Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lose Weight after suffering from depression & bingeing

Options
  • 17-07-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi Guys,

I am setting up a thread for anyone like me who could have possibly suffered depression in the past and used food as a tool to cope with the comfort of my issues. I used to be the perfect size i.e size 6-8 with a weight of about 50kgs. Due to my depression and lack of life I have gained about 10 kgs and thus my starting weight is 60kgs. I know I am not that heavy but I am quite short 5ft 2. I was always a mad follower of the gym and im starting back properly tomorrow so Im hoping people can give me tips and encouragement to get bak to my pre depression weight.

I started bak in to the swing of things about two weeks ago with exercising but now I need to be very strict with both my exercise and nutrition.

I am hoping to do at least 4days (i.e 2days of cardio and 2days of weight) and if possible i am going to try get in the extra two days. I hate faddy diets and I will admit I would be tempted to go down that route but I know from experience it does not work so I can going to stick with the old fashioned route of exercising and eating healthy. I know it will probaly take a few weeks but I would really appreciate people's encouragement to help me get back to where I want to be in my life after such a bad period.

Also, for anyone out there like me who used food as mechanisn to cope with bad things in your life, I know its crap but only you can help yourself in this situation, no one else. Hopefully you too can start taking control of your life and start enjoying it.

Anyway I can going to keep posting each day what exercise I have done and what food Iate. And if I cheated don't worry I will state because I think it time I kicked my ass into shape after the abuse I prob done to my body.

Thanks Guys and Feel Free to post or follow this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 limerick10

Hi there,
    hope it's going well for you. I know the struggle you are going through.
    I was the exact same, whenever i was low the only thing that cheered me up was food. I then read two books that changed my life - 1 Optimum nutrition for the mind 2 The low gl diet bible they are both written by patrick holford.
    eating the gl way is the healthiest way there is to lose weight and you feel brilliant!
    you can buy them on www.patrickholford.com
    Best of luck and hope this helps x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Whemair0128

Hi,

Thanks a million for those tips. I will def look into it. Anyways Day 1 nearly down. Started bak properly in the GYM.

Today was Cardio and spent over 20 - 25 minutes on treadmill. (Doing intervals)

Crosstrainer - 10 minutes

Rower - 6 minutes. Well was trying to get about 1000 metres done in 5 mins, not sure what I did in the six.

Man, the cardio is that bit tougher alright with the extra few pounds I am carrying but hoping it wont be long and I'll be flying through it in no time.

Oh yeah did some core work for about 5 minutes also

Tomorrow is weights day. It is really a great feeling when you have it done. I was seriously doubting about going but I was like it's about time I stopped feeling sorry for myself and get my ass in gear.

As I have said already, any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again limerick10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Whemair0128

Hey,

Sorry I didn't post yesterday's journal. Don't worry I got my weights in yesterday and cardio today.

Yesterday I did the following: (All free weights)
    3 sets of bicep curls 12 reps, 6 kgs each arm
    3 sets of chest press on bench, 12-15 reps, 6kgs each arm
    3 sets of shoulder press, 12 reps, 4kgs each arm.

I did 6 minutes on the rower.

I used the machines for inner and outer thighs, 3 sets of 15
    I also used the leg curl and leg extension, 3 sets of 15

Unforunately I can;t rem what weight but I will make note tomorrow.

On the way home from work Today, I felt so lazy to do anything cos I was up the walls but I was proud I put myself towards the gym, did bout 20 minutes on the treadmill, intervals & incline,

I did 5-6 minutes on the rower. (Trying to get that 1000 metres in the five minutes)

And i did 5 minutes random mode, level 8 on crosstrainer, I know I should have done 10 but I was wrecked.

I did some core work also.

Working out really does put you off eating crap and there's always that feel good factor afterwards. Feel Im really getting back into the stride of things, hopefully, I'll start to see results soon and don't mess up by binging.

Chat 2morro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 darkest star2379

fair play to you...
    just 10 days ago i saw the light and stopped eating crap..stopped driking fizzy drinks and have gone mountain biking every day in the evening...
    stepped on the scales and 7 pounds gone in one week....and i feel pretty good....and thats without fad dieting , or starving myself.
    my goal is for 3 more stone by next summer to be shifted

Advertisement