Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i buy a 100ft cat 5 cable in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all,

The folks got UPC in the other day, and i need to wire their desktop PC (on the landing to the router in the living room. I want to use a wired connection rather than a wireless connection and i was wondering if it's possible to buy an 100ft cat 5 cable in Dublin?

I see adverts on ebay for 100 ft cables but am wondering if i can pick them up locally.

Thanks
    Flop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's a fairly long cable, would you not be better buying 100ft of cat 5, then putting sockets onto each end. Then just use patch cables at either end. I done this at home myself.The cable will be much easier to feed without the ends on it.

Some people will not bother with the sockets and just crimp rj45's onto each end. But your not supposed to do this with solid cable, but probably be ok for domestic use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

you can get 300ft boxs of cat 5 for about 70 euro in wood communications in ballymount and can cut it to length then just keep the rest if you need for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

your welcome to a box of it for free , the box is torn so would cable has come out of the loom as such , can be collected in citywest or loughlinstown , throwing out tuesday to make room in car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you buy the cat5e cable on a roll, you can purchase 50m from Radionics for €48 or so. No matter what length you purchase, you need a crimp tool and RJ45 connectors which are another added expense.

If you're sure 100ft is good enough, I'd suggest saving a few bob and getting one off ebay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

flop wrote: »
    i need to wire their desktop PC (on the landing to the router in the living room. I want to use a wired connection rather than a wireless connection
    If you don't want the wires, maybe look into homeplug? Maplin have a shop on Jervis Street: http://www.maplin.co.uk/powerline-85mbps-homeplug-twin-kit-223481 (in stock), or get them off Elara @ http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150186

85mbps is grand for browsing, but if it's for gaming as well, maybe go for the 200mbps version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

This can be purchased in the following companies in Dublin.

Beacon Comm
    RWL
    Temple Sales
    Deering Communications
    Wood Communications.

They all have websites with full contact details on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

formatman wrote: »
    your welcome to a box of it for free , the box is torn so would cable has come out of the loom as such , can be collected in citywest or loughlinstown , throwing out tuesday to make room in car

If you have not yet thrown this out, I'll take it from you. Can collect it in Citywest. If Flop wants it I will offer to put two RJ45s on ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

Thanks for the reply folks, i managed to get 100ft cable and cut it down to what i needed (80ft approx) and terminated both ends.

I did a nice tidy job to fast the cable along the skirting. Looks the job.

I hope my parents will be pleased ;-)

Flop

Advertisement