Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Playing a Song

• 18-07-2011 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Does anyone know,

How much a radio station needs to pay the artist (IRMA) to play their song on the radio.

Do they need to plan out all songs in advance to work out costs.

Do different artists music cost different prices.

Is the cost the reasons why we need to listen to the like of Baz and Lucy instead of music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

IF its a U2 song the money goes straight to a Dutch bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭SlanGoFoil2011

a tough question it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm not sure that it would be the same for all radio stations - a national broadcaster would probably pay a higher rate than a regional/local/community station.

This site may help: http://www.imro.ie

I'm don't know whether different artists cost more or less. It may be different for radio stations, but afaik tv stations negotiate a flat fee at the start of the year that covers licensing for all of the music that features in their shows. They submit logs for each programme of what tracks were used, and how much of them was used (30 secs etc), and those logs are presumably used to divvy up the fee that they pay among the artists & labels.

any radio presenters use this board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

any radio presenters use this board

What makes you think radio presenters would know ? It's the accountants within radio stations that would know stuff like this, not the presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The cost is is clearly far too much judging by the amount of chit-chat BS that's used to avoid playing music.

lifted from the web http://www.sentricmusic.com/faqs.aspx

Based on your average 3m30s song:
    BBC Radio 1 - up to £65.
    BBC 6 Music - up to £11.70.
    BBC 1Xtra - up to £9.80.
    BBC Regional Stations - up to £4.60.
    BBC Asian Network - up to £13.

Obviously one would have to scale back for the Irish market, euroise, add vat and sundry rip-offs.

lets say we scale back to €7 per song.

Still couldnt justify the amount of rubbish chit chat and fools reading newspaper articles that goes on on irish radio.

I can understand Johnathon Ross not playing music, he is talented and they pay alot for his services so he is not allowed to just play muisic.

But nobody listening to irish radio actually likes the pressenters so why do they not allow them to play more music

or maybe people do like the presenters??????????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

lets say we scale back to €7 per song.

Still couldnt justify the amount of rubbish chit chat and fools reading newspaper articles that goes on on irish radio.

I can understand Johnathon Ross not playing music, he is talented and they pay alot for his services so he is not allowed to just play muisic.

But nobody listening to irish radio actually likes the pressenters so why do they not allow them to play more music

or maybe people do like the presenters??????????????????????????

Obviously people do like the presenters, how many people call into Joe Duffy everyday? And Newstalk rarely plays music apart for Tom Dunne and Sile Seoige.
    What stations are you listening to if you think all the DJ's are terrible? And why keep listening? Ray Foley, KC, Ray D'Arcy, Tom Dunne, Sean Moncrieffe, Lunchtime on Newstalk, there're plenty of good people if you look.

OP asked whether they plan out songs in advance.
    I highly doubt it, considering the number of shows that take requests, and Ray Foley plays the most random music at times. And he once showed that the playlists are dynamic, as he was watching on his screen what KC was putting in his playlist 2mins before airtime, and was reading it out on air so KC started changing it.

Wow though, £65 to have a song played on BBCR1?? That's insane. I'd love to see the breakdown of where that money goes.....

is £65 alot.

Your song is being played to millions of people, doesnt seem like alot.

The station get 4 minutes of full produced programming.

Hopw much does Johnathon Ross get for 4 minutes,

mmmmm..... i suppose....now that i do some maths:

Avg Songs Per hour - 8
    Cost Per Hour - 8 X 65 = £520
    Subtract the hundreds they get for each ad during (for arguments sake) 4 ad breaks per hour, i suppose it's not that much after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Depends on the type of station eg a temp licence pays a flat fee approx €750, while a commercial operator pays a fee AND a % of revenue.

Internet stations pay .0001 per song per listener which is approx € 2,500 per listener per year.

Its a very expensive business ! there has been mention of investigations into certain practises but to date (like everything else in Ireland !) nothing has happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Avg Songs Per hour - 8
    Subtract the hundreds they get for each ad during (for arguments sake) 4 ad breaks per hour, i suppose it's not that much after.

I don't know where to start with that.....unless you're talking nationals then the rates for individual ads can be tiny, and there isn't a single reference within that as to any of the many, many costs involved (building leasing, equipment, electricity, BCI licencing, payment to RTENL for transmission, etc)

Not to mention whatever wages are involved in the above, given the sales and production teams' involvement as well as whoever's on-air.

Average songs per hour should be about 12, btw.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't know where to start with that.....unless you're talking nationals then the rates for individual ads can be tiny, and there isn't a single reference within that as to any of the many, many costs involved (building leasing, equipment, electricity, BCI licencing, payment to RTENL for transmission, etc)

Not to mention whatever wages are involved in the above, given the sales and production teams' involvement as well as whoever's on-air.

Average songs per hour should be about 12, btw.

Yeah, I know they were stripped back maths and there're loads of other costs.

And I don't think you're right about an average of 12.... Spin play 10 an hour, 2FM play 10+ an hour, Today FM, depending on the DJ play 7-8+ per hour...but that's just from listening, I've never counted.

But I digress.

I think the moral of this thread is, running a radio station? EXPENSIVE! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Avg Songs Per hour - 8

You'll have to keep an eye on your music to speech ratio with your eight songs per hour. Thats approx 32 minutes music and another 12 for ads which leaves you with 16 minutes speech will leave you in trouble for yapping too much plus you'll have no listeners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Quite an interesting question this. Anyone know who to go to for the definitive answer?

The Muppet wrote: »
    You'll have to keep an eye on your music to speech ratio with your eight songs per hour. Thats approx 32 minutes music and another 12 for ads which leaves you with 16 minutes speech will leave you in trouble for yapping too much plus you'll have no listeners.

You're forgetting the few minutes of news per hour + jingles. But I see where you're coming from. It's just I listen to TodayFM and that's a talk heavy station really during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You're forgetting the few minutes of news per hour + jingles. But I see where you're coming from. It's just I listen to TodayFM and that's a talk heavy station really during the day.

News and jingles are counted as speech by the powers that be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Most stations are on 100% reporting so they report all music played including that in ad spots. Some smaller stations are exempt from this as there's a lot of admin work involved.

If the station has a computerised play out system (as most do), they just press a button to run the report. If the station or programme doesn't use a play out system then you manually record the tracks on paper and add it into the report.

Reports go to IMRO who have a predefined formula of dividing up the money to their members.

As I recall, most stations pay based on a percentage of revenue. This percentage is derived from the amount of "needle time" during certain hours of the day.

IMRO used to have some sample airplay rates on their web site but don't seem to any more.

Some useful info here.

Advertisement