Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair falling out after baby help!

Options
  • 17-07-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Had my daughter 4months ago and in the last week my hair has been falling out lots,im really starting to freak out as it feels so thin,has anyone else had this happen to them?is there anything i can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Nope, this is the fourth trimester no one talks about. Hormones regulating & it does crazy things to you. I had really severe dandruff for the first time in my life after my second child & it really threw me b/c I didn't have anything after my first child.

Only cure for it is time...your hair will grow back, just don't try to fix it with anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yes, this happened to me. Had bald patches and a receding hairline. It all grew back in time though. I found that if I washed it every day it wasn't as noticeable.

The reason it happens is that your hair hardly sheds at all during pregnancy, then all that would have shed over time falls out all at once when the last of the pregnancy hormones leave your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Nobody warns you about this! It will grow back, I had a very attractive "second fringe" there for a while:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I knew about this, I just didn't realise HOW MUCH would fall out. After I let the water out of my bath, the entire bath was covered with hair! For about 3 weeks. I think it started when she was about 5 months old. But now my hair is thicker than it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

This happened to me too! But luckily I've a huge fuzzy mane so it didn't really notice too much. The worst thing was the tarantula in the plug hole!

My friend has very fine hair and very little of it and she used the Perfectil hand and nail supplement. She reckons it works great. Might be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep I'm going through it at the moment. Ive got lots of hair and during pregnancy it was amazing but now it's falling out in clumps and handfuls. For me it started at 3 months and my sin is almost 6 months so I'm hoping it stops soon. Personally I find it too traumatising to wash my hair so I only wash it twice a week and tie it up.

After all we've been through you'd think nature would cut us a break and leave our hair alone :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's totally normal after pregnancy, one of my friends had to invent some very creative hairstyles when she basically got a 'peno spot' for a short time after she had her baby! Another thing that can happen is your hair changing colour! My mum was blonde her whole life and while she was pregnant with me and after I was born her hair grew out jet black!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Got the perfectil for hair/skin/nails hope it works,my mum also said to eat Brazil nuts, apparently they are one of the best sources of selenium which is supposed to be good for hair growth,ill try anthing,let ye know how i get on,thanks all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Sob, I take it this is ahead of me! Loving my pregnancy hair but its started to shed a little the last couple of weeks. Shes just 14 weeks but im breastfeeding - wonder does that hold off the shedding for a while longer :confused:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK it doesn't happen to everyone. Supposedly if you've got quite thick hair to begin with it can be less noticeable, I'm hoping this is the case cos my hair has always been super thick. As soon as I got pregnant I started going really grey, so I kinda figure it'd be dreadfully unfair to go grey and bald!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

It's totally normal. When you are pregnant, your hormones actually prevent you from losing hair! The normal hair loss you would have on a daily basis doesn't happen while you are pregnant, so you end up with this really full thick head of hair. 3-6 months after birth the excess hair all starts to fall out again, which can be frightening if you don't kow whats happening. For most people your hair wont be thin, it will just feel that way compared to what you had before. It grows back normally, there's just a little adjustement period with short hairs at the front for a while. This was around the time I went to the hairdresser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Toots* wrote: »
    Another thing that can happen is your hair changing colour! My mum was blonde her whole life and while she was pregnant with me and after I was born her hair grew out jet black!
    Mine has grown back curly! The rest of my hair is poker straight :D
    OP, you'll be so busy with the baby that you won't have much time to worry about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

this is happening to me too, but im beginning to notice an improvement, shes just 4months now. i just keep it conditioned and hope for the best. im breastfeeding too, dont think it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

This happened to me too! I have fine hair to start with, but it was lovely during pregnancy, so thick! But a few weeks after birth and it was falling in handsful. It has only started to slow down now that I have stop BF, DD is over 9 mths. I have the double fringe too :P now that it starting to grow back but if I tie my hair back, you can see my scalp both side of my head, prrrettty!! NOT!
    I was more worried about regaining my figure and about stretch marks... but at least you can hide them!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Supermummy

this also happen to me, it takes about 1 year or maybe a bit more for your hair to get back to full strenght. You should ask in your local chemist to see if there is anything you can get to make it stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Happened to me too, although not until my lad was about 9 months old - I think breastfeeding delayed it in my case. I was taking a vitamin supplement with selenium too but don't think it made any difference to me. Ponytail and a fringe - only way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Happened to me too, although not until my lad was about 9 months old - I think breastfeeding delayed it in my case. I was taking a vitamin supplement with selenium too but don't think it made any difference to me. Ponytail and a fringe - only way to go!

Ditto, first time I have ever had a fringe.

I hear you!! My home is covered in hair.

The baby grabs a fist full of it every morning, everything is blocked with it (the shower plug, the washing machine, the hoover) and worst of all is that half inch of fluffy regrowth at the front... I was expecting hair loss but not this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

This happened to me at about the 4month mark too - she's now 7 and half months and I'm sporting lovely second fringe :-) Two different hairdressers (in different salons) recommended Head High. There are two supplements, one jar is vitamins and the other is amino acids (I think?) Anyway whether it was taking those or it was just time for my hair to grow back, it started to come back in strength!! Also found one of the hairdressers really helpful in showing me how to hide the thin part, which was right at top of my forehead! So maybe trip to sympathetic hairdresser would help too until hair comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

This happened to me after I had my little girl. It's happened to me again after coming off the patch!

I don't know if you have a LUSH shop near you, but they do a wonderful shampoo for hormonal hair loss. It's a solid shampoo, so it might seem a little weird if you're not used to it. It'sl natural with only mild and safe synthetics, so it doesnt dry your hair out, meaning no need for conditioner! My hair has been much shinier and healthier since I began using it a month ago, and it is feeling thicker!

http://www.lush.co.uk/shop/product/product/path/147_148/id/38/handmade-hair-solid-shampoo-bars-new-

A bar of shampoo lasts around 4 months. I found this was the best way to go, as I was using Pentene before and all of the chemicals and silicones in the products were making things worse. If your hair is particularly tired and dry you could try a hair mask also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement