Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

In fairness lads and ladies, it can't be constant Zombie onslaught. There has to be some reaction to the Zombie Apocalypse and how it shapes the characters, but they might have over done it in this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In fairness lads and ladies, it can't be constant Zombie onslaught.
    "Constant Zombie onslaught"?

I've had longer dumps than the amount of zombie action on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Ive had scarier sneezes than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

The bar scene was the only interesting bit, all the rest was the downward soul crushing BS the show has become.

The car crash was beyond stupid, straight, straight, zombie, straight...wait straight?, crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow, the latest episode had one scene of merit and excitement. Thats a first since the first episode of series 2!

I'm beginning to think the title "Walking Dead" refers to the main characters, given how lifeless and boring they have become.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness lads and ladies, it can't be constant Zombie onslaught. There has to be some reaction to the Zombie Apocalypse and how it shapes the characters, but they might have over done it in this show.

I think there's a happy medium between "constant zombie onslaught" and "stunning dramatic inertia" though, the latter being where the AMC show currently resides. The Walking Dead is itself a zombie really - lacking any life, vitality or character.

I've often forgiven shows weaknesses in the face of its positives - Fringe springs to mind for ropey scripting vs. great characters - but Walking Dead is just so devoid of any tangible positive, in any department, it's hard to keep patient with it anymore. I don't know what has me coming back - maybe it's because I enjoy disappointment.

And yet, I know I'll tune in next week, out of some pathetic sense of hope that net week is when things are turned around. As if.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

faceman wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think the title "Walking Dead" refers to the main characters, given how lifeless and boring they have become.

well... it actually does, doesn't it?
    I thought that was the point of the title, that yeah they were technically alive as in not zombies but they didn't really have a life and were just 'walking dead'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pixelburp wrote: »
    And yet, I know I'll tune in next week, out of some pathetic sense of hope that net week is when things are turned around. As if.

well with a new showrunner now at the helm i think we can expect some kind of change in the show, god knows they have enough ideas from the comics to run for another 4 or 5 seasons, minimum,

heres hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i dont understand all of this walking dead bashing. i think its perfectly cast and acted well. i like the setting and being honest im enjoying this season. the pacing may be a bit annoying for some but for me i do watch slow character driven tv shows so its fines to me.

anyway i think ****s gonna hit the fan in the next couple of episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ricero wrote: »
    i dont understand all of this walking dead bashing. i think its perfectly cast and acted well. i like the setting and being honest im enjoying this season. the pacing may be a bit annoying for some but for me i do watch slow character driven tv shows so its fines to me.

I like slow character driven shows but they need to have a compelling plot and well written characters, TWD has neither, its soap opera melodrama and a wasted premise. have given up on it now the most recent episode was crap, I'll just read the show summary here and not waste my bandwidth every week. The events of the series so far could have been played out over 3 episodes and kept the group moving, cant believe its taken 8 episodes to get to this point of the story where hardly anything has happened aside from finding out what happened the girl and Shane going bananas on a barn full of zombies.
    There's no sense of anything at risk in this show, they're on a peaceful farm thats well hidden from the occasional zombie, its technically not a bad place to be given the state of the world. There's no urgency, no sense of survival, its just plods along and any sort of drama usually comes from the characters stupidity not the circumstances of their dilemma. Otis and Shane having to go get medical supplies, fine, urgent, characters life on the line. the asian guy having to risk his neck to get...a pregnancy test, oh no, compelling stuff, being that the guy who owns the farm is a DOCTOR and could have easily told Pouty Miseryface she was pregnant.

at this rate the only thing that would get me watching again is if Shane goes nuts and kills the entire group, he's the only interesting character left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

krudler wrote: »
    I like slow character driven shows but they need to have a compelling plot and well written characters, TWD has neither, its soap opera melodrama and a wasted premise. have given up on it now the most recent episode was crap, I'll just read the show summary here and not waste my bandwidth every week. The events of the series so far could have been played out over 3 episodes and kept the group moving, cant believe its taken 8 episodes to get to this point of the story where hardly anything has happened aside from finding out what happened the girl and Shane going bananas on a barn full of zombies.
    There's no sense of anything at risk in this show, they're on a peaceful farm thats well hidden from the occasional zombie, its technically not a bad place to be given the state of the world. There's no urgency, no sense of survival, its just plods along and any sort of drama usually comes from the characters stupidity not the circumstances of their dilemma. Otis and Shane having to go get medical supplies, fine, urgent, characters life on the line. the asian guy having to risk his neck to get...a pregnancy test, oh no, compelling stuff, being that the guy who owns the farm is a DOCTOR and could have easily told Pouty Miseryface she was pregnant.

