Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite electronic music genre?

• 17-07-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ok so I was wondering what people here like to listen to the most. In the poll I have included the main genres so there is no sub-genres. Please let me know if I left out anything :)

Your favourite Genre 46 votes

Breakbeat
    0% 0 votes
    Disco
    4% 2 votes
    Drum & Bass
    8% 4 votes
    Hard Dance
    15% 7 votes
    House
    4% 2 votes
    Techno
    36% 17 votes
    Trance
    21% 10 votes
    UK Garage (Dubstep)
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

You left out old skool

Techno for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Drum & Bass

followed by Techno/Future Garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

drum & bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

House in particular from 1987 to 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You forgot Jungle.

And Garage and Dubstep are very different beasts.

Also, where's the Grime?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

House - Techno :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Why can we only choose one?

I'd change the last one to UK Bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

You forgot Jungle.

And Garage and Dubstep are very different beasts.

Also, where's the Grime?

Jungle is a sub-genre of drum and bass and according to wikipedia dubstep is a sub-genre of UK Garage

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

no electro ??? (proper electro) and why is techno in italics when it should be in Bold CAPITALS

no electro ??? (proper electro) and why is techno in italics when it should be in Bold CAPITALS

uhm its in italics because you voted for it? that's how this forum works...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

drum'n'bass is the one but i also enjoy good 4x4 techno and other genres as long as its the good stuff :) i like psytrance a lot for the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the good bits of most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

as long as it's got a nice sing along chorus I'm happy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

old gregg wrote: »
    as long as it's got a nice sing along chorus I'm happy :p

I do likes me skiffle every now and then…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Dbstf wrote: »
    Jungle is a sub-genre of drum and bass and according to wikipedia dubstep is a sub-genre of UK Garage

It's actually the reverse mate, first came Jungle then people started calling it "Drum & Bass" ;)

I do likes me skiffle every now and then…

oh my old man's a dustman, he wears a dustman's hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

old gregg wrote: »
    oh my old man's a dustman, he wears a dustman's hat

don't forget the gor blimey trousers, very important amongst skiffle scenesters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

As repulsively stupid as the genre name is, how about an IDM option?

El Pr0n wrote: »
    As repulsively stupid as the genre name is, how about an IDM option?

Ah but if you let in IDM you'll have to let in EDM, then all the BYTs taken GHB and XTC will start complaining about there being no NRG, Hi or hard, and all the while the BPM is going more and more OTT. OMG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Ah but if you let in IDM you'll have to let in EDM, then all the BYTs taken GHB and XTC will start complaining about there being no NRG, Hi or hard, and all the while the BPM is going more and more OTT. OMG!

FFS

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    It's actually the reverse mate, first came Jungle then people started calling it "Drum & Bass" ;)

ah well same thing :D most people know it as drum & bass and if people know what jungle is then they definitely know that it's linked with dnb so they can vote for it

FFS

LOL!

ah well same thing :D most people know it as drum & bass and if people know what jungle is then they definitely know that it's linked with dnb so they can vote for it

jungle tekno or j-tek as its more commonly known has nothin to do with dnb tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Electronica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EBM?

o1s1n wrote: »
    EBM?

o1s1n, If I left something out, You can include it. I can't re-edit the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

uhm its in italics because you voted for it? that's how this forum works...
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Never tend to stray too far from......

House>Tech House>Deep House

lol, okay.

If Wiki says so it must be true.

• Advertisement

Well lets go way on back, as far as i can recall Jungle was the word on the lips at the beginning of the 90's, it was easily after 95 until drum & bass was spoken of as frequently.

The garage buzz i would say is right, as i have tapes that i had from the early 90's also that have garage written on them, and similarly it is also a pile of shíte to listen to so yes, dubstep may very well have evolved from this.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

raggacore tbh

Well lets go way on back, as far as i can recall Jungle was the word on the lips at the beginning of the 90's, it was easily after 95 until drum & bass was spoken of as frequently.

The garage buzz i would say is right, as i have tapes that i had from the early 90's also that have garage written on them, and similarly it is also a pile of shíte to listen to so yes, dubstep may very well have evolved from this.:D

drum & bass evolved from jungle mid '95, similarly jungle evolved from breakbeat hardcore in late '92, but didn't really come to the forefront as an established genre till the big split in the scene in '93.

haven't a clue about garage or dubstep, altho i recall hearing dubstep evolved from garage around '97, but i could be wrong so don't quote me :D

es-cee wrote: »
    drum & bass evolved from jungle mid '95, similarly jungle evolved from breakbeat hardcore in late '92, but didn't really come to the forefront as an established genre till the big split in the scene in '93.

