Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRT+Bluray+HDMI????

• 17-07-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Here's what I have: Sony BDP-S350 Bluray player Sony STR-KS1100 AV amplifier Philips 32" CRT TV The Sony equipment is obviously way newer than the Philips TV. I've tried hooking them up as follows: VIDEO OUT from the Bluray player to video in on the TV using an RCA cable. That works and I get an image on the TV. HDMI OUT from the Bluray player to HDMI IN 2 (this seems to be the preferred input for Bluray) on the AV amplifier. This does not work, I select this input on the amp but get no sound from the speakers. The speakers are working because I can use the tuner function and listen to the radio. I got the Sony equipment from a friend who was upgrading and I have done a factory reset on both units. 1. Should the above work? 2. What sort of video quality do you get from an RCA connection? There are some vertical lines running top to bottom on the screen. 3. If I use another RCA cable from LR audio out on the Bluray to LR audio in on the amp, I get sound. What am I losing out on by doing it this way? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

The RCA video out on a blu ray player is there usually for troubleshooting purposes only , what you get over that connections is strictly SD only and the worst kind of SD at that , its a composite signal.

Really , its a waste of time hooking a blu ray player up to a old CRT TV. You get none of the benefits of the format.
    HDMI OUT from the Bluray player to HDMI IN 2 (this seems to be the preferred input for Bluray) on the AV amplifier. This does not work,

Regarding the HDMI connection. There usually must be a screen at the end of the chain that is HDMI compatible for that connection to work. HDMI has an EDID signal which is a continous two way connection between source ( the player ) and sink ( the screen ) , without this connection , the HDMI channel usually does not work.
    Sound data over HDMI is mixed in with the video data , without the EDID handshake , you get no picture and no sound.

By using RCA for both video and sound , you get the worst kind of video , and of course you get plain stereo sound , no DTS or Dolby digital and certainly none of the new HD lossless sound formats as these are HDMI only.

You need a new TV to get the best from the rest of your gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Thanks for the info...looks like I'll be shopping for a TV so! Cheers!

Advertisement