at this rate the only thing that would get me watching again is if Shane goes nuts and kills the entire group, he's the only interesting character left.
    What bout daryl? Im kind of disappointed he hardly got any screentime the last episode:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What bout daryl? Im kind of disappointed he hardly got any screentime the last episode:(

yea i find him the most interesting character on the show besides Shane and i don't know why but i like Dale the voice of reason in the group. i still hope that Merle Dixon comes back someday and also Morgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Daryl and Shane I think are the only ones worth watching but I think Shane should either piss off or die, he's starting to go round in circles a bit.

Merle is/was great too, was good to see him back even if it was only as a hallucination. I hope he comes back into it because out of the first group of characters I thought he was the best of them. I was delighted to see Otis in it, I've seen that actor in stuff before and thought he would be a great addition to the show. But that didnt last long.

Maggie looks like she could be a decent enough character and Glenn isnt the worst of them. Typical enough kid trying to do his best kinda role.

Dale, T-Dog, Andrea, Carol and Lori are pretty poor though. As part of the core group they really should be a hell of a lot better than they are. Dale being the best of them which doesnt say much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

They are ALL annoying me. I don't care about any of them at all anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Daryl as I think he's woefully underused but apart from him I wouldn't care if they all turned up brown bread.

Lori is stupid, Rick is a dope, Sophia's mother (can't remember her name) needs to die because I don't think I can put up with her moany face for another episode, Dale is doing my head in, the nosy aul wan that he is loving the sound of his own voice, Shane talks a lot of sense but he's being written into madness. I'd follow Carl before I'd follow any of them.

Though it's an unrelatable premise I should be able to relate to one of them. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought it was an alright episode.

TBH I thought the whole "nothings happening" thing was really all about getting them complacent.

they really have it sweet at the farm and as such have forgotton just how bad it is out there beyond the zombies , which is what those lads in the bar were all about.

the tension wrang out of that scene after nothing happening so long was really strong IMO.

The acting to me is whats driving this show so far. shane for instance. its painfully obvious he's trying to apologise for what he's done as he's starting to crack under the preasure of how he thinks other percieve him.
    hence why he went off on one with dale - whom i kept expecting to make a remark back but did more just by looking at him like he was a coiled cobra. ditto with carol - who i though was tyring to top herself down by the lake. shane really did try to say stuff to her but couldnt get the words out while she looked half terrified of the bloke.

hell even carl got some nice lines in this one.

herschel and ricks conversation in the bar though was great. the poor bastard really has lost it.
    the scene with the new comers though was great on the acting front. if you think about it whats actually the differnece between ricks group and the newbies?

were meant to assume theyre some kinda mad max nutters but theres no real proof theyre any worse than our lot so while im sure they ARE gonna be trouble, it it turns out to be just a bunch of starving children i'll be quite happy to see how rick lives with what hes done.

which WAS the best bit of badassery he's done in ages.

i can understand how people are getting annoyed at the slow pace, but the funny thing is as others have said i KEEP coming back to it as i find the show so compelling.

its unusual to see a show based on hoplessness which makes it almost the anti the usual american show where it all works out in the end. we pretty much KNOW thats not going to be the case here and i think thats the appeal.

on the lori crash thing
    it could be a way the new guy wants to get rid of the kid, but the way it resolves in the comics is so cool i cant see them not doing it. emotionally its just such a hammer blow.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

on the lori crash thing
    it could be a way the new guy wants to get rid of the kid, but the way it resolves in the comics is so cool i cant see them not doing it. emotionally its just such a hammer blow.

:)
    Comic Book
    I'd be very surprised if Lori dies on the show in the same way as in the comics. I know it's a cable show but showing a mother and daughter both getting shot at the same time would probably have the AMC execs in all sorts of bother.
    I don't think they can be as graphic on a tv show as a comic can be which is a bit of a drawback for the show as elements like that make the comic what it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

demotivational-posters-untitled12.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ricero wrote: »

But that's the problem - for many of us the characters are no real compensation: too many are either horrendously written (all the female characters), idiots (Lorie) or simply blank slates filling space (T-Dog, Carol). Even the supposed tensions between characters is elongated beyond sense. But overall, I see it as part of a larger problem with series-driven TV at the moment.

