Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I really liked that episode, some tense moments and plenty of action ,the way it should be. I thought the lori andrea storyline was very interesting and there argument was very well done. Rick is now becoming an extremely interesting character, even moreso than shane. The suicide beth story was meh, but atleast she got some lines and we got to see some interaction between her and maggie. And the story also developed andreas character even more. One bad thing about the ep was that almost none of the characters were in it, dale,glenn,hershel,carl,daryl,carol none of them, but i suppose there loss of air time went to good use for developing maggie,beth,lori and andrea. overall a very decent episode, the episodes have definitely been getting better ever since the mid season finale. I actually quite liked the bit at the end with the music and shane watching that strange zombie in the field, very nicely done. I dont know what it meant but I quite liked it.:) Looking forward to next episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Any ideas what the significance of the zombie/ person walking across the field was that shane kept looking at from the car?

That zombie is Shane; alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

How do people not see Rick handing Shane a gun after the nearly killed each other and Rick clearly left him behind and then came back for him as not resolving anything?

It resolved that Shane would not kill Rick whenever he had the chance, it also resolved that Rick is a proper badass stabbing Zombies in the head which Shane liked and used it to stay alive.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    At the end of episode when Rick comes back to rescue Shane, how did Shane know he could exit the rear of the bus? If he knew this why didn't he make a run for it earlier.

Eh because he is not stupid? Everyone knows that every bus has an easy exit out the back. He also scouted that same bus earlier….
    Also maybe just maybe Rick shouting "make a run for the back Shane!!!" might of helped him.

The lone Zombie symbolises Shane just going "hey look a zombie walking slowly through a field, awwwww" and then the car gord back and forth as if nothing is out of the ordinary.
    IE, it poses no threat Zombies will always be somewhere once they are not near you then it is all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Des wrote: »
    he's also stopped the nightly walkie talkie contact with the black dude who shot the wifezombie in the first episode, he promised he keep him updtaed on his progress :(

Yeah but Rick is so crap at radio communication he could do it 6 times a day and it wouldn't help anybody.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/11/the_walkie_-talkie_dead.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

How do people not see Rick handing Shane a gun after the nearly killed each other and Rick clearly left him behind and then came back for him as not resolving anything?

It resolved that Shane would not kill Rick whenever he had the chance, it also resolved that Rick is a proper badass stabbing Zombies in the head which Shane liked and used it to stay alive.

Just because Rick decided to be the bigger man and trust his old friend with a gun and wasn't shot immediately in turn does not in anyway mean things are kosher between them . Comic/tv show spoiler
    if they had followed comic continuity Shane should have died at the end of season 1 as things stand he has been cast or at the very least auditioned for a role in Darabonts cops and gangsters show LA Noir so what does that tell you about how resolved their issues are , they are on a collision course and there's only gonna be one winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Just because Rick decided to be the bigger man and trust his old friend with a gun and wasn't shot immediately in turn does not in anyway mean things are kosher between them . Comic/tv show spoiler

Not kosher, but resolved until a major life or death moment happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I like the theory that the zombie was a metaphor for Shane. I also read it as a sign of impending danger, as if he was walking towards the farm, and Shane was the only one who noticed while Rick waxed lyrical about better times as if they weren't smack bang in the middle of an apocalypse.

Good episode, I'm liking the Rick/Lori vs. Shane/Andrea dynamic they're setting up. Maybe I'm alone in appreciating the suicide discussion...it seems a logical development from Andrea's own torment a while back. And had to think of this thread when Rick spoke of using knives more often than guns from now on. See? The writers do think of these things, but probably space fleshing them out to suit individual episode narratives instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Eh because he is not stupid? Everyone knows that every bus has an easy exit out the back. He also scouted that same bus earlier….
    Also maybe just maybe Rick shouting "make a run for the back Shane!!!" might of helped him.

shane-walsh.jpg

:pac:

Two good episodes now in a row - some silly writing but forgivable given the genre.

I can live with silly writing if there is action / gore / zombies to back it up. At least this has been the case of late.

