Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Memory message for Dog!

• 17-07-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I would like some opinions on the insertion in Friday's Evening Herald. It is a memorial to a "much loved Dog". I have attatched the ad itself as it is self explanatory. What it does not tell you is the cost, at approximatly €5.32 per line and €100 for photo, this ad costs in the region of €286. This is more than unemployment rate per wk and yet the priest in Finglas thinks its ok to spend so much to tell us about his dead Dog! He also goes on to tell us that if we think there is no Dog above then we might also claim there is no God!!!!! I personally find so much wrong with this that I do not know where to start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

mog24 wrote: »
    I would like some opinions on the insertion in Friday's Evening Herald. It is a memorial to a "much loved Dog". I have attatched the ad itself as it is self explanatory. What it does not tell you is the cost, at approximatly €5.32 per line and €100 for photo, this ad costs in the region of €286. This is more than unemployment rate per wk and yet the priest in Finglas thinks its ok to spend so much to tell us about his dead Dog! He also goes on to tell us that if we think there is no Dog above then we might also claim there is no God!!!!! I personally find so much wrong with this that I do not know where to start.
    It's his money he can do what he wants with it. He was obviously very fond of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mog24

Is it his money? Where does the Church get their money if not from the churchgoers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Brilliant! :D

It's a pity more parish priests don't get with the times. I think it sends a great message to all pet owners, all creatures great and small and all that. I'm not too sure if that was the intention but it that's how it comes across to me anyway. Would you have a problem if it was a memorial for a member of his human family? If not then you should have no problem with this either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Is it his money? Where does the Church get their money if not from the churchgoers?

True, Its funny though.

He does his job and gets paid for it, nobody complains if the man in reception in the social welfare office (who is completely incompetent by the way) spends his wages on a new car or foreign holiday and everybody is paying into the state coffers and without having a choice in the matter which is not the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Would have been better off giving the money to a dog shelter TBH rather than giving it to that rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Whats the big deal? Poor guy obviously loved his dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Then should my customers get to decide how I spend my money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Maybe its guilt, Maybe he killed the dog to hide evidence, Well the priests are known for hiding things..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

charlemont wrote: »
    Maybe its guilt, Maybe he killed the dog to hide evidence, Well the priests are known for hiding things..:rolleyes:
    wtf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I think it's sweet. Dogs are brilliant (many pets are) and priests don't take a vow of poverty so he has spent his money on his doggy.

I applauded it and any one who knows him should send a card, rember because his devotion of his life to serving the spiritual needs of others he has no wife no kids so his dog is his family.

Tigger wrote: »
    I applauded it and any one who knows him should send a card

+1 :)

(and I never post +1's!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Whoever claims there is no dog above, might also claim there is no god of love.

What a touching line. :(

I hope Fr Hannon feels better for honouring his pet in that way. I don't see an issue with it what so ever, he's entitled to do with his money as he wants. For all the flack priests have gotten lately, it's a lonely job. He's probably just lost his best friend. If it wasn't a priest would you have an issue with the ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He obviously adored his dog, poor fella must be devastated after him. We tend not to respect the genuine grief that people feel when their pets die. It's very hard to know what to do with your grief, and if this piece gave the priest a bit of comfort, I say, what harm? Had to have been a very lucky dog, to be loved so much. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

€286 for 10+ years of dedication is a drop in the ocean for what most dogs deserved at the end of their lives imo.
    Leave the man alone and let him mourn his friend (and probably only close family) however he sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Honestly I think if all you can find wrong with an individual is that they spent 286 yoyos on an ad then they are doing pretty well in this life!

Priests as with all of us should be allowed the occasional "frivilous" spend of money also.
    If it was a habit of his then I could someway understand your feeling.

The second part you seem to have an issue with is if there is no dog above then there is no God........well I wonder do you think that God created living creatures and only some of us will go above and some of us wont...............and how do you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So he does a job and gets paid, but he's not allowed to spend his wages on what he wants?

Do you go with him to Tesco/Supervalue/Dunnes every week to make sure that he doesn't buy any luxuries to eat? Surely he really should only get the very basics of food. I hope that he doesn't have a TV, imagine if he had Sky:eek:

I don't find anything wrong with what he did, but I do find it very wrong when someone judges someone else for mourning something that was obviously very important in their lives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I see nothing wrong with the ad, the man obviously loved his dog and he felt this would help. Would anyone have a problem if he paid that amount for a column about godly things or if the message was about a person? Personally I'd like to see priests talk about animal issues more often, there are loads of puppy farmers, animal abusers etc who go to mass every sunday and sit and listen about humanitarian issues or tut tut and purse their lips at talk about child/elderly people abuse.

If it's an issue of him spending money given in good faith (or however they get their money) I know of priests who smoke and drive new cars, should luxuries such as cigarettes, tv's, luxury food items, new cars etc be taken away from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I would like some opinions on the insertion in Friday's Evening Herald.
    Beautiful and heartfelt. Fair play to him! €286...ive seen much MUCH more spent on worse things. She was probably his "buddy"....we all know how painful that is losing them.:o

I spent a small fortune on mine,she deserved it and i will never regret spending one single cent of it on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We all deal with the loss of a dog in different ways. Personally I don't dwell on it because it's too painful & having two or more dogs is a huge help when you lose one because you still have to focus on them.

I live on my own & have a very close relationship with my three. This is the first time that I have been alone following many years of human relationships. There is no question that I am closer to the dogs now than I have ever been simply because I interact with them so much more. My period of being alone has made me much more aware of their language & especially their interactions with each other. It can become an incredible close bond that others just cannot understand - maybe that's why we congregate here to be with our kind !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apparently it was his sister's dog, he used to travel a lot to go visit them.

For a priest who has taken a vow of chastity, I imagine immediate family plays an even more important part in their life, since they do not have spouses or children of their own. So if his only family were his sister and her dog, I can see how he would become very attached to his "niece".

What I find weird is how people can get offended by a simple in memory message for a beloved pet? All that really matters is how much the dog meant to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

it's his money and does whatever he wants with it .... jealousy really is a terrible thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Well I think it is a lovely gesture and as others have said it is his money to do with as he wishes

Advertisement