I don't buy this "slow burning" argument anymore; that drip-feeding your plot through inertia or excessive filler is clever, or enjoyable. I just think it's a cop-out excuse being used to forgive shows with no clear direction or sense of dramatic pacing, or worse: it's used to perceive artistic merit where there is none, just hamfisted production. I'm not having a go at your ricero btw, am just observing generally.

Just because it worked for Mad Men or The Wire, doesn't mean it's going to work for The Walking Dead or other shows such as (for example) Boardwalk Empire. And whether it's the pressure to fill a predetermined number of episodes, or simply scriptwriters indulging in some creative powertrip, there are now too many shows whose pacing dawdles to the point of indolence. I miss god old-fashioned 'cliffhanger' based TV, but suddenly it's not trendy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

But that's the problem - for many of us the characters are no real compensation: too many are either horrendously written (all the female characters), idiots (Lorie) or simply blank slates filling space (T-Dog, Carol). Even the supposed tensions between characters is elongated beyond sense. But overall, I see it as part of a larger problem with series-driven TV at the moment.

I don't buy this "slow burning" argument anymore; that drip-feeding your plot through inertia or excessive filler is clever, or enjoyable. I just think it's a cop-out excuse being used to forgive shows with no clear direction or sense of dramatic pacing, or worse: it's used to perceive artistic merit where there is none, just hamfisted production. I'm not having a go at your ricero btw, am just observing generally.

Just because it worked for Mad Men or The Wire, doesn't mean it's going to work for The Walking Dead or other shows such as (for example) Boardwalk Empire. And whether it's the pressure to fill a predetermined number of episodes, or simply scriptwriters indulging in some creative powertrip, there are now too many shows whose pacing dawdles to the point of indolence. I miss god old-fashioned 'cliffhanger' based TV, but suddenly it's not trendy anymore.
    How come you dont like carol? I think shes far from a blank slate. shes a wonderful actress,interesting and easy to watch ,well she isnt annoying atleast and she just seems the most realistic survivor out of the group. I really like her character, does nobody else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

People complaining have clearly not

A - read the comics (neither have I btw)
    B - At least know the concept of the show and expect it to be something it is not (hint the Zombies are secondary only)

well... it actually does, doesn't it?
    I thought that was the point of the title, that yeah they were technically alive as in not zombies but they didn't really have a life and were just 'walking dead'

Bingo, that summarizes it.

How come you dont like carol? I think shes far from a blank slate. shes a wonderful actress,interesting and easy to watch ,well she isnt annoying atleast and she just seems the most realistic survivor out of the group. I really like her character, does nobody else?
    Easy to watch? Just to be clear; I'm talking about Carol, the now-bereaving mother of Sofia. Not Andrea, the blonde

And either way, both characters are horribly written. Admittedly a lost daughter would preoccupy any parent's mind, but no attempt was made to evolve Carol's character in the face of this adversity. All through series 2 she just sat in the background looking distraught.

B - At least know the concept of the show and expect it to be something it is not (hint the Zombies are secondary only).

An oversimplifcation and then some. I don't think anyone here has complained about a lack of zombie carnage - at any point really - so it's a bit glib to say that it's part of people's complaints. It's the terrible plotting, characterization & pacing that's annoying most people, including myself. So if zombies are secondary to the human story, then it stands to reason that part should stand up to scrutiny, which it doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Basq wrote: »
    God.. I consider myself a patient man and I've continually defended this show, but this show is AWFUL!

mj70x.png

That graph leaves out; Glenn discussing his confusion about women with however he is sharing a scene with. Those scenes feel at least as long as the ad breaks must to those who watch on commercial television.

