Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we have any Boardsies living in St Kilda

Options
  • 17-07-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering do we have anyone of the forum posters backpacking in St Kilda Melbourne?

Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Zambia wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering do we have anyone of the forum posters backpacking in St Kilda Melbourne?

Z

Yes... In November :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

im in richmond, better criac i think and only 20 mins on the bus if i need to get down to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Chapel Street/Prahran. Very close tbh. Was living in Middle Park for a while too.

Why do you ask Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Lived in accland st for 7 months

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dog Lipstick

I'm fairly close by living in Balaclava, just a hop, skip and a tram away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok No one yet.

You see I am being told St Kilda is chock full of Irish but apart from a few I have not heard anyone actually claim to live there.

So I was hoping to see if we had people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

i lived there until about 2 weeks ago.
    i knew alot of irish people living in st kilda, it is chock full of irish people just not many boardsies :)

Ok No one yet.

You see I am being told St Kilda is chock full of Irish but apart from a few I have not heard anyone actually claim to live there.

So I was hoping to see if we had people there.

Yeah. Its got a lot of Irish, but a different Irish demographic to those you'd expect to post on here. That probably reads worse than the way I mean it.

Its also the place you hear a lot of Irish people at home talking about. Its certainly the place we were told is the place to be when we were coming out here, its not at all though. Its alright during the summer I guess, pretty bleak during the winter (to be expected). Beach is ****e though.

I do like Acland street though and the Vineyard.

I would have to agree the reports I am getting do not match the demographic that posts here.

Is anyone who is going out there noticing that the streets are full of of Drunken Irish?

Basically the whole idea of this is I am looking for first hand accounts.

I've ran into a good few Irish when out on Fitzroy. We are definitely more drunk/drink more than our Ozzie counterparts.

'Full of Drunken Irish' though, like ANYTHING to do with Ireland and drinking is a pretty big exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Live in the cbd. Been out in kilda twice and all i met were British people. Granted one time was elephant and wheelbarrow :p

I've ran into a good few Irish when out on Fitzroy. We are definitely more drunk/drink more than our Ozzie counterparts.

'Full of Drunken Irish' though, like ANYTHING to do with Ireland and drinking is a pretty big exaggeration.
    I never said the streets were "Full of Drunken Irish" I really was asking were they?

If that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I'm living on St Kilda road so only a stones throw away really.

There is a lot of Irish people in and around St Kilda. I was in Coles on Acland street one sunday and i may as well have been in dunnes at home :pac:
    If you go the elephant and wheelbarrow ona saturday night the crowd is 90% or more Irish.
    I think there is just a higher concentration of Irish people in St Kilda compared to the rest of Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have friends in st kilda, stay with them when the melbourne cup is on

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Living in Richmond, was down in St. Kilda on Saturday but in an Aussie pub where Irish dont go!

The Irish pub close by seemed pretty busy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Poker Engineer

Hey Zambia, I'm living on Fitzroy st and managed to get a job 10 min walk away so i see st kilda at its best and worst, it's not bad at all to be honest I've seen more drunken dicks with aussie accents than Irish ones.
    There are a lot of Irish in the area especially in the elephant and wheelbarrow which i kinda like especially when the Gaa is on the telly.
    I like the fact that there is a large community of Irish people in the area without it being completely Irish means I can hang out with a crowd of boggers like myself if i ever get home sick and then hang out with the rest of multi-cultural melbourne when I'm sick of ye again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Working in St Kilda quite a few years now....
    From June until Spring carnival starts in September, the place is always a bit flat. You will be less likely to see so many people falling down drunk at this time of year though some of the Gatwick hotel residents (local flophouse) are having no problems in that department at all.
    That said, I think that there's been an increase in the longer term Irish around in the past year.

You should ask the question again in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'll be there the 5th, can't wait

Why are you going to St Kilda? Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Why are you going to St Kilda? Just asking.

Got news about an hour ago that the lads I was going to are in Sydney so I don't know, have other friends there at the moment so I'll have to look into it, otherwise it's a hostel for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

im in st kilda..
    my mate lives in a sweet apartment here
    got here two months ago and moved in with him
    i dont think there's that many drunken irish here
    i have seen a few fights tho..
    mostly i go out in richmond tho..
    there seems to nearly always be irish people drinking
    outsode le roche and the seabaths is full of paddys!
    they must have plenty money!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I'm in St Kilda East, pretty much Balaclava, was living in Elwood for about 4months before though. There was/is a lot of Irish around but I think more so in Jan/Feb/March when the weather was nicer.

Coles on Accland street could be like Dunnes Stores any night of the week though :)

I would expect they would be more out an about in summer like the rest of us. Happy to hear the cases I am hearing about are not the normal day to day events in St Kilda.

Advertisement