Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harold's Cross,Terenure or Rathgar?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My 2 children and I are moving back to Ireland permanently by the end of July and I am panicking .. they will be going to Harold's Cross NS and since I can't afford a new car and a new place at the same time, we'll have to find a place within walking distance.

Anyway, the only place where my children have stayed in Dublin is Ballsbridge. I, myself, have never lived beyond Donnybrook, I did like the looks of the area around Clareville road but I'm not sure it's safe if I'm alone in a house with two small children in that area (actually I'm not sure it's safe in any area)? Is it well lit, is it safe for us to walk in the evening? Terrified of someone breaking in while we're asleep - any such incidents lately? I'm also thinking about Rathgar, even Terenure maybe.. there's houses available around Mount Argus and Larkfield (Kimmage). Is it mostly renters or owners in those areas? Any knowledge on housing "acoustics"? Anything I should watch out for?

I've also seen some lovely split level apartments around the Rathgar area - would probably not be able to afford a house there, but there's always Tesco in Rathmines which is a big plus for as long as we're without a car so I do have to take them under consideration. Maybe Rathgar is more "D4" looking and the children would be more comfortable there?

Input please ..suggestions, ideas, advice.. all is welcome. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

All around the three areas you listed in your title would be grand tbh, but like with all of Dublin you'd have to keep your wits about you, not leave doors unlocked and all that. Don't live up around there but don't live too far and often drive through there and never seen anything out of the ordinary, no gangs or teenagers hanging around and what not.

Up around Clareville Rd is nice, you've also got Sundrive Shopping Centre close by which has a big Superquinn and a few other shops (Florist, hairdressers, etc...). You also have Rosary Park 5 minutes away, which is home to Harolds Cross Boys FC if your kids what to play for a football team. Good few buses routes around that area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

cliara wrote: »
    My 2 children and I are moving back to Ireland permanently by the end of July and I am panicking .. they will be going to Harold's Cross NS and since I can't afford a new car and a new place at the same time, we'll have to find a place within walking distance.

Anyway, the only place where my children have stayed in Dublin is Ballsbridge. I, myself, have never lived beyond Donnybrook, I did like the looks of the area around Clareville road but I'm not sure it's safe if I'm alone in a house with two small children in that area (actually I'm not sure it's safe in any area)? Is it well lit, is it safe for us to walk in the evening? Terrified of someone breaking in while we're asleep - any such incidents lately? I'm also thinking about Rathgar, even Terenure maybe.. there's houses available around Mount Argus and Larkfield (Kimmage). Is it mostly renters or owners in those areas? Any knowledge on housing "acoustics"? Anything I should watch out for?

I've also seen some lovely split level apartments around the Rathgar area - would probably not be able to afford a house there, but there's always Tesco in Rathmines which is a big plus for as long as we're without a car so I do have to take them under consideration. Maybe Rathgar is more "D4" looking and the children would be more comfortable there?

Input please ..suggestions, ideas, advice.. all is welcome. TIA.

All the areas you mentioned are all very nice and are quite safe so I would just look for a house you like. Harolds cross/Rathmines would be closer to the city centre and would have better transport links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would say terenure. i live there and town is easy walking distance. it has more shops than both harolds cross and rathgar (even though rathgar has a superquinn)
    poor old harolds cross died when harold engineering left and its only barely recovering now (the bookies will be open on wednesday)
    terenure has all the shops, pubs and restaurants so it would be what i would recommend

Advertisement