B - At least know the concept of the show and expect it to be something it is not (hint the Zombies are secondary only)

ya thats it, i said it before this is a drama set in a zombie apocalypse, not the other way around,

things may change now with the new showrunner but they also might not, either way i dont think itll change enough that it will be a totally different show from the last season and a half,

so if your unhappy now i think you still be unhappy at the end of season 4:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The thing with the whether Shane was right to open the barn and initiate the 'killing' of the interred zombies is really a moot point to anyone who has read the comics.
    As in that story Shane wasn't there, the zombies escaped and ate their way through Herschel's family.
    Clearly Shane did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

just watched episode 8 and i was bored to tears... where the f**K are the zombies? & the apocalyptic chaos of season 1?. the show has turned into a bad soap opera... after watching breaking bad season 1-4 over christmas i can't go back to mediocreville :pac:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

after watching breaking bad season 1-4 over christmas i can't go back to mediocreville :pac:...
    After watching that, you're gonna find 95% of TV unsatisfying! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so rick stalled everyone looking for the girl and lots of people felt the show had stalled too, but we're wrong. right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I genuinely dont know which one Carol is, says a lot about a tv show in its second season that half the characters are still "your man with the.." instead of being memorable.

I get that its not an action series about zombies, its about the human drama, but the drama is TERRIBLE, its daytime soap opera and sitting around whinging about stuff. Rick is probably the most idiotic leader ever, he routinely puts people in harms way over stupid morality choices, team Shane ftw. in a real zombie apocalypse he's who I'd want on my side (I'd still watch him like a hawk though, you aint using me for zombie bait!)

• Site Banned Posts: 44 Pegasus Galactica

Has the potential to be a great show. slow at times but have a feeling it will get very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The shows biggest problem is that they are trying to make this into a 7 series long affair, which at this rate no way will it last that long.

They obviously have serious budget problems.. or why else would they spend an entire season on a farm?!!
    I'd say the producers idea is to just move from one main set (safe area) to another each season. If they were able to speed this process up, it would actually be a decent show. The slow pace followed by lots of action shtick can work in a comic, but with writing this bad, it just doesn't work with a tv show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

There's a definite change since the break most notably the bar scene, I don't remember anything similar in episodes before.

Also rick looked really ragged and he killed two human beings which will affect his character.
    There was also mentioned that carl was becoming colder by someone I can't remember.
    I think there is going to be more emphasis and time put into the characters themselves reacting to the situation there in.
    Again I know the comics is different to the show but maybe the writers are going back and taking more ideas from the comics after hearing about the complaints.

For all those who want more zombies it was mentioned in the talking dead that that there will be more

The show has a lot of potential and we all seeemed frustrated with it not pulling through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

False I've read the comic and still have issues with the show.

Giruilla wrote: »
    The shows biggest problem is that they are trying to make this into a 7 series long affair, which at this rate no way will it last that long.

They obviously have serious budget problems.. or why else would they spend an entire season on a farm?!!
    I'd say the producers idea is to just move from one main set (safe area) to another each season. If they were able to speed this process up, it would actually be a decent show. The slow pace followed by lots of action shtick can work in a comic, but with writing this bad, it just doesn't work with a tv show.

Disagree with you on the longevity of the show , while its certainly not firing on all cylinders creatively speaking, with the ratings its getting it is certainly in no danger of being cancelled . Agree with you on your point about what works in comics doesn't necessarily work on tv tho , comics tend to play fast n loose on the amount of time that passes in between panels so Carl can get shot be treated and be back on his feet within a few pages where as in the show we get 3 episodes of Lori crying over his bed which hardly makes for gripping tv.

An oversimplifcation and then some. I don't think anyone here has complained about a lack of zombie carnage - at any point really - so it's a bit glib to say that it's part of people's complaints. It's the terrible plotting, characterization & pacing that's annoying most people, including myself. So if zombies are secondary to the human story, then it stands to reason that part should stand up to scrutiny, which it doesn't

Something draws you back to watch it.
    False I've read the comic and still have issues with the show.

Ok, what don't you like about it?

Making the comic directly into a TV would be terrible.

Ok, what don't you like about it?

Making the comic directly into a TV would be terrible.

My problems with this season are ironically that we have had a surfeit of the very camplife I had bemoaned the lack of last season but at the expense of any narrative momentum(I'm hard to please I know). The decision to break the season in half led them to write themselves into a corner whereby in order to end the first 6 eps with Sophie coming out of that barn(the timeline of how she got in there still doesn't work btw) nothing else of note could happen to distract them from their search. So instead of breaking up the monotony by having Rick/Glen/whoever meeting up and dealing with the 2 guys in the bar earlier in the season we have 6 eps of a fruitless search, of Shane shaving his head, of Lori sobbing over Carl's bedside, and of T-Dawg being the token black guy and getting no character development beyond his first name as per usual(seriously if you weren't gonna give him lines why not have him die of blood poisoning in that first ep to make way for Tyreese ???).

