Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruxelles-need an opinion

Options
  • 18-07-2011 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I'm a guy in his late 20's, was out and about last week with a few college friends who bought me to Bruxelles. It was the kind of club i was waiting for to find, playing indie type of music and having a real great time with total strangers chatting about music. The one big bonus as a single guy was the women were in and around my age (mid to early 30's) which was great.

anyway i'm waffling on, I'm brining a few mates along next week and seen as it was only one night, Is Bruxelles worth going too as a regular spot?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Yeah, its a decent place if you like rock music, gets a bit pokey at the weekends but I always had a laugh there, good jukebox aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've found it to be sell alcohol at silly prices.
    No thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It was one of my favourite hangouts in the 80s, sounds like it hasn't changed a bit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Downstairs at the weekends is full of tossers who think they're Gods with thier poxy ponytails.
    Howevere the jukebox is good and they have special offers on various drinks now so its more affordable than it ever was.

For some reason the barstaff have a tradition of being obnoxious,surly bastards too..there's a chinese guy with glasses who doesnt say please,thank you or kiss my arse and goes out of his way to put your change into a pool of slops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Used to go a lot but haven't been for a few years so maybe my views are out of date: I like the upstairs and outside which is just your normal pub. And I used to love the downstairs to the right bar which used to be an indie/mod place with excellent tunes on the jukebox and also a late bar. Like the fact it's a Dublin institution too. The downstairs to the left was/is(?) a rock(er) bar so never went in much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It's a complete rip off! I used to go there a lot when I was in college (about 6-10 years ago). Went there about a year ago for a nostalgic pint and nearly got sick when I had to pay. Shocking. They've really gotten way up their own arse over the past few years.

McDaids across from Bruxelles does a nice pint at a reasonable price. Much more preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I'd say if you like it, keep going. Used to go there a good bit but haven't been in the last while. For the summer months, if you are lucky enough to grab a table in the smoking area, it's a great spot to spend a balmy evening and people watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was there on a wednesday night and there was was a singer/songwriters club on and there was a great atmosphere. Good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Its ok for a sit down table outside and a pint on a Summer afternoon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Stevo2007

expensive but a good laugh, gets really packed at times though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Genuinely, the prices of drink in there should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Overpriced kip, full of longhairs who go there because its the scene man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Degsy wrote: »
    Downstairs at the weekends is full of tossers who think they're Gods with thier poxy ponytails.
    Howevere the jukebox is good and they have special offers on various drinks now so its more affordable than it ever was.

For some reason the barstaff have a tradition of being obnoxious,surly bastards too..there's a chinese guy with glasses who doesnt say please,thank you or kiss my arse and goes out of his way to put your change into a pool of slops.

+1. In particular the first line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Downstairs usually have a few drinks deals on the and there's a better crowd then you'd find in the likes of Fibbers or Gypsy Rose etc.

More tourists too which is a good thing,was talking to a lovely American girl for ages there last week,thought I was in until she introduced me to her feckin boyfriend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Downstairs usually have a few drinks deals on the and there's a better crowd then you'd find in the likes of Fibbers or Gypsy Rose etc.

Your getting near'er to the northside with the Gypsy Rose.

Haven't drank in Bruxelles in awhile, a long while, so I don't have an opinion on it really.

However its in a much nicer part of the city that Fibbers or The Gypsy for someone visiting, however the area is full of pretentious assholes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Haven't drank in Bruxelles in awhile, a long while, so I don't have an opinion on it really.

However its in a much nicer part of the city that Fibbers or The Gypsy for someone visiting, however the area is full of pretentious assholestoo.

True enough!

I do be in on a Wednesday or Thursday night and there's usually a good mix of people,could fill up with snobby pricks on the weekend though I suppose given the area its in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

However its in a much nicer part of the city that Fibbers or The Gypsy for someone visiting, however the area is full of pretentious assholes too.

I went along with my mates on Friday night and have to say i agree with your last line about pretentious assholes. I never been to a place where people held themselfs in such a high regrad. I was insulted by about two women about my background and not having a job in the space of a hour. I think i will give the place a miss from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Love Bruxelles, never found it to be full of knobs - usually a good mixed crowd in my experience. Yeah drinks are a bit pricy but that's kinda the norm for bars literally steps away from Grafton street. You could always start off somewhere a bit cheaper and then head in there later on when it's proper lively!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

used to like downstairs, was one of the few places where you would have a laugh with complete strangers but I was there about a year ago now and the place had changed so much so not sure now. Their drinks prices are ott too.

Advertisement