Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Food Business Experience

Options
  • 17-07-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience setting up a food business from home? Anyone gone through it? Anyone ever tried it? Had any experience with health and saftey regulations and the like?

Thanks,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

turlach wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience setting up a food business from home? Anyone gone through it? Anyone ever tried it? Had any experience with health and saftey regulations and the like?

Thanks,
    T
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 21 holyfield10

duploelabs wrote: »
    Pm sent
    Could you pm me as well.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 turlach

Thanks guys, PM's sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Any chance persons could post their experiences on the forum, after all that is what the forum is all about.

• Advertisement

James 007 wrote: »
    Any chance persons could post their experiences on the forum, after all that is what the forum is all about.

Yup, a good old success story would get some inspiration going... Or a good failure story would teach us a few things too!

well first of all, you must go on a food safety course. Second, if you're working from a domestic environment then you CANNOT use any professional equipment. The rest is up to the discretion of your EHO so I cannot comment generally on that, such is the ambiguity of the FSAI

Could you pm me as well.

Thanks

done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

well first of all, you must go on a food safety course. Second, if you're working from a domestic environment then you CANNOT use any professional equipment. The rest is up to the discretion of your EHO so I cannot comment generally on that, such is the ambiguity of the FSAI

I didn't have to go on a food safety course?

Acoshla wrote: »
    I didn't have to go on a food safety course?

Y'see, that's what I mean by the inconsistencies of the FSAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Rather then argue, lets have everyone list out their experiences and the requirements put down by the FSA.

We can update it here and list it from 1 to 20 etc.

This way everyone can check off the list points as they do their own research etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Was only talking bout this to a friend last week.
    At a basic level, if you want to create some products and sell them in your local shops/farmers markets.
    You must get your kitchen inspected (you have to pay for this)
    You must use proper packaging ie selling jam-proper jam jars
    Each product must have a proper label with ingredients best before and contact no for you and you must have product liability insurance
    There's probably more but these were some of the things we discussed off the top of my head

You must get your kitchen inspected (you have to pay for this)

no you don't have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

no you don't have to pay-?? Thought you had to.
    I know that there were two different payments to be made and one was product liability.
    (Was researching for my Mam who was thinking bout selling homemade jam)

You don't have to pay for the HSE inspection, you have to pay for product liability insurance and public liability insurance, depending on what you're doing/where you're selling.

Acoshla wrote: »
    You don't have to pay for the HSE inspection, you have to pay for product liability insurance and public liability insurance, depending on what you're doing/where you're selling.

Anyone have any experience with product liability insurance? Costs, quotes?

Thanks

got quotes from between €330 up to over €900 so it pays to shop around

James 007 wrote: »
    Rather then argue, lets have everyone list out their experiences and the requirements put down by the FSA.

We can update it here and list it from 1 to 20 etc.

This way everyone can check off the list points as they do their own research etc.

Like I said James, it's really up to the discretion of the EHO. The details I've had to do for example will vary from someone making jam as there are lots of different hazards associated with each.
    The things you do need are.
    1.public liability
    2.product liabilty (Depending on where you're stocking)
    3. Inspection and go-ahead by your Local EHO
    4. Labelling up to spec (depending on what and how you're selling)

got quotes from between €330 up to over €900 so it pays to shop around

Thanks a million duploelabs- and thanks a million for you time and your pm. will get back to you as soon as I have a sec.

YOURaStar

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

Hate to bring up an oldish topic, but I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to get some info regarding setting up shop out of my kitchen.

I remember reading somewhere, and someone said they needed an extra sink and some other changes to their kitchen to come up to standards is that true? Don't have a few hundred to spend rebuilding the kitchen.
    Also would I have to get rid of my dog? or can I banish him to a certain part of the house?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

the dog is a definite no no. is it in your private house?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

the dog is a definite no no. is it in your private house?

It's my own private house. I'd like to use the kitchen here as it's big and has plenty of space. But we've got a dog, which I can't see us parting with :(

I have a cat and a dog and a HSE registered kitchen. You can't have the dog in the kitchen while baking/cooking (obvious enough), I don't let them into it in general, but there are no problems with it. It's your family home after all.

Advertisement