Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill Thread

Options
  • 17-07-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Searched for Silent Hill and found some of the most recent threads on Silent Hill were from 9 years ago! So I thought I'd start up a new one. I'm a huge fan of the first three games and I never managed to beat the fourth, stopped playing somewhere around 2004 as my save seems to suggest, so I thought I'd try again last and I immediately remembered why I'd stopped playing. However, I'm gonna slog it through until the end so I can actually say I finished it.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the Silent Hill universe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

First one was pretty solid back in the day. The second one was one of my favorite games when it came out. I played it for months, getting all the endings, secrets etc. The atmosphere in that game is amazing, and the sound amazing.

Unfortunately it was downhill from there. 3 was pretty good, but focused more on action. The room was ok, and the rest I haven't been bothered with.

I will keep an eye on the new one and hope that is is something good, but I wont hold my breath.

I will always have 2 tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Only ever played the first one , must of been 8 at the time , was too scared after the start. Might pick up the silent hill collection this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Only ever played the first one , must of been 8 at the time , was too scared after the start. Might pick up the silent hill collection this year ;)

Pick them up now on the cheap. If you didn't finish the first one, do, it won't be part of the collection. And as far as I know they're going to be doing new voiceovers for the collection (and assuming it goes down like The Twin Snakes remake of MGS1, it probably won't be anywhere near as good as the original).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I drifted away from the Silent Hill games quite a few years ago. I still think the second one is the scariest game I've ever played, and is a masterpiece of atmospheric gaming. I remember giving Silent Hill 4: The Room a spin back in the day and really enjoying it. Unfortunately though, I'd only borrowed it, so I didn't get too many hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

last one I played was 4, havent bothered with the series since, for some reasno I dont think it suits the HD look, I prefer the grainy ps2 graphics of 2 and 3, looks too polished now. SH 2 is amazing, still is to this day one of the scariest games ever, its not so much the jumps its the overpowering sense of dread no matter where you are, the sound design is incredible as well.

• Advertisement

I just completed the 4th installment and all I can say is I'll probably never play it again. I got the worst ending of all of them but somehow that doesn't phase me too much. Two boss battles and one was essentially just an oversized puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm the same, last I played was 4: The Room. COOOOL concept but then half way through it was like ok take this gimp of a biitch back through all the levels :eek: awful game design.

SH 2 was so class, I got the
    Water
    ending where it turns out
    you were the one that killed your wife to stop her sufferring and then drives into the water and kills himself

One of the most emotional endings I've ever witnessed to a game.

Not pushed on them any more though,they just lost their way I think. The new SH Downpour (i think thats what its called?) looks okay but just not grabbing me.

Pity an all, it was the one series where my gf would encourage me to play just so she could watch it. She pointed out SH Homecoming in HMV but I just wasn't pushed. Was Homecoming any good? It's going cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

last one i played was 3. it was so ages ago, i think i played it on ps2. was good game.

i just walked away and newer looked back when american company took over, i knew it will be **** after this. dont know who did 3 thought.

still one of the most scariest games you can ever play. its a shame that RE and SH games went from horror survivalto **** it is now :(

i will be killed for this, but i thought sillent hill movie was very good. scary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Only ever played one and two, i was 10 when i played the first one and it scared the shít out of me :rolleyes: only played two recently and it was absolutely beast, series just went downhill from there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I really enjoyed the movie. Think it may be the best film adaptation of a video game.

I like it for the nightmarishly grotesque scenes.

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the movie. Think it may be the best film adaptation of a video game.

I like it for the nightmarishly grotesque scenes.

i had such an itch to watch it tonight and i cant find it :(. i gave it to my sis by the looks of it... ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've only played the first SH, back when it came out (1999, I believe). Great game, I look forward to playing the others in the collection. I'm kinda curious about that Wii remake of the first one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

check this out really interesting about the new remakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtrO-eSwVw

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, really crappy not have the original voice actor. as much as i loved SH 1 & 2, I would rather them leave it be then make this 'HD remake' with different voice actors. Shiitty move Konami. Then again, I hear they are doing the same with the MGS hd remakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

check this out really interesting about the new remakes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtrO-eSwVw

That's so sad to hear about one of my favourite games ever. It sounds like Konami need to loosen the taut purse-strings of their bulging wallets and give the people what they're bloody owed. I'd no idea Konami suits were such bastards. I guess it's just business, and everyone screws you over.

Sounds like it'd be a better idea to completely remake 2 (and 3) much like Shattered Memories.

Quick thoughts on the SH movie; music and tone was perfect; but the plot was awful and featured far too many "hey look! i'm from a SH game!" moments; no reason for so many cameos. Just a terrible mess IMO. If they were going for "nonsensical nightmare" then they nailed it perfectly. I was just hoping they'd have a strong narrative, as SH games tend to have :)

Hell, just condense SH2 into a movie. That's one of my dream movies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played 1 and 2 back in the day and actually own 3 and 4 but never got round to playing them except a demo of 4 which didn't inspire me
    how many more games proper were there on PS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

SH : Origins and Shattered Memories (SH1 remake) were the two other PS2 SH games released. tbh haven't heard much good about Origins; and SM uses a lot of flashlight and searching; i'd recommend it on Wii instead.

