Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not as good tonight

• 17-07-2011 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

But then again it would be hard to follow on last weeks episode with something similar. It SHOULDN'T be, but it is

The trains bit was just silly and juvenile, the gtr v jag was predictable, the guest was decent, but the cute girl over Rowan Atkinsons shoulder and looks like my ex was too distracting

Still, for the timeslot etc, it's the best thing on the box

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Nissan GTR was pretty amazing. The train stuff, well, you could generally file it under bollocks and once the chip oil appeared a fire was obvious, as was the destruction. I did chuckle the odd time, mind. It's just a pity they no longer play things straight. Atkinson was good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Scripted, contrived bullsh1t. Once a season you get a decent episode like last week. Maybe if their budget was cut in half they might make a good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gatecrash wrote: »
    The trains bit was just silly and juvenile, the gtr v jag was predictable, the guest was decent, but the cute girl over Rowan Atkinsons shoulder and looks like my ex was too distracting

yes they always have those fit women up front, i always find myself looking at them other than the guest:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

The train segment, scripted or not, looks really dangerous to the passengers. I would not fancy sitting on 'sports train' on one track when a real train is flying past you on the next track. If the real train's wind kicks up an empty beer can or any other hard debris and flings its across you - it wouldn't be pretty.

Also surprised that the conversions actually stayed on the rail at those speeds. Isn't there some technical thing that you need to overcome for anything moving on tracks to stay on the tracks - like some sort of mechanism to cancel out some sort of rhythmic wave / shock that could derail the structure if left to gain momentum?

PS: I enjoyed the show. It was fun. And good to know that the Merc fell apart within a week of buying it. Nissa Pixo (?) would have been cheap and manky, but it would be under warranty now and one would get to where they were going, unlike the Merc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

£1200 for one ignition coil? Never heard anything like it. Maybe a set of them (a V12) but not one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

EnterNow wrote: »
    £1200 for one ignition coil? Never heard anything like it. Maybe a set of them (a V12) but not one.

700 something he said. 1200 was including VAT and labour etc. Probably that's the main dealer prices? :D

positron wrote: »
    700 something he said. 1200 was including VAT and labour etc. Probably that's the main dealer prices? :D

Still, £700 sterling for a single ignition coil...maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard such crap

Unless its a coil pack on that engine is it? I know nowt bout Mercs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Still, £700 sterling for a single ignition coil...maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard such crap

Unless its a coil pack on that engine is it? I know nowt bout Mercs

My uncle had an E-Class as a taxi and that is not a particularly outlandish price for such a component.

amacachi wrote: »
    My uncle had an E-Class as a taxi and that is not a particularly outlandish price for such a component.

I could understand if its a ignition coil pack (multiple cylinders), but if its a standard electronic coil for a single cyl then thats amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Generally recommended to replace all coils rather than 1 at a time. Its standard practice to do this.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Generally recommended to replace all coils rather than 1 at a time. Its standard practice to do this.

True enough, but if thats the case then they needed to say 12 coils...not one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fine episode, even my brother who neither likes Top Gear nor QI (Yes, I am trying to disown him) raised a laugh, particularly during the train bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't normally like the reviews of "supercars" as I'll never have one but the Nissan/Jag segment was well done and made the point - why buy a souped up Jag for 100,000 when the Nissan GTR will do a better job for much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

Highlight of the show was Rowan Atkinson's lap, he'll be hard to beat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

True enough, but if thats the case then they needed to say 12 coils...not one.

He is a journalist not a mechanic. its called sensationalism...

listermint wrote: »
    He is a journalist not a mechanic. its called sensationalism...

Aye, but its fanbase would predominantly be car enthusiasts. There's no big deal like :)

Advertisement