Looking forward to next week, show has gone from 3 stars to almost 4 stars since the restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

if they had followed comic continuity Shane should have died at the end of season 1 as things stand he has been cast or at the very least auditioned for a role in Darabonts cops and gangsters show LA Noir so what does that tell you about how resolved their issues are , they are on a collision course and there's only gonna be one winner

Possibly but not necessarily. What could also happen is
    the group gets trapped somewhere and Shane heroically tells Rick to get himself and his family to safety while he holds off the zombie horde before dying a heros death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

tvnutz wrote: »
    Last time I checked this was a discussion forum where people can discuss whether they liked it or not. Some people watch in the hope it gets better and if they want to come back every week and say it hasn't improved then that is up to them,because it is a discussion forum! Not everyone has to be saying this show is amazing,people can say what they want.
    i have no problem whatsoever with people discussing the merits (or lack of) in a particular episode, what bothers me is that the same people keep coming back to the thread time and time again sto post little gems like this.
    yep, and a few other people I know

i am genuinely puzzled by people who are continuing to watch this dross.. it's just awful.
    between posts like that from people who keep coming back here week after week saying it's **** and they're not watching it and the 'dour dower' popping in regularly to stir it up every week it's getting very tiring for people who might actually want to discuss the show rather than those who seem to enjoy nothing better than to p1ss all over it and the people who actually watch it.

if they really feel the need to direct their disdain towards something, head over to an x-factor thread and pour it out over something that really deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

JohnK wrote: »
    the group gets trapped somewhere and Shane heroically tells Rick to get himself and his family to safety while he holds off the zombie horde before dying a heros death.

You know that's so predictable and clichéd I'm almost certain it's going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Newaglish wrote: »
    JohnK wrote: »

You know that's so predictable and clichéd I'm almost certain it's going to happen.
    Yup I can defintly see that happening a sort of redemption angle to The shane character coming full circle after all the wrongs he's done in the past

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goddamnit. So 2 episodes ago I said I was giving up as the show was boring, going nowhere, narratively defunct, blah de blah. And I did! But then guess what I went and watched last night when boredom got the better of me ... *shakes head*

I dunno, it's bizarre - I have definitely given up on better shows than this (sorry Fringe); I think a lot of the persistence is a case that there's nothing actually better on TV at the moment, and I'd rather watch something that might come good, then channel-surf through a myriad of garbage & repeats. Plus I guess a zombie show tickles my inner nihilist on a weekly basis, so no complaints from that part of my psyche.

As it happens, the most recent 2 episodes, including last nights, were actually fairly OK. The pace has picked up a little, dreary suicide subplot notwithstanding, and it was good to finally see some proper confrontation between Rick & Shane. It may have been fairly unsubtle, but the parallel drawn between Shane trapped on the bus & what he did to Otis was a nice nod that the writers at least understand some form of dramatic arc & pacing. It was also enjoyable to see some reminder that nowhere is truly safe & that at any moment a situation may collapse into total chaos.

Oh and very surprising there isn't more discussion on Rick's passing comment about the zombified cops & their lack of injury. Seems like a fairly big suggestion that there's more to come on the origins and mechanics of the virus (particularly as according to the comics
    Everyone's infected and turn to a zombie when the pass, whether they have been bitten or not
    )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The last few episodes show a definite improvement on the first half of season 2. However there are still a few silly plotholes happening - the show will get good if they iron these out of future episodes.

Firstly, it's now a given fact that all the group accepts Dale's accusation that Shane killed Otis. Dale doesn't even know what happened, he just suspected Shane killed Otis. Dale then tells Andrea, then Lori, who tells Rick who then tells Shane "we all know what happened".

Despite Shane & Rick finding out that their prisoner knows about the farm, they still have him tied up in the boot on the way back?

Rick and Shane deeply cutting their hands to attract the zombies - just dumb. And the all those zombies were in the building and only attacked when Shane threw the tire iron through the window.

Nothing major but all these little things bring down the show and test your patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I honestly cannot believe the leap in quality the show has taken. I had all but given up on it by S2E3, when back recently and watched episodes 4 through 10 - it was like night and day, the show has accelerated greatly in every imaginable aspect, particularly characters, even to the point that even the hitherto unbearably slower episodes are now balanced by lashings of hyper-violence and grittiness that really compound the reality of the new world.

Now watching with eagle eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Despite Shane & Rick finding out that their prisoner knows about the farm, they still have him tied up in the boot on the way back?
    They don't know how much this guy knows. He mightn't know the location of the farm. No need to give him any more information than they have to.

