Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours Cut Over Being On Higher Rate Of Pay

Options
  • 18-07-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

i work for a well known department store and i have become increasingly annoyed at my hours of late about 2 months ago i went on to the second highest rate of pay for my role and since then my hours have been reduced allot like i used to get 35 a week with double on sunday even though its a part time contract but since then my hours are about 25 - 30 and i hardly ever work sundays now. it seems like there giving all the hours to the new staff and staff on the minimum wage.

is this allowed my contracted minimum hours are 11. its so frustrating to see them get the hours when experienced staff like myself get less.

also a side note its very obvious that not to sound full of myself but hard workers like me get all evenings like stay till after the show closes to tidy up and what not but others that do nothing go home at 6 all the time this really isnt fair is there anything we can do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

is this allowed my contracted minimum hours are 11

You just answered your own question! Unfortunately it looks like they are trying to cut back so the obvious way to do that is cut back on the hours of the higher wages, especially if they can get min wage staff to do the same work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No, they're not breaking any laws. This is extremely common. People on higher rates of pay are the number one target to get their hours cut when hours have to be cut and to never get sundays. I know it's annoying but there's nothing you can do, you're still working well over your contract hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I know it seems unfair, but retail is on its knees at the moment. You say large dept store. That could be one of a couple. But look at Arnotts, down massive money and were in the papers not to long ago about it.

Cuts have to be made. Yes, experienced quality staff are being substituted with cheaper staff where possible, but as long as customers demand lower prices and places struggle to keep sales up, its do it, or close.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

why dont you ask for longer hours and a lower rate of pay? if your company is loosing money do you really think their going to keep you on a higher rate of pay just so you dont get upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

neris wrote: »
    why dont you ask for longer hours and a lower rate of pay? if your company is loosing money do you really think their going to keep you on a higher rate of pay just so you dont get upset.

thats a blunt way of putting it, but i guess its practical - although probably unacceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They wont let you do that unless you break your service and re-apply. All you can do is make sure your manager knows you are available for any hours. Say you don't mind being called in. Is there any dept that's not cutting hours? like the tills / back door? can you get a dept transfer?

An 11 hour contract is crap, if your always working 35 hrs.

Where I work if you can done 35 hrs per week for more than 13 weeks, your contract has to be increased to that amount. Contact your union just in case your missing something.

Also if you've been reduced to 4 days or less you might be able to sign on for the days you dont work and claim JSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

they catch us with the 4 day thing by bringing us in fore fewer hours over 5 days.... they wont give us more hours over 4 days.

till staff are mostly doing 4 0r 5 hours shifts ie 9-2 or 2-6...

they say its because our store isnt trading as much now since the other store in the area has increased trading since a refit.... part timers in that store are working nearly 40 hours a week a full timer contract is only 37.5....

i didnt know about the 35 hrs per week for more than 13 weeks thing i will look into this my union is mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Same union, different supermarket!

Advertisement