Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Prospects?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I am considering in pursuing a career in PR. I have a background in sales for a number of years. I am thinking of doing a MA or Postgrad in PR. Would this be enough to get in to this area? I've heard employment possibilities in Ireland are few and far between. Which companies do hire? Are most of the opportunities in Dublin or are they in other parts of the country? What would be the starting salary even though I have a number of years of sales experience? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

I'd be interested in knowing this too. I'm lucky enough to have just been transferred to an in-house PR & Comms department. How hard is it to move upwards and what are the pay scales like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well I have almost three years experience in PR at this stage but I am working for my dole in a charity, competition is massive in this sector.

For example, I applied for a role as a Press Officer in one of the biggest telecommunications companies in February and they had over 90 applications. I got down to the last four but someone with over seven years experience got the job so it is very tough at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iredia

Thanks for the reply!! Are most of the opportunities in Dublin? I am interested to know if there would be other areas/opportunities open to me if I got a MA in PR? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Pretty much but there are some in house positions too.

Advertisement