This was a seriously good episode. Best one of season 2 so far in my opinion. I'll let a few plot holes go if they keep doing things like the scene with Rick shooting one zombie through another one's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    One bad thing about the ep was that almost none of the characters were in it, dale,glenn,hershel,carl,daryl,carol none of them,

you forgot T-Dog shame on you:D
    vibe666 wrote: »
    i have no problem whatsoever with people discussing the merits (or lack of) in a particular episode, what bothers me is that the same people keep coming back to the thread time and time again sto post little gems like this.

between posts like that from people who keep coming back here week after week saying it's **** and they're not watching it and the 'dour dower' popping in regularly to stir it up every week it's getting very tiring for people who might actually want to discuss the show rather than those who seem to enjoy nothing better than to p1ss all over it and the people who actually watch it.

if they really feel the need to direct their disdain towards something, head over to an x-factor thread and pour it out over something that really deserves it.

i have no problem with people saying bad things about the show, but its having to sift through the amount of posts, if people have stopped watching it i dont see why they continue to come back here and remind us how bad thier expierience with the walking dead is, now if they wanna know whats happening all they have to do is read the thread to find out,

i think a lot of people who were on the fence with this show have jumped to the liking side of the fence due to the last 3 episodes, yet there are still a good few people watching this week in week out and still hating the show, i hope it pays off for them and they start liking the show better and better each season, but i dont see the reason for being so so negative about every aspect of the show, i like this show but ill still point out things i didnt like,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The Gnome wrote: »
    they mentioned there were no bites on the guards and said it must have been "scratches".

Shane was then smart enough to cut himself open (Rick did prior to seeing these bodies I think) and get in nice and cosy with Zombies. Our Darwin Award of the week goes to...

The suicide story was actually decent, if not a little long. It's just annoying that they couldn't use it to just show Andrea's development, but had to involve Lori as well. Don't Like Lori.

Lot of fun stuff in the episode, miraculous recovery aside, that lads' 1-1 with lady zombie was hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I personally think that people should be allowed to air their grievances, and thats all fine, it is a public forum.

But what bothers me is when people just fill the thread with inflammatory comments, like below.

Anyone else given up on this show?

And its not the only thread where this stuff goes on.
    This article sums up my thoughts on Communitys cast and fans....deluded, nothing can save this show come May 2012, not even syndication:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/13/how-to-save-community/

[cue "oh shut up, Richard" retorts + thanks who*ing galore replies]

My point is if you aren't watching it then it would be nice, if you didn't try to come onto the thread and talk rubbish about it.

I also recognise the fact that some people have put a lot of time into the show with, what they feel, is no payoff and I respect their right to moan a bit.

The majority of people on this thread actually want to discuss the events on the show rather than have to see annoying comments, which frankly make it seem like those of us who still watch the show are complete idiots. We are not, and that is why people are getting so aggravated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Way too much zombies and action in that episode and not enough sitting around on the farm discussing stuff.
    That's it I'm finished with this show.

See y'all next week. :pac:

I salute you sir! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I personally think that people should be allowed to air their grievances, and thats all fine, it is a public forum.

But what bothers me is when people just fill the thread with inflammatory comments, like below.

And its not the only thread where this stuff goes on.

My point is if you aren't watching it then it would be nice, if you didn't try to come onto the thread and talk rubbish about it.

I also recognise the fact that some people have put a lot of time into the show with, what they feel, is no payoff and I respect their right to moan a bit.

The majority of people on this thread actually want to discuss the events on the show rather than have to see annoying comments, which frankly make it seem like those of us who still watch the show are complete idiots. We are not, and that is why people are getting so aggravated.

:eek: - no fair!, you're not allowed to dig up old posts to use as ammunition against me! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

hey richard remember when you said come may nothing can save commuinity.

bill2.jpg

:eek: - no fair!, you're not allowed to dig up old posts to use as ammunition against me! :(
    i don't think it matters when that was from, most of your posts are in he same vein, so it might as well have been yesterday, last week, last month or last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i don't think it matters when that was from, most of your posts are in he same vein, so it might as well have been yesterday, last week, last month or last year.