For me they should never have killed off Sophie in the first place, I mean c'mon what was the point beyond that one scene ? we knew her for all of 6 episodes so there was never gonna be any emotional payoff via her death or peoples reaction to her death as we never saw her interacting with anyone I/we had any attachment too (and I include Carol in that).

If they were gonna kill her off this season it should have been in the second half so as to allow a few scenes of Carl and Sophie interacting ala the comic so we could at least empathize with Carl losing the only person his age in the group. As things went we were left with 2 sobbing parents for the guts of 6 episodes.

Something draws you back to watch it.Ok, what don't you like about it?

Well it ain't because of the reasons you mentioned! I said during the season break that I would give the premiere of the 2nd half a go, and if things didn't seem to have picked up, would finally drop the show. I did, things haven't, so I'm being true to my word & doing just that. I'll keep reading the thread, to keep vaguely abreast of the plot & on the off-chance the show suddenly spikes upwards in quality. But it can't be said I didn't give the show a chance.

Given season 1 was only 5 episodes, and the second is only on its 8th, I think I've given the show a fair chance to prove its worth. I kept going back on the basis of false promises and slim chances which never materialised. It's easily the biggest wasted opportunity on mainstream TV & it's a pity such a (seemingly) rich, character-driven universe from the comics, has been reduced to sub-soapopera dramatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

I do like the show but I agree that it needs to get more action in it, otherwise it'll just become a soap opera on a farmstead with the vague threat of zombie attack looming. The group dynamic has similarities with Lost with the good/bad guy leadership struggle and accompanying love triangle but I hope, unlike Lost, the show keeps going somewhere compelling and believable so that we don't all lose interest. Breaking Bad had/has a very good balance where the show alternates skillfully between plot/character building episodes and episodes of payoff and action so I hope that The Walking Dead can get on a similar path and soon.

Well it ain't because of the reasons you mentioned! I said during the season break that I would give the premiere of the 2nd half a go, and if things didn't seem to have picked up, would finally drop the show. I did, things haven't, so I'm being true to my word & doing just that.

Fair enough, you can always skip through it after a few seasons when it is over. If I were you I would not keep reading the thread as you will get spoilers.

Breaking bad and Mad men are not fair to compare against, they get a lot more money and have a much wider space to move in plot wise.

Sophias death gave carol more development and karl (he would of shot her, becoming heartless etc)

One thing I will say for sure the show needs more Merle!

Fair enough, you can always skip through it after a few seasons when it is over. If I were you I would not keep reading the thread as you will get spoilers.

Breaking bad and Mad men are not fair to compare against, they get a lot more money and have a much wider space to move in plot wise.

Sophias death gave carol more development and karl (he would of shot her, becoming heartless etc)

What development ??? to be even more miserable then she was before , has her hair grown(does it ever?) , far preferred the comics portrayal of Carol tbh she was abit manic and you could tell she was damaged goods but she didn't make you want to self harm every time she was onscreen/panel. I can't see the point in keeping her alive at this point with Sophie gone unless the writers intend to put her and Daryl together, if not she is just gonna fade into the background ala T-Dawg.

As for Merle , would be pretty cool if it turned out Merle was a member of the group Trueblood and fat guy were a part of .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

jester77 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Rick was going to pop one in his head when he was standing over the body, he was looking menacing :D

Yep.

I can appreciate the points the more critical posters are making, and I watch very little series TV so I don't have a lot to compare it with, but nevertheless I've found it unmissable from series one.

Perhaps the writers take the view that it should be portrayed like war is said to be: long periods of boredom with sudden outburts of violence (but with the possibility/threat ever-present)...or was that Rigsby's marriage... ;) That said, some episodes were surely slower that was strictly necessary, but never enough to keep me from coming back for more.

As to characters, definitely some could be made more of and some are definitely irritating but if you were suddenly thrown into that kind of situation with a motley collection of people, some would surely be headwreckers. Mind you, I did look at Andrea tonight, making her badass pose on the back of the pickup and thought "I hope you get bitten or eaten real soon." I think the writers killed the wrong sister... Dale's heart is in the right place but his tendency toward interference rather than action is making him become annoying. Carol and T-Dog do seem just to be placeholders at the moment.