:D

That is compelling me to rummage through my tape box, i would be sure i have tapes with jungle written on em that predate late 92, but i am open to being verified as talking out my hole.

That is compelling me to rummage through my tape box, i would be sure i have tapes with jungle written on em that predate late 92, but i am open to being verified as talking out my hole.

the term jungle has been used in the oldskool scene since 1991, as in 'hardcore junglist', but the music didn't come into its own untill the split in '93. was all under the one hat of hardcore back in '91/'92 and didn't sound anything like the jungle you are thinking of.

the term jungle has been used in the oldskool scene since 1991, as in 'hardcore junglist', but the music didn't come into its own untill the split in '93. was all under the one hat of hardcore back in '91/'92 and didn't sound anything like the jungle you are thinking of.

Hmmmm, i will have to have a root, i know i never wrote 'Hardcore junglist' on any of my tapes, perhaps we are thinking of a different style of music, defo a particular type of sound i was calling Jungle back in 91/92

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, i will have to have a root, i know i never wrote 'Hardcore junglist' on any of my tapes, perhaps we are thinking of a different style of music, defo a particular type of sound i was calling Jungle back in 91/92

example of a track?

example of a track?

The one that goes 'Boom-chicka-Boom-chicka-wikka-wikka-woo!'

Everyone knows it…

example of a track?

Ehh, i'll have a root.

*leaves to look for a tape with sweat rolling down cheek from forehead now*

just after seeing there that term jungle music goes back as far as the 1920's lol.

just after seeing there that term jungle music goes back as far as the 1920's lol.

*wipes sweat away from brow*

Ahh i told you it was pre 1992:D

• Advertisement

*wipes sweat away from brow*

Ahh i told you it was pre 1992:D

so ya did, musta been straight outa the jungle that stuff lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

this thread is about to get racist!!

general levy - incredible

"jungle is masssive, incredible"

genre list fails, the sub genres would have been more suitable, i put down techno but im actually inclined to tech house.... :p

Ehh, i'll have a root.

To the Aussies among us, this word has a very different meaning and one that always makes me laugh, just thought I'd mention it while recognising that I have contributed nothing to the debate :)

Just listened to a carl cox mix from elipse in coventry 1991 from the hitman & her, you know the one with the knob head MC, he says about 16 mins into it,

"And now we have the Jungle"

Just listened to a carl cox mix from elipse in coventry 1991 from the hitman & her, you know the one with the knob head MC, he says about 16 mins into it,

"And now we have the Jungle"

same as many mc's say, 'drum and bass' in many many sets i have from 92/93 but it wasn't an established genre till 95?

do have to laugh at one of the mc's from the asylum, think its dj thyme on the mic, sayin "drum & bass in the place" when ed case or soem1 is playin trance haha, mc's say the most stupid things lol.

Dubstep evolved as a reaction to Garage, as oppossed to being born from the sound. You had assorted established producers like El-B and Horsepower and the new guys coming up who had grown bored and tired of the commercialization of Garage. Many of the early pioneers of Dubstep were just as influenced by Jungle, DnB and old school tunes as they were by Garage.

Even the name Dubstep was coined to show the movement away from the established Garage ideals of vocals and the 4x4 beat which had become predominant by then.

So yeah, while the roots of Dubstep are most assuredly in Garage...it being a subgenre of that sound is kind of stilted view and completely ignores the impact that Grime would have had on the sound.

I'd suggest people track down a BBC Radio 1 special called The New Step (J Da Flex tends to Tweet links to a DL of it every now and then) if they have an interest in learning more from the people who were actually there at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

"This heavy heavy 45 is a crushing proto-dubstep killer from Steve Mosco's Jah Warrior label outta London circa 1996."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3QnX87Icxc&playnext=1&list=PL7A40432990CE042B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I'd have to split them up into years aswell as some genes I don't like as much as I used to.

Trance/Progressive Trance 92-2000
    UK Hard House - 1996 -2002
    German Hard Trance 1993-1997
    Piano House/Progressive House 92 - 98

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HENVEY89

Chicago House - all the old WBMX Hot Mix 5 Classics!

• Advertisement
Advertisement