Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Am I one of the few people who actually enjoyed SH Homecoming?

There's this one guy on another forum that I know and he says it's his fave game and that it's the best SH. He also happens to be one of the biggest douchebags I've ever talked to. So you and him, the only 2 people I know that liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

still sends shivers down my spine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If you're a huge fan of a series, even if it's an average game, you'll relatively think it's a A+ game.

Read a few reviews of SH Homecoming and i wasn't awe-struck so didn't bother. Can you share some cool moments in the game (In spoiler tags lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

jaykhunter wrote: »
    If you're a huge fan of a series, even if it's an average game, you'll relatively think it's a A+ game.

Some of these fans also gain the ability to eat sh1t and make excuses. ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

I think homecoming is an ok game. 6 outta 10ish. Classic SH? No way, but decent. Has alot of simularities with SH2 as in it feels like they tried to steal alot of 2's ideas and cram them in to recapture its glory days but it feels a little forced. Its an interesting enough game even if the story is somewhat predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, ye think Downpour will be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So, ye think Downpour will be any good?

Not going to hold my breath after looking at that video. I think it's nice they added some of the fixed cameras but a lot of the portion of that video looked like Alan Wake, something I don't really want to see in a Silent Hill game (And I liked Alan Wake). I also noticed the game uses checkpoints too, which I think is pretty detrimental to the whole concept of a survival horror game keeping you on edge. You can take as many stupid risks as you want now safe in the knowledge there was a checkpoint 10 seconds back. I'd quite prefer the old save system myself. As for the combat, jury's still out on that one, I'll have to see more. Not sure if the idea of picking up random chairs and bottles and throwing them at Silent Hill monsters really appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

You only need to look as far as the trailers of the games to see how it is now-vs-how it used to be.

The old trailers were interesting mind-F***s in and of themselves. They inspired awe, mystery, and showcased the unique Silent Hill visual slant that the old installments used to take.

As far as I'm concerned, all the newer titles are just riding the coattails of the original 3, and to a lesser extent, 4.

I do love the originals though :D . They are great examples of the games which will probably be forgotten, but remain examples of what a game could be back when games were supposedly for children :}

Watching the Silent Hill 2 'Water' ending again, i'm gonna be depressed for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I've only ever played SH1+SH2 and loved them, but have never felt compelled to a)go back and play it again or b) go and play the rest of the series.

SH2 was just sheer perfection, so I think I didn't want my memory of that to be tainted by inferior additions to the series, if that makes sense. Which is probably why I don't want to play it again, as I'm sure the awkward controls would probably ruin the experience on me and again, taint my experience of the first play through.

Playing it at 18, pitch black room, sound turned way up, sh!tting every time the radio static noise came on... brilliant..

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Watching the Silent Hill 2 'Water' ending again, i'm gonna be depressed for the day!

There there...

:o you know... That ending is probably the most likely outcome :D

Roar wrote: »
    I've only ever played SH1+SH2 and loved them, but have never felt compelled to a)go back and play it again or b) go and play the rest of the series.

SH2 was just sheer perfection, so I think I didn't want my memory of that to be tainted by inferior additions to the series, if that makes sense. Which is probably why I don't want to play it again, as I'm sure the awkward controls would probably ruin the experience on me and again, taint my experience of the first play through.

Playing it at 18, pitch black room, sound turned way up, sh!tting every time the radio static noise came on... brilliant..

Silent Hill is one of those series where the atmosphere overpowers the gameplay. I think you should replay if you want to :)

As for the rest of the series; you're safe enough going to Sh3

There there...

:o you know... That ending is probably the most likely outcome :D

Ya I watched all 7 endings and that definitely seems to be the most fitting. Althought the Dog ending could have easily happened as well :pac:
    I love how the 'Happy' ending is still depressing as fuk haha. Good ol' Silent Hill.

Movie wise, I really liked the film. Ya, it wasn't perfect but at least it wasn't resident evil! The next movie is spose to be based around SH 3

If you haven't seen it, Fungo has edited Silent Hill 2 into a ~90 minute film. A great idea of what it could be on the big screen. Check it out!

part 2 and 3 are also on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I loved the first two games, played them through completely, got every ending, including the director's cut of SH2.

When I got the first game I was a big RE fan, and even though I knew SH was more psychological, I didn't think it'd be so different. But right from the start I was hooked by the creepy intro, which I'll always remember for a creepy shot of a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere that had nothing to do with the game, and of course the fantastic music. Absolutely loved the game.

Then came SH2 and I was blown away, not just by how scary it was (always played it alone in the dark at night too) but by the level of maturity and emotion of the story. It was easy in the first game to get sympathy for a lone father searching for his young daughter, but in the second game they really made the love between James and Mary believable. The first time I played I got the
    Water
    ending, which was
    such a downer
    but so appropriate. As someone else said, probably the most realistic of all the endings too. It's still one of my favourite games.