Whats all this recent hate towards richard dower for?:p He may talk about how much he hates the show a little too much but a few others are just as bad:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Whats all this recent hate towards richard dower for?:p He may talk about how much he hates the show a little too much but a few others are just as bad:P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77336069&postcount=1021

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the problem is the difference between constructive criticism - taking part in a debate on the show, it's flaws or otherwise - and glibly knocking it without contributing to the discussion. Doesn't reflect well on anyone, let alone any specific user; makes them seem like they're trolling... but anyway; the Walking Dead then ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Just two examples that came to mind, no doubt there have been many others (people) too.

he has quite a bit of form when it comes to putting down a lot of shows without being at all constructive, which is pretty odd if you look at some of the other stuff he does watch and posts positive comments on.

it just gets very tiresome when you see the same crap posted time and time again in the same threads and it makes me (and i imagine others too) less likely to post honest positive comments on something when you feel like you're going to get shot down for actually liking something.

as has been said numerous times before, i have no problem at all with someone commenting on not liking a specific episode, or even a few episodes, but continually show bashing isn't on. if you've stopped watching it then fair enough, but cut your losses and move onto something else rather than keeping coming back here to put a downer on the rest of us.

we've now wasted the best part of two pages of posts giving lout about people giving out, so it's probable time to get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

we've now wasted the best part of two pages of posts giving lout about people giving out, so it's probable time to get back on topic.

That would be nice. Why did Rick and Shane cut themselves to attract the walkers? All they had to do was stand there and be living to do that.

At least they are starting to use melee weapons. Bring on the axes and hammers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That would be nice. Why did Rick and Shane cut themselves to attract the walkers? All they had to do was stand there and be living to do that.

At least they are starting to use melee weapons. Bring on the axes and hammers!!

So they would go for the blood and not actually them, reduce the risk of getting scratched.

Dempsey wrote: »
    So they would go for the blood and not actually them, reduce the risk of getting scratched.

Hmmm... Would the big wire fence between them and the walker not have been a good enough protection against being scratched? Why would you fight a walker when you had an open wound, which would mean a higher chance of infection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Why did Rick and Shane cut themselves to attract the walkers? All they had to do was stand there and be living to do that.

I really don't know why they did. Perhaps Zombies have a keener sense of smell than Sharks! But it's been proven that they smell the living, so yeah, no need for self mutilation, especially if they're going to be getting in close and personal with Zombies. ZTD imminent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hmmm... Would the big wire fence between them and the walker not have been a good enough protection against being scratched? Why would you fight a walker when you had an open wound, which would mean a higher chance of infection?
    I assume it's down to the walkers wanting to taste the blood, which brings their head closer to them allowing them to stab them in the head. Both times when Shame (in the bus) and Rick (at the fence) killed them after smearing their blood because the zombies moved their head forward to tasted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Another thing from the latest episode,Shane remarked that scratches may lead to infection after examining the dead security guards yet Rick who was covered in cuts & scratches from his fight with Shane blows the brains out of a zombie from 6 inches and gets covered in zombie blood doesn't get infected?

Despite the flaws I'll keep watching the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

zerks wrote: »
    Another thing from the latest episode,Shane remarked that scratches may lead to infection after examining the dead security guards yet Rick who was covered in cuts & scratches from his fight with Shane blows the brains out of a zombie from 6 inches and gets covered in zombie blood doesn't get infected?

Despite the flaws I'll keep watching the show.

Don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say this , it's not a flaw/plothole .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say this , it's not a flaw/plothole .

The characters dont know how the infection spreads though. Yet they are often covered in zombie juice and in the latest one cut themselves on the palm of the hand (simply because its a cliche, any rational person knows the one place you dont want cut and sore when you have stuff to do is on the palm of your hand) and go mauling and poking zombies thinking nothing of it.

