Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality (reasonable) camcorder?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

PERHAPS people here could help. Recently started some live recording and splicing with game footage. The big problem is that the camera I've been using reduces overall quality to 360p - really makes it a little less worthwhile recording the game footage with a PVR!

So looking for a reasonably priced video camera - would like to be able to get some high def going on and easily worked with files would be a plus. Not bothered if it's a bricks-and-mortar store or online. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    PERHAPS people here could help. Recently started some live recording and splicing with game footage. The big problem is that the camera I've been using reduces overall quality to 360p - really makes it a little less worthwhile recording the game footage with a PVR!

So looking for a reasonably priced video camera - would like to be able to get some high def going on and easily worked with files would be a plus. Not bothered if it's a bricks-and-mortar store or online. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Im not sure what your trying to do.. so you have a pvr to record your gameplay and you want to put in like a video feed in the corner or something ? or like have segments of ingame and some RL footage inbetween ?

pretty sure you can still render in 720p even if you have sections of standard def, it won't make those sections any better but will keep the ingame parts at 720.

As for a camera.. whats your budget ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The Doomcam is a samsung. There's a HD version of it which I've heard good things about. I don't own one though, so I am not sure.

Check what it records in though- back in the old days I have some crazy obscure video formats after loaning cams from friends. Cheaper than using the standard ones, see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yeah it would be flicking from in-game to reaction. Must try the 720 trick. Budget wise, let's pretend €500-€800.....Give me an idea of the camera I should be looking to beg, borrow or steal :D

Hoping to get a loan of a HD camera on trial alright from a friend. The file format is one concern - I have also had the experience of wacky formats; not fun to deal with!

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just looked at elara there and there's a huge differential in prices, a cheap hd cam is 130 euro- ish. They seem to max out at 800 for regular home stuff. Sony's seem to become HD at 500 euro.

JVC one for 300:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-20-ZHM445&pages=1&prod=ZHM445&brands=JVC&image=

I would be looking for one with good sound in your case as I often use my iPhone as a camera for vloggery but the sound is v weak and it's noticable when I cut to other sources. I end up turning up the volume and then I have to try to cut off the high end and it gets messy.

I used to convert the SD doomcam footage to 720 for alot of the old vlogs, if you want to check out how they look you know where they are :)

Advertisement