Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i cut moulded skirting board???

Options
  • 17-07-2011 10:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I need to replace a small bit of damaged skirting board in a corner of my box room.

Its the standard 6 inch red deal moulded skirting that.

How the hell do I cut the moulded top part of the skirting board so that it sits in flush into the corner with the other skirting board.

Do I need a special type of saw to do the cuts and curves???

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 gkav

if you have chop saw place skirting on back with moulded edge at your side at flip saw to 45 degrees and cut then with jig saw cut away the angle piece along where it meets the front of skirting hope this explains it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gkav wrote: »
    if you have chop saw place skirting on back with moulded edge at your side at flip saw to 45 degrees and cut then with jig saw cut away the angle piece along where it meets the front of skirting hope this explains it.

Thanks.:)

Had a quick search on youtube for some tutorial video clips,and I understand what you said there.

Some of the vidos show people using a coping saw though,after cutting at a 45 degree angle.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you don't have a power saw you can do this with hand tools- you'll need a handsaw, coping saw, combination square and a pencil. Cut a 45 deg mitre on the board end, use a pencil to "shade" the cut edge where it meets the face (makes it easier to see the coped moulding). Cut the flat (not moulded section!) square to the face with the handsaw, use the coping saw to cut the moulded section, undercutting will help with fitting. Use a craft knife if needs be to get a good fit. A few pictures would tell a thousand words here, ah well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

As above, use a 45 bevel and a jigsaw. Jigsaw has to be decent quality and have a thin blade with the teeth facing down.

Coping saw if you are using hardwood.

Also if the floor and wall are not 90 degrees then the skirt may not but together tightly. Gunoprene works well to help here but if its a good bit out the you may also have to scribe the corner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Skirting board is red deal wood.

Whats gunoprene?

Is it some sort of mastic/sealent type stuff?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

sorry reread your post. If its only a peice or two then you can cut it with a mitre box or free hand at 45 degrees, if your room is square enough then you may get away with 2 45s butting into eachother.

Gunopreene is grip filler that you put along the back of the skirting to stick it very firmly to the wall. The nails should really just hold it till the gunoprene dries.

Caulk is the white filler that finishes the skirting nicely to the wall. Basically when the skirt is finished the is a small gap at the top where the wall may be slightly off. Using mastic gun, run it along the small gap and smooth with ur finger and or a damp sponge.

If you are painting the skirting white you can fill any gaps in the corner joints with it too. Its flexible filler basically.

If there are massive gaps then the caulk will crack so reapply and it should come out perfect.

If your not painting, scribe your corners carefully as there is no remedy for wood finish. You can get fillers but it never looks right

Advertisement