Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights keeps tripping the fusebox

Options
  • 17-07-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

All the downstairs lights are on the one fuse and all are working fine except one. The kitchen has 6 gu10 bulbs attached to it and when I turn it on all 6 bulbs come on for a split second before the fuse trips. I flip the fuse switch on again and repeat - same deal.
    I removed each bulb, one by one, turning on the lights each time and it tripped each time.
    Then, I tried with no light bulbs and it tripped after 2 seconds.
    Do I need to fix something in the fusebox?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

There is a problem with the light fitting not the fuseboard - probably a short circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Are they on a dimmer? We had a similar problem with our GU10s in the kitchen and ended up taking out the dimmer switch completely and replacing with a standard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Probably one of the gu10 fittings alright, take each one out of the ceiling and check for signs of burning in the fittings, or problems with the connectors, and where the bulbs plug into. Turn off the MCB for the lights first.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

No jbroy - there's no dimmer - I've had problems with gu10s and dimmer switches before :)
    Thanks John and Robbie - I'll take a look at the fittings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

OK, I took down all the light fittings and there is zero sign of burning or damage - they all look like new. All the connections look fine too.
    Any other suggestions - I'm a bit puzzled by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Bomberman

Disconnect the light completely and see if you still have the same problem when you turn the light switch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Check behind the light switch, the odd time there is a cable nicked and touching the metal back box, or a short of some sort could be occuring behind the switch if there is an earth to it or a neutral which many newer houses have.

Advertisement