I enjoyed SH3, but I never really got into it. Maybe because it wasn't too different from SH2 in style, but also probably because the story was too convoluted and the ending was pretty crap. I also disliked how it related to the first game:
    making one (maybe two) of its endings canonical, and removing the ambiguity of whether Harry was dying or whacked out on the town's local drug and the whole thing was in his head.
    I got SH4 but never really enjoyed it. Unlike SH3, it went too much the other way and was too different from its predecessors. The structure was too clear cut, making it like a hub with clearly delineated levels, which ruined the sense of reality. I hated the way you couldn't really kill lots of enemies, as I recall, having to run past them RE-style or pin them down with that sword, which you never got enough of. Never bothered finishing it I'm sorry to say, and haven't played any SH games since.

Some favourite moments:

SH1:
    The school in general, but especially the sound of the boy crying in the toilets.
    When Laura the nurse starts to get covered in blood.
    Watching the video of Alessa in the hospital without the interference.
    SH2:
    Too many to mention: The start with you alone heading into town, which just keeps going on!
    Pyramid Head standing behind some bars in a corridor in the alternate apartment complex, just standing there doing nothing. Might be the first time you see him.
    Walking round a corner in the hospital to see an overturned wheelchair with its wheel still spinning.
    When James is talking with "Mary" after he and Maria got separated, and she suddenly switches to Maria.
    The Silent Hill Historical Society, where you just keep going down and down and down, culminating in you jumping into your own grave!
    Watching the video in the hotel room where you see what James did to Mary. I was completely shocked, and couldn't pick up the controller after a few minutes as I was so disgusted with James. It was so shocking. Playing the game again, I noticed that there were little hints about it throughout the game. For example, playing with subtitles on, in the scene where James finds the radio and can faintly hear her voice, the subtitles show she's saying: "James, __y _id _ou ki__ me?" = "James, why did you kill me?" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I liked the little touches that made everything feel just a little bit off-kilter - a radio gameshow about murderers, or newspaper stories that don't make sense. The bit about there being a hole here, and it's gone now.

There's this one guy on another forum that I know and he says it's his fave game and that it's the best SH. He also happens to be one of the biggest douchebags I've ever talked to. So you and him, the only 2 people I know that liked it.

Its not exactly my favourite game ever, or indeed even the best SH in my opinion.

But it would be a lie to say I didn't enjoy it.

Watched that 90 minute mashup by Fungo there. Really needs more narrative; it's fairly strung together. Like i really think if they fleshed out the talkie scenes and the daughter thing came to a better conclusion it'd be a nice little side story. But the Eddie story didn't do anything for me tbh.

Still though, a fantastic story worth realising on celluloid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Gonna dig out my cardboard sh2 and plAy it again.
    Simply my favourite game ever

Thanks for the inspiration folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

subway wrote: »
    Gonna dig out my cardboard sh2 and plAy it again.

I also had a cardboard SH2.

It wooden work. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

From reading this thread I think I'm gonna start playing them all in order, and to get the proper experience, I'm gonna start right now in the pitch dark with SH2 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Played the demo of the 1st one as a kid and always had the intentions of getting it but never did, loved it though, was a bit too tough for me at a young age, I was no conservist of ammo.

I played another right through (cant remember which one) but pyramid head chased me around alot and I ended up getting stuck on a part were Im rowing a boat on a lake, got too frustrated and quit (was still young dont blame me! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Gandalph wrote: »
    Played the demo of the 1st one as a kid and always had the intentions of getting it but never did, loved it though, was a bit too tough for me at a young age, I was no conservist of ammo.

I played another right through (cant remember which one) but pyramid head chased me around alot and I ended up getting stuck on a part were Im rowing a boat on a lake, got too frustrated and quit (was still young dont blame me! :D)

That's Silent Hill 2. I got stuck for ages on the boat part as well, going round in circles with no idea where to go, until I realised I had to head towards the bright light. In retrospect it seemed quite obvious and I felt really stupid :o, but I remember I had tried to follow it on one of my first tries and felt like I wasn't progressing, so I decided that I wasn't supposed to follow it and ended just sploshin round in the lake for ages. The boat was pretty tricky to keep in a straight line as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

SilentHill-HDCollection-Boxart-685x787.jpg

One of the best cover art i seen in a long time

Neat. Still seems just... wrong to have an SH collection without the first though. :(

I don't like what I've heard about the upcoming movie thus far, but I still know for just about certain I'll still end up paying to see the damn thing. Stupid brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

They can keep their collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

The voice acting in the original SH2 was absolutely woeful! The only one who wasn't terrible was Maria!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

voice acting aint that bad, really sad survival horror games are dying out need to grab this :P

The voice acting in the original SH2 was absolutely woeful!

I thought it kind of worked for purpose though. Everybody sounded just that little bit off and strange. And Maria's voice actress was one of the most important single elements of selling me the plot, tbh, so once she was right - and she was perfect - all was well.

Not impressed with this though, Christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maria and James were decent in the original and whoever read out the letter in the ending sequence deserves and oscar. The rest of the voice actors weren't great. I don't really like the new Maria in the new one.

Advertisement