Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHORT TERM INSURANCE

• 17-07-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Do any of you know of a broker/company that will do short term insurance on a camper?.
    My insurance is due mid August but due to medical reasons I expect to be off the road from mid Oct. to at least Feb.

When I first took out the policy with Dolmans they told me that no-one will do short term. I haven't been back onto them yet so not sure if this
    is still the case.

Any info. appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi Irishgoatman

No idea as to whether you can get short term insurance.
    Are you thinking about leaving the van "uninsured" when your "off the road"?
    If so, is this a good idea - what happens if the van is damaged when parked up etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Malta1 wrote: »
    Hi Irishgoatman

No idea as to whether you can get short term insurance.
    Are you thinking about leaving the van "uninsured" when your "off the road"?
    If so, is this a good idea - what happens if the van is damaged when parked up etc?

No problem. As with any winter, it will be in the barn with a tractor parked in front of it:D.
    Normally I would take it out for a few runs but this winter it will just be down the farm road and back again a few times.
    I know that I might just have to renew the ins. as normal, cancel it when I tuck it away and take a bit of a hit on any refund they give me (if any).
    but, obviously if I can get round this, for just about 2 months, mid Aug - mid Oct. it would be preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If you are considering laying up without insurance, I recomend removing or isolating the batteries, gas & fuel. I've been lucky twice nearly losing laidup vehicles to fire. I dont even park my lawnmower in the shed anymore.

2 stroke wrote: »
    If you are considering laying up without insurance, I recomend removing or isolating the batteries, gas & fuel. I've been lucky twice nearly losing laidup vehicles to fire. I dont even park my lawnmower in the shed anymore.

I hope I don't sound rude, but I do know what I'm doing.

The gas gets turned off, the leisure battery gets disconnected, the radiator has anti-feeeze and the vehicle gets started every week.

We are talking about a barn, not a shed.

I could, of course, wrap it in cotton wool but that seems a bit extreme.:D

The question I asked when I started this thread remains the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

You rude? Never. I just had visions of others reading this and deciding to do the same as you with their €70k investments. There is an idiot born every day.
    I did meet up with a guy last year that was insured with one of the regular insurance companies, guardian iirc. He said they were nowhere near competitive annually, but they allowed payment by instalment and he only planned paying one month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I hope I don't sound rude, but I do know what I'm doing.

I could, of course, wrap it in cotton wool but that seems a bit extreme.:D

Just cause Mayo won the football, they think they can get away with anything :p:p:p

Mayo footballers (congrats to them, crappy weather they had to contend with) had a better day than I've had.

As far as paying by instalments is concerned, to default after the first payment could make it harder to get insurance again, and besides, that's not the way I operate.
    I'll be ringing Dolmans tomorrow afternoon so I'll post how I get on.

I'll check this thread before I call them just in case anyone has any helpful suggestions.

Have just spoken with Dolman Ins.
    No short term Insurance but if I cancel a refund will be calculated on a pro-rata basis. No charge for cancelling which is good.

The pain is that when I want to start the insurance again I have to go through all the procedure as if I was a new customer!. This will require the camper to have a DOE cert, this for me is no problem as I get it DOE'd anyway, but for some people, those who think that a camper shouldn't have a test done, it could prove a problem.

I'm going to start a new thread in order to get the names of all the brokers and insurance companies that do camper insurance in order to do some price comparisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have just spoken with Dolman Ins.
    No short term Insurance but if I cancel a refund will be calculated on a pro-rata basis. No charge for cancelling which is good.

The pain is that when I want to start the insurance again I have to go through all the procedure as if I was a new customer!. This will require the camper to have a DOE cert, this for me is no problem as I get it DOE'd anyway, but for some people, those who think that a camper shouldn't have a test done, it could prove a problem.

I'm going to start a new thread in order to get the names of all the brokers and insurance companies that do camper insurance in order to do some price comparisons.

Can you suspend camper policies? I've done it several times with car policies. Then you aren't coming back as a new customer and still get refunded the layed up time.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can you suspend camper policies? I've done it several times with car policies. Then you aren't coming back as a new customer and still get refunded the layed up time.

The short answer is NO.
    At least not with Dolman/AXA.

Advertisement