinion in null & void until you get a NES around here :p

Hmm, where's my coat...oh there it is beside the Streets Of Rage poster :p

Bitch!
    I think we need some new IP's is all...we can still have all our IP's of 20 years ago like, but it wouldn't hurt to invest heavily in building some new & innovative.
    But they are,
    No More Heroes
    Bioshock
    Halo ;)
    Lol, says yer man with NO nes, thinks the Zelda cdi games are good games & true to the series, & dresses up as wimmin for fun...I told you ages ago your opinion in null & void until you get a NES around here :p
    It's all true!

You'd have to wonder what a casual wanderer into these forums thinks is going on!
    Is it any wonder we get so few new regulars?
    Retr0 with hsi deviant behaviour and Atavan with his drinking scares them off, and don't get me started with Sparks' love of teens on screen, Johnnys frankly frightening love of odd japanese noodle dishes and Pdbhp and his ownership of Game security tape and a belief that his car is, in fact, KITT from Knight Rider capable of amazing feats.

No wonder Logie stays so quiet...

I'm glad I'm normal,

bit lonely here though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd rather a small forum with a great group of regulars than a busy one flooded with with screaming morons!

I've tried posting on bigger games forums and you just get idiots who do not listen.

'RGB scart is the best video connection you can get for your Megadrive'

'I see your point, but my opinion that RF is better is valid, as everyone is entitled to an opinion'

JUST JUST, NO! How the hell do you argue with that?! Other than blasting them with piss.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd rather a small forum with a great group of regulars than a busy one flooded with with screaming morons!

I've tried posting on bigger games forums and you just get idiots who do not listen.

'RGB scart is the best video connection you can get for your Megadrive'

'I see your point, but my opinion that RF is better is valid, as everyone is entitled to an opinion'

JUST JUST, NO! How the hell do you argue with that?! Other than blasting them with piss.

You've been to the atheism discussion forums haven't you?
    When the Darwin deniers turn up it always descends into palmslaps to the forehead...

I think the biggest turnoff for newcomers to this forum is that every topic tends to descend into entirely different arguments after about a page or two :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You've been to the atheism discussion forums haven't you?
    When the Darwin deniers turn up it always descends into palmslaps to the forehead...

Oh feck, don't get me started on that.

You think you're having a logical debate, making some progress...then suddenly faith and 'entitled opinions' come into it and the sheer force of your facepalm throws you from your chair, through a few walls and you end up confused, naked on your arse out in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Deviating back on topic (:p), is Jamestown coming to XBLA or just Steam only? That would be a good one to play on the cab. Actually, I see Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is coming out August 3rd, seems like that's been in dev for aeons now.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Deviating back on topic (:p), is Jamestown coming to XBLA or just Steam only? That would be a good one to play on the cab. Actually, I see Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is coming out August 3rd, seems like that's been in dev for aeons now.

Hopefully so, a lot of the bigger indie games like Torchlight or Zeno Clash have made the transition to Xbox so fingers crossed! Couldn't be that tricky to port either, not the most hardware intensive of games!

Last time I spoke off topic I got reported, to myself, very conflicted was I young Padawan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

unky, you ARE buying a third cab for tate then eventually?

Right? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I'd love to.
    It's a crime playing all the vert shooters in horizontal mode.
    I really only play Guwange and Ikaruga on it at the moment so it ain't worth switching the monitor to vert...to much hassle

On another note..I can't wait for Guardian Heroes

You want a crime? I out of curiosity put the PS1 version of DoDonPachi onto my PSP for ****s and giggles.

On the default setting, it's deeply amusing how difficult it is on a screen that takes up maybe a quarter of the available space :P. There are options to change it I only discovered when playing a different game, but I learned that the PSP is most certainly not designed for vertical shooters. And a shame too, because when you change the screen settings it looks amazing taking up the whole screen. Shame you can't play it like that. Sony need to learn something from the Wonderswan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

You want a crime? I out of curiosity put the PS1 version of DoDonPachi onto my PSP for ****s and giggles.

On the default setting, it's deeply amusing how difficult it is on a screen that takes up maybe a quarter of the available space :P. There are options to change it I only discovered when playing a different game, but I learned that the PSP is most certainly not designed for vertical shooters. And a shame too, because when you change the screen settings it looks amazing taking up the whole screen. Shame you can't play it like that. Sony need to learn something from the Wonderswan.

True that JU, I play 1942 with the screen orientation correct but the controls are all messed up with the shooting buttons on top, it blows big time

Yeah, it's a shame because 5 years on it's still the purtiest handheld screen around. A thing of glory it is!

Ah the PSP. If it wasn't for the controls, it'd be a masterpiece! Few consoles have such a variety of great obscurities. The nub, though, the frickin' nub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Yeah, it's a shame because 5 years on it's still the purtiest handheld screen around. A thing of glory it is!

Ah the PSP. If it wasn't for the controls, it'd be a masterpiece! Few consoles have such a variety of great obscurities. The nub, though, the frickin' nub!

It's not just the nub but the positioning of the nub it is designed to give carpal tunnel syndrome instantly, not to mention the positioning of the power switch which can be pushed easily when getting stuck into the R button

• Advertisement
Advertisement