I know you have to give them some leeway though, I'm not trying to be over critical or anything. I know if it was too realistic it would be people on top of a bus picking off walkers without ever getting near them. Wouldnt make for exciting tv but some things they do are pretty stupid at times.

from the amount of times we've seen people covered in zombie blood (not to mention rick and glenn covering themselves in rotten blood and guts to hide their scent so they could get to the getaway cars from the shop in S1), you'd have to assume that it's only the saliva via a bite that is actually contagious and that the group are aware of this, although personally i'd be doing a lot more to keep the stuff off me than they seem to do if for no other reason than it's gross.

you'd have to wonder if there's going to be something to come from shane noticing that those two guards weren't bitten though and why he and rick seemed lightly puzzled about the idea of scratches getting infected. do they think a zombie licked them or something?

and the whole thing about cutting themselves was a bit dumb, but you can see how it could be used to attract zombies to the blood rather than to a person in certain circumstances, but if you had to do it and you had any sense, surely you'd do it somewhere like on the back of your forearm rather than the palm of your hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Think it was just a call back to the Rick and Glen Zombie suits in season 1, if they don't react to their own flesh then they'd quicken up for live blood, maybe Rick was testing that. But yeah, It isn't a plot hole. They haven't focused much on the terms of zombification, but this episode had a good few hints at how it could go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

What do people think of Lori's arguments against Andrea's "inutility" in looking out for walkers rather than doing chores around the house?

Surely, in a post-apocalyptic world overrun with murderous zombies there is much more use in trying to keep the farm safe than "cleaning" the house. Who gives a s*it if the house is clean, all people want to do is stay warm and have some food, which Lori can manage to make with Hershel's daughters if she really wants to.

She says that the women retreating to traditional gender roles brings stability to their situation. Is the human race really that stupid, that in the face of adversity women prefer to clean the house and cook while the men of the household protect them? Is it some sort of a manifestation of evolutionary instincts, or am I the only one thinking that Andrea is right in not caring about housework around a farm that is the sole refuge of the human race from complete extinction?

I know this show is not written amazingly well and I might be overthinking it, but I cannot stand the character of Lori and this really got on my nerves. It's nearly as bad as Hershel's belief that the zombies shouldn't be killed, it's just the ridiculously close-minded, anti-logical and backwards thinking that would threaten the human race if this zombie apocalypse really happened.

Does anybody else think that if this happened in Japan or Russia rather than the States, the characters would get along and figure out a logically sound way to survive rather than over-dramatise each word and action as if the rules of the world before the apocalypse still apply? Grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I liked the "...and boyfriend" line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

What do people think of Lori's arguments against Andrea's "inutility" in looking out for walkers rather than doing chores around the house?

It makes sense from a couple of perspectives.

From a writing perspective it pushed Andrea and she got herself banned from the house. This enforces the Shane/Andrea relationship and also the dominance on the farm of Rick/Lori.

From a human perspective, I guess as their environment has become more primal in nature they are reverting to natural gender roles. It makes sense. The gender roles that we're used to here are quite a modern social construct. Also when people are scared or on edge they reach for whatever makes them comfortable.

That said, the men on this show are useless. What do Dale/T-Dog/Daryl do all day when Rick/Shane/Glenn are off in the car? Dale wanders around looking for opportunities to look shocked in the background, T-Dog hides somewhere, Daryl sulks by himself. Andrea is an idiot and a terrible lookout, but no-one else seems bothered with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Dale wanders around looking for opportunities to look shocked in the background

:D:D:D

tumblr_lzq0yahy7R1r5d224o1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

OctavarIan wrote: »
    It makes sense from a couple of perspectives.

From a writing perspective it pushed Andrea and she got herself banned from the house. This enforces the Shane/Andrea relationship and also the dominance on the farm of Rick/Lori.

From a human perspective, I guess as their environment has become more primal in nature they are reverting to natural gender roles. It makes sense. The gender roles that we're used to here are quite a modern social construct. Also when people are scared or on edge they reach for whatever makes them comfortable.

That said, the men on this show are useless. What do Dale/T-Dog/Daryl do all day when Rick/Shane/Glenn are off in the car? Dale wanders around looking for opportunities to look shocked in the background, T-Dog hides somewhere, Daryl sulks by himself. Andrea is an idiot and a terrible lookout, but no-one else seems bothered with the job.

yup.

andreas a great shot, but what happens when the bullets run out ?

its already getting to the stage when its going to be brute force with blunt weapons to take out the zombies and TBH theres the elephant in the room.

only the girls can have kids so evreryone of them that tops it is one less chance humanity has of surviving this. it kinda reminds me of battlestar when they mooted banning abortions as there was so few of them left.

if memory serves this is actualy the second time theyve broached the gender roles thing so its good to see andrea, who rolled in back then, is standing up for herself now.