As for Lori
    taking off by herself in the car
    , for crying out loud!!! That's the zombie apocalypse equivalent of investigating the strange noise in the cellar in the middle of the night with only a nightie and a candle for protection. Hint for Lori,
    if you're on a straight stretch of road, you don't need to look at the map yet
    . Hershels words were in my head as I watched this scene, "It's a miracle you people made it this far."

Stork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

tumblr_lzbvvwxLyF1r5d224o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    tumblr_lzbvvwxLyF1r5d224o1_500.jpg

usually i don't give much attention to these memes but seriously,this one just shows how bad this show is in a nutshell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

storker wrote: »
    Perhaps the writers take the view that it should be portrayed like war is said to be: long periods of boredom with sudden outburts of violence (but with the possibility/threat ever-present)...or was that Rigsby's marriage... ;) That said, some episodes were surely slower that was strictly necessary, but never enough to keep me from coming back for more.
    You could be right, maybe thats what they're going for but where they're falling down is theres no sense of any threat while they're at the farm playing happy families. They've given up their guns and the best zombie killers in the group have gone out into the woods for long periods but noone at the farm seems to be in the least bit worried about zombies. If they just showed the rest of the cast being worried/anxious or even just looking over their shoulder a bit there'd be some sense that all is not right with the world. As it is we could have been watching the Waltons ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

JohnK wrote: »
    You could be right, maybe thats what they're going for but where they're falling down is theres no sense of any threat while they're at the farm playing happy families. They've given up their guns and the best zombie killers in the group have gone out into the woods for long periods but noone at the farm seems to be in the least bit worried about zombies. If they just showed the rest of the cast being worried/anxious or even just looking over their shoulder a bit there'd be some sense that all is not right with the world. As it is we could have been watching the Waltons ffs.

You're right about that. It kind of looks as it nobody was even standing guard until Dale took up his perch on the camper van.

Stork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

storker wrote: »

Perhaps the writers take the view that it should be portrayed like war is said to be: long periods of boredom with sudden outburts of violence (but with the possibility/threat ever-present)

I'm not sure that a war with walkers would be the same as one with humans, let alone with both, they don't need rest, food, shelter and there's only one way to kill them. I would've expected the threat to be bit more relentless, maybe 'cause I've read World War Z recently and it depicts that sort of war. And if they are sticking to the comics
    Everyone killed turns into a zombie so numbers would rise quickly

Not that pushed at this stage; were there some central mystery or unresolved plots to the show I'd probably avoid spoilers, but given how lethargic it all is, and how little plot there is, I'm not that pushed about reading any developments

Money has nothing to do with the point I was making - it was the issue of pacing; that the Walking Dead creators shouldn't be trying to ape those two shows' pacing (not that I know they are of course), as it's a completely unsuitable format and setting. In fact, the very nature of Walking Dead's setting should mean the traditional 'cliffhanger' TV-serial format be a perfect fit. And NO I'm not talking about zombie threats every week! :)

Disagree strongly for the reasons already given; Carol shows no signs of development bar stationary grieving. It may have been a bit hackneyed to do so, but were I one of the writers, at the very least I would have written her to go off the rails a little, maybe disappear off on her own, endanger the group with some reckless, emotional decisions - anything! Other than simply mope in the background.
    KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I'm not sure that a war with walkers would be the same as one with humans, let alone with both, they don't need rest, food, shelter and there's only one way to kill them. I would've expected the threat to be bit more relentless, maybe 'cause I've read World War Z recently and it depicts that sort of war. And if they are sticking to the comics
    Everyone killed turns into a zombie so numbers would rise quickly

I think he meant war in the metaphorical sense, not the literal one. That the idea of a Walker bursting in through the door would be ever present - that even in the quietest scenes or most serene of locations, nowhere would be truly safe. At any moment that peace could be shattered - for instance, the attack on the camp at the end of series 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Think this is back tonight! Looking forward to it

nuxxx wrote: »
    Think this is back tonight! Looking forward to it
    back last week in america,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

don ramo wrote: »
    back last week in america,

Yah I meant the latest episode, silly me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Decent episode. I enjoyed it. A few nitpicks though.

I could've done without the Glenn exposition to his girlfriend as it just felt out of place and forced like all of his scenes since she showed up. I also think them risking their lives for the one legged plot device wasn't smart.

And jaysus Lorie is such a harpy! Nothing subtle about that scene at all.

killshane.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

I think that Lori is rightly concerned about Shane in fairness. I'm concerned that they'll never leave the fecking farm!

Advertisement