Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sin census

• 17-07-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Do the Catholic Church authorities conduct any kind of surveys of the most frequent sins confessed so as to direct pastoral activities in an effective manner.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Mystified wrote: »
    Do the Catholic Church authorities conduct any kind of surveys of the most frequent sins confessed so as to direct pastoral activities in an effective manner.:confused:

No. Information from confession can't EVER be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

No. Seal of confession would exclude such a survey ever happening.

alex73 wrote: »
    No. Information from confession can't EVER be used.

Upon first glance this seems like an angry reply. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

No. The confessional is not used for survey purposes. It's strictly confidential.

It always has been confidential, and still is in every country that has a 'confessional'. Ireland may be deciding to change that soon though through state intervention, so perhaps we might also decide it should be part of a 'census' in order to direct effectual law in the longer term - seems that's what the braniacs have come up with, on how to be effective.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To be helpful, I'll admit one of mine is the sin of self-deception - thinking that Arsenal will ever win anything again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Suzie Sue

Manach wrote: »
    To be helpful, I'll admit one of mine is the sin of self-deception - thinking that Arsenal will ever win anything again.

Arsenal are boring.

How is this thread different from the Seal of confesson one ?

Onesimus wrote: »
    Upon first glance this seems like an angry reply. :confused:

Why? The person is confessing to christ. And committing to never sin again and to make amends. The priest is forgiving in the name of christ. The confession is sealed. No information is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

I don't mean breaking the seal of confession in the sense of revealing the names of people who confessed specific sins. What I mean is a purely bureaucratic process of say enumerating types of sins confessed so as to for instance know whether to preach sermons against the most common or serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Suzie Sue

I don't mean breaking the seal of confession in the sense of revealing the names of people who confessed specific sins. What I mean is a purely bureaucratic process of say enumerating types of sins confessed so as to for instance know whether to preach sermons against the most common or serious.

They don't need to, it's already well known

Look up the Seven deadly sins and the ten commandments.

Pride is the most common and deadly sin, and the root of all the others.

I asked the exact same question many years ago. I was told nothing from confession can be used, written down, tracked. Etc... It's sealed.

• Advertisement

alex73 wrote: »
    Why? The person is confessing to christ. And committing to never sin again and to make amends. The priest is forgiving in the name of christ. The confession is sealed. No information is used.

oh I know that. Just the emphasis you used on EVERRRRRRRRRRR. was like you were charging in with your crusader sword and sheild. rooarrrrrrr :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi mystified. Usually the sermons relate to the Gospel reading, and also the first and second reading from Scripture...and are not focused on anything other than that, and how they pertain to us...

To my knowledge Priests don't - aren't allowed to - gather statistical information from the confessional as it would be seen as immoral. They trust that God does that work in the hearts and minds of those who have confessed - a priest may impart advise and guide the person though...but never share the information or amalgamate it collectively for statistical purposes. It's totally different hearing a confession to a census and how the government operates when deciding to gather information for the greater good of society. The 'census' is very important for society. Imo, so too is the confessional valuable but they are two fundamentally different things. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Like everyone else they watch the 6 o'clock news and read a newspaper. maybe even an episode of east enders.

when they read headlines about murder rape robbery marital infidelity, that gives them an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

IMHO I think the biggest sin is the murder of innocent children in the womb, millions every year!!

WORLDWIDE

Number of abortions per year: Approximately 42 Million
    Number of abortions per day: Approximately 115,000

http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

IMHO I think the biggest sin is the murder of innocent children in the womb, millions every year!!

WORLDWIDE

As this involves children would it be fair to say that abortion is worse than sexual abuse? (I know sex abuse is bad). And if so who is the perpretrator? Catholic priests? (very rare).

I think there should be a law against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

WORLDWIDE

That doesn't make much sense since only a tiny proportion of women ever have an abortion.

Would lying or lust or something be far more common?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Wicknight wrote: »
    That doesn't make much sense since only a tiny proportion of women ever have an abortion.

Would lying or lust or something be far more common?

Liars are among those mentioned in Revelation 21:8

"But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Advertisement