i agree with the psychological effect of wanting something familiar too. the worlds gone to hell, doing basic routines normal things helps take their minds off it. you could say lori giving out to andrea is actually a symptom of that as andrea aint doing it like her.

on the episode.

i though this was a great one. the shane rick dynamic is too good to lose and it pays off well here. on the blood thing IIRC the doc in the CDC said theyve only the most basic brain function and smell is our oldest sense so it makes sense they'd go for the smell of that over whats right in front of them. i agree with others that cutting the palm makes no sense though, the arm would be better.

on the guards, im spoilering this bit
    seems to me theyre starting to broach the subject that theyre already infected and the bite just pushes them over the edge as if both those guards are only scratched then my money is they had heart attacks or someting and then came back.

hence no bites or wounds

its something in the comics and i dont want to ruin it for the TV fans.

on the new lad in the trunk he definetly spells trouble to me. far too wackadoodle taking out the zombie for my liking and if he knew herchels daughter he'd know where the farm is too so he's lying his arse off.

still dont get why rick didnt just leave him somewhere though. all he'd need is a car with petrol in it.

still, liked this one.

:)

yup.
    its already getting to the stage when its going to be brute force with blunt weapons to take out the zombies and TBH theres the elephant in the room.

i agree with the psychological effect of wanting something familiar too. the worlds gone to hell, doing basic routines normal things helps take their minds off it. you could say lori giving out to andrea is actually a symptom of that as andrea aint doing it like her.

Ha! If you want to talk about stereotyping the women, just wait for when Michonne shows up. Word on the net is that it'll be in this season's finale.

Now, as for life in a post Zombie Apocalypse, you can find my thoughts at the thread below: http://boards.ie/tre/2056545504

(Am I sad to have sarted it?)

Well perhaps the writers were going for the angle of people finding solace in the routine during a crisis; but to be honest, the scripting for the female characters throughout the season has been so poor I'd not rule out a simple continuation of that same poor writing.

Maybe it's just me, but seems like the general trend has been to write the women either as helpless victims (Carol, Andrea) or shrews (Lori); so it didn't come as too much of a surprise that Lori started talking of cooking and cleaning, so the men-folk have something nice to come home to. If the sub-text was there, it came off the back of a lot of slopping writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

pixelburp wrote: »

Maybe it's just me, but seems like the general trend has been to write the women either as helpless victims (Carol, Andrea) or shrews (Lori);

Yeah I know! The women are so weak.

This would be the same andrea thats taken out several dozen walkers and a better shot than anyone else in camp and the same lori who took out two walkers while trapped in a car.

Weak women yeh? :p

Admittedly she crashed said car but what do you expect? women drivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Kirby wrote: »

This would be the same andrea thats taken out several dozen walkers and a better shot than anyone else in camp and the same lori who took out two walkers while trapped in a car.

Man, wait and you'll see a powerful woman..
    Her Comic book intro alone like, not only is that more bad-ass than anything Lori or Andrea have done, plus the amount of power that implies to Michonne and her origins

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »

The only reason Lori was in a position to take out two walkers was because the writers arbitrarily decided to have her drive into town after an idiotic brainfart on her part. And before that, her character was written as an intolerably moralising shrew (I submit to the jury the very first episode of series 2 where she chastised the crew for scavenging the abandoned cars on the highway). The tut-tuting of the Mother Hen archetype has been pretty strong since day one.

As for Andrea; well to be honest I don't count 'better shot' as a strong personality trait (cos then you might as well class Dale as a strong character for having the most desirable hat in the camp), and whilst I retract claiming her as a 'helpless' victim, she has been an underwritten, self-pitying character whose sole, actual contribution to series 2 was to hump Shane (thus annoying the comic-book fans) and spend the rest of the series hating everyone. So yeah, she's not playing Mother Hen & not trying to clean the house for the men-folk, so I suppose that makes her a 'strong' character.

The Walking Dead has absolutely zero female characters of any real substance or fibre. That said, the male ones fare no better when you take into account the likes of T-Dog, but all of the females in the show are either under-written or simply one-dimensional, lazy stereotypes. Even Maggie - arguably the most independent, pro-active, strong-willed female in the cast - is still written into a weak love-story with Glenn (yes I'm aware that such a thing happened in the comics, but I'd hope it wasn't so lame).

Advertisement