Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

series 3 landrover

• 17-07-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

a friend has this landrover thats in the pics below,he is trying to get some background,history on it.
    he thinks it was an old army jeep but has no way of confirming this,so any reference to it would or could be of help.
    so feel free to comment at will.

landrover002.jpg
    landrover003.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yip , looks like it alright :D:D:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

im sure 101sean can help you in reasonable detail. Does your friend mean british army? Surely if that's the case, then it shouldn't have that plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

salysol wrote: »
    a friend has this landrover thats in the pics below,he is trying to get some background,history on it.
    he thinks it was an old army jeep but has no way of confirming this,so any reference to it would or could be of help.
    so feel free to comment at will.

landrover002.jpg
    landrover003.jpg

Certainly not an ex Irish Army Landrover with a Kilkenny registration, its possible that its a UK import, if so the tax book would show details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's not British military spec although they did have a few CL spec (standard civvy). The standard British army SWB Land Rover from 1968 ish to 1984 was the Lightweight.

If it was British military, they had a data plate on the RH side of the seatbox. The plate is about 6" x 4" and is often removed leaving the fixing holes.

TBH, I think it's just a very nice standard early Series 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

101sean wrote: »
    It's not British military spec although they did have a few CL spec (standard civvy). The standard British army SWB Land Rover from 1968 ish to 1984 was the Lightweight.

If it was British military, they had a data plate on the RH side of the seatbox. The plate is about 6" x 4" and is often removed leaving the fixing holes.

TBH, I think it's just a very nice standard early Series 3.
    thats interesting,as it has a lot of writing on the dash top in front of the steering wheel >
    landrover004.jpg
    afraid its not very clear.

• Advertisement

Dymo Tape maintenance and driving instructions? It may have belonged to a public body or agency who even in the 70s could be a s pedantic as the military.

If you could write out what is on them the style may give a clue.

Have you got the chassis number and what engine is in it? (pm me if you don't want the chassis number public)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

101sean wrote: »
    Dymo Tape maintenance and driving instructions? It may have belonged to a public body or agency who even in the 70s could be a s pedantic as the military.

If you could write out what is on them the style may give a clue.

Have you got the chassis number and what engine is in it? (pm me if you don't want the chassis number public)
    will get the chassis no on tuesday and pm it to you,as far as i know he has put a toyota diesel engine in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Army would not use dymo... they would have a special plate designed and made in aluminium printed with 2 colours. probably costing about 200 quid each. AND.. would have 1000's of such plaques in storage somewhere near Salisbury or Andover in case the wall ever comes down! (doh!)

More likely Forestry Comission, Water Board or Post Office (telephone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I have a series 3 'yip' as well. I'm told it's a Kilkenny reg alright. Mine was originally petrol and converted to 2.25 diesel. These are a great machine, all parts available from UK (avoid the Irish robbers) and as easy as a tractor to work on (drives about the same as well). I've had sports cars before but the Yip beats them all for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ive always fancied a Landie...i dont know why, my wife cant understand that Id want one for FUN, in her eyes it would need to be useful...:rolleyes: Oh and comfortable and econonical too...women!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

My dad had a new mk3 cortina back in the day bought it in the summer of1973.
    The reg was YIP 361.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

hi5 wrote: »
    My dad had a new mk3 cortina back in the day bought it in the summer of1973.
    The reg was YIP 361.:)

...............my old man had a new Capri 2000GT in '72 - VIP 771

• Registered Users Posts: 20 no1horse

i have a 1983 88 inch and trying to find out the bearing and oil seal numbers for the back axle?? anyone know them??

Couldn't tell you offhand, most of us keep kits in stock when ordering bits from Paddocks and the like. It's one of those things you keep on the shelf along UJs and brake cylinders :rolleyes:

This site has some sizes and Timken part numbers (note series hubs have different size inner and outer bearings) http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm#seals

Advertisement