They've both been out for a while; should be cheap now. GT has some good reviews of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Quick thoughts on the SH movie; music and tone was perfect; but the plot was awful and featured far too many "hey look! i'm from a SH game!" moments; no reason for so many cameos. Just a terrible mess IMO. If they were going for "nonsensical nightmare" then they nailed it perfectly. I was just hoping they'd have a strong narrative, as SH games tend to have :)

As someone who hasn't played anything beyond the first couple of hours of the original, I didn't notice anything particularly jarring in respect to superfluous moments. The plot was serviceable... but the film excels at horrifying and deserves a lot of credit for that.
    'grabby hand' moment always makes me laugh though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The first game was amazing when it came out. Genuinely scary in a way that didnt need to rely on jump scares. I remember in the nightmare school section, when i finally finished it and it became daytime and normal again, i was just like "oh thank christ".

2nd game is a horror game masterpiece. Great story, atmosphere through the roof, and graphics that are still impressive today.

3rd game, it was okay. I didnt think the story was up to much, and the ending was AWFUL. Absolutely abysmal. I remember just being like "what the fu*k *slams controller down* IS THIS ****".
    I have no memories of that game really aside from the terrible ending. After that i gave up on the series, never played anything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The first game was amazing when it came out. Genuinely scary in a way that didnt need to rely on jump scares. I remember in the nightmare school section, when i finally finished it and it became daytime and normal again, i was just like "oh thank christ".

Yes this was why I loved it, there were so many bits where you even expected something to jump out at you because of the music and environments and nothing happened but you were constantly kept on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Silent Hill 2 is my fave but I think SH3 is very good, too. Never finished 4.

I was really excited to hear about the HD re-releases. Get to experience the games again after such trash as all the new SHs and the new 3D movie that is obviously going to suck? Ugh. But now they're changing the voices because they're so tight on money? What utter diks they really are. They don't care about the fans OR the people who make their games.

So now they can't even re-release the classics right! This has got to be the worst F up a game company could ever do. It's so easy to upgrade the games to run off PS3 hardware. Okay maybe not easy but not impossible and certainly cheap! They'd be making such a killing.

I dunno if I'm gonna buy the HD re-releases now...

I got a letter. The game on the envelope said... Silent Hill 2. That's my favourite game's name. Couldn't possibly be true. And old game can't be new. So why am I considering buying it? Do I think Konami won't suck balls?

Also, I have a badass Maria poster.

sound tracks of 1-3 are just pure sex. thought it wouldnt be something i would listen on free time.

any good place where to get SH2? i newer played it :o.

i got old brick ps3, so i can play all ps1 ps2 and ps3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing through Shattered Memories, and quite like it. I enjoy that there's no combat, but while the running away instead is engaging at first it can get a bit confusing trying to find the exit. The psychology element is a bit ludicrous - worst psychiatrist ever! - but I hear it pays off at the end.

sound tracks of 1-3 are just pure sex. thought it wouldnt be something i would listen on free time.

any good place where to get SH2? i newer played it :o.

i got old brick ps3, so i can play all ps1 ps2 and ps3.

Get the Director's Cut of Silent Hill 2 if you are gonna pick it up. It includes a subscenario 'Born From a Wish' where you control another character related to the story and opens up a bit more as to why she's there in the first place, to flesh out parts the main game didn't explain a lot.

Try eBay or see even if any Gamestops have it in their PS2 preowned sections, sometimes you can find some real gems. I picked up Resi 4, Resi Code Veronica and Zone of the Enders for less than €15 around the corner from me last year.

Am I one of the few people who actually enjoyed SH Homecoming? :D

Cleared them all apart from SH3, never released on xbox IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

check this out really interesting about the new remakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtrO-eSwVw

Tight-arsed bastards! I really hate seeing this kinda stuff done. Personally, if I want to play through Silent Hill 1 or 2, I'll break out my old Playstations and play them instead of this whole HD fiasco that seems to be at every turn these days. I don't even own a HD TV, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

SH2 is an amazing game its the only silent hill game Ive properly played through. I remember playing it when it first came out, think i was about ten at the time and I had to turn it off when I got to the first monster I was so freaked out. A few years later I gave it another go and finished it. Probably one of my favourite games. Everthing in it was just done so well, the town itself, the atmosphere and the music. Still listen to the soundtrack ever now and then. I really wish I got a chance to play the first one. Hopefull they put it up on psn at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, really crappy not have the original voice actor. as much as i loved SH 1 & 2, I would rather them leave it be then make this 'HD remake' with different voice actors. Shiitty move Konami. Then again, I hear they are doing the same with the MGS hd remakes.
    They want to CHANGE the voices of Metal Gear?

NO.
    YOU DO NOT DO THAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The first two are extraordinary. The third is decent, and the fourth, although a massive departure, has more imagination in its little finger than fifty of its ilk, even if it is a poor addition to the Silent Hill series. After that, nah, the series just lost it's way.

But man, there's something about the mythology that seized my imagination and never really let go, even all these years on. Since the day I got the demo, and a vague, strange little leaflet, along with Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, the series just got a hook in me. Even if all the comics and sequels and movie since kind of sucked, I still keep an eye out in case it comes back to form.

I had high hopes for the movie, because there's so much going on in those early games that it seemed to me impossible to wrest anything less than a decent experience out of it, but no such luck. The first half has moments of genuine excellence, and there's a lot of visual flair, but ultimately its too superficial a reading of the games to be a worthwhile exercise on its own.

The music, as noted, was extraordinary. Atmospheric, clever and really innovative soundscapes, with a terrific amount of range, from big industrial noises to the mariachi strums. Although the weakest of the "core" games, SH4 probably has the strongest standalone soundtrack of the series. I keep it on my MP3 right next to my LCD Soundsystems and my Arcade Fires, and aside from a few cringeworthy J Pop indulgences, it's a hell of a record. It just sounds like empty buildings.

Advertisement