Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Noclight: Fishie

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:55am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lord Randell of the Long Horn is away fighting the Others beyond the Wall, so it falls on me to begin a thread for a slippery, scaley sort by the name of Fishie - Is iasc í!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Shiminay wrote: »
    Is iasc é!

I'm a girl :D

(This happens to me a lot, don't worry)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Favourite packet of crisps?

If you could dropkick someone to the face and get away with it who would you do it to?

Ketchup or mayonnaise?

Pineapple on pizza, a heretical sin or juicy addition?

If you were transported back in time and were facing a young 6 year old Hitler alone in a field would you be willing to murder this young innocent child to prevent the deaths of millions or would you let him live?

Favourite cartoon you remember from your childhood?

What's your favourite fish to eat?

Why so serious?

Maguined wrote: »
    Favourite packet of crisps?
    Hula Hoops, the ones in the red packet
    If you could dropkick someone to the face and get away with it who would you do it to?
    Louis Walsh, he is a smarmy git and is responsible for a lot of bad music
    Ketchup or mayonnaise?
    Mayonnaise, but I’m not that keen on either
    Pineapple on pizza, a heretical sin or juicy addition?
    I quite like it actually! Who have I just sided with?
    If you were transported back in time and were facing a young 6 year old Hitler alone in a field would you be willing to murder this young innocent child to prevent the deaths of millions or would you let him live?
    I don’t think I’d be able to murder a child, even if it would prevent the deaths of about 40 million people. Also, due to causality, a massive change like that would probably stop me from ever existing. Look what nearly happened to Marty McFly just because he stopped his father from being hit by a car!
    Favourite cartoon you remember from your childhood?
    I loved Earthworm Jim. I remember very little about it, except that it was hilarious. Maybe if I watched it now, I’d find that it was rubbish and I’d have to question everything else from my childhood. I also liked Animaniacs.
    What's your favourite fish to eat?
    I’m a vegetarian. Even before I was veggie though, I didn’t like eating fish. It smells horrible and has a weird disintegratey texture. In the past I have forced myself to eat smoked salmon or prawns or whatever out of politeness, but I never enjoyed it.
    Why so serious?
    Because you touch yourself at night. :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Fishie wrote: »
    I'm a girl :D

(This happens to me a lot, don't worry)

A thousand pardons, I had you mixed up in my head with another Boardsie gent who I've met before called Fysh. I've made the appropriate change though :)

Some questions since I'm here:

What brought you to Boards?

What made you stay?

Have you a favourite hobby?

Do you find being a vegetarian difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Me ;)

• Advertisement

THEM!:mad:

Favourite movie, book and tv show and meaningful quote?

Kiss a noc, marry a noc, avoid a noc and fistfight a noc?

Milk, nectar of the gods or a bad choice?

A thousand pardons, I had you mixed up in my head with another Boardsie gent who I've met before called Fysh. I've made the appropriate change though :)
    Don’t worry, as I said it happens to me a lot – probably because I don’t have a feminine username or avatar, and this being the internet, people assume I’m male by default. I know Fysh as well, from the London forum.
    What brought you to Boards?
    I used to go to summer courses called CTYI when I was a teenager, and I heard about boards from someone there because there was a CTYI forum that was fairly active (it is still there actually, but the forum is pretty much dead now)
    What made you stay?
    I’ve gone through phases with boards– I got back into it again in 2005 when I was doing my Leaving Cert, the LC forum was immensely helpful in keeping my sanity. I drifted back in during my final year in college, possibly as a procrastination tool, and again sometime last year. I’m living in London now, and I like having the connection to Ireland, reading Irish newspapers isn’t as interactive as being on an Irish forum. Also, a lot of things on here are hilarious.
    Have you a favourite hobby?
    I’m trying to get back into sewing, last time my parents were over they brought my sewing machine and I’m starting again with simple stuff like cushion covers. I used to make my own clothes, nothing complicated, just skirts and trousers and things.
    Do you find being a vegetarian difficult?
    I’ve only been vegetarian since February or March. It’s nothing like as difficult as I thought it would be, although I only cook for myself which probably helps – it would be a lot more challenging if I had a family or live-in-boyfriend. It’s more difficult when someone else is cooking for me, like when I’m invited to dinner with someone – I feel so damn awkward! Some restaurants have quite limited vegetarian choices. Also, I’ve been surprised by how many things aren’t vegetarian, I only discovered recently that Worcester sauce has anchovies in it, for example. :mad:
    Also, I have tried not to make a big deal out of it, so a lot of people haven’t realised that I’m vegetarian – a friend’s brother needed a place to stay in London a couple of months ago, and stayed at my flat, and he brought over a load of Superquinn sausages to say thanks. I loved Superquinn sausages. I didn’t have the heart to tell him, so I thanked him for them and afterwards gave them to my brother (who was delighted)
    I also miss jelly sweets. Vegetarian jelly sweets just aren’t the same, the texture isn’t right.

Favourite movie, book and tv show and meaningful quote?
    I don’t tend to have one favourite, I go through phases with them. My current mood, however, is:

Movie – Singin’ in the Rain. It is so funny and it always makes me smile.

Book – I love books, but I don’t read enough anymore. I love A Short History of Nearly Everything, I keep going back to it.

TV Show – I’ve just recently finished watching the entire run of Buffy. Despite possibly jumping the shark in series 5, I still really enjoyed it. I also love Father Ted.

Quotation - "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain
    Kiss a noc, marry a noc, avoid a noc and fistfight a noc?
    Erm, eh, um… I don’t feel that I know anyone on this forum well enough yet for this!
    Milk, nectar of the gods or a bad choice?
    I love it. Nectar of the gods, for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Yeah, more questions...

Favourite song of all time? And why is it your favourite?
    Do very hairy people need to put on suncream when it is sunny?
    Own any pets?
    Why did you join boards?
    You a fan of paying huge amounts of tax in order to help out the banks?
    How tall are you?
    Ever consider taking an extended holiday to North Korea or Zimbabwe?

Kojak wrote: »
    Favourite song of all time? And why is it your favourite?
    I just checked and the most-played song on my iPod is ‘Take on Me’ by A-Ha, although I suspect this has something to do with it being the first song that plays when I haven’t put on the Hold button and the iPod starts playing itself in my bag. This happens quite a lot. It’s still a great song, even if I can’t quite hit the high notes. Also, the video is class.

Do very hairy people need to put on suncream when it is sunny?
    This is a degrees-of-hairiness issue, I think. If they had a full coat of hair, like a dog or a bear, then I don’t think they would. However, if there was any skin showing at all, they would need suncream in very sunny weather or at least cover up those hairless parts somehow… I know this because I have had sunburn on my scalp, along my parting. Ouch!
    Own any pets?
    Not with me in London. I have two cats at home in Dublin with my parents though, one is technically mine because he was given to me, but really he’s my Dad’s cat because Dad is his favourite.
    Why did you join boards?
    Originally I joined for the CTYI forum; CTYI was a summer course that I used to go to when I was younger. The CTYI forum is now full of cobwebs and nobody posts there anymore.
    You a fan of paying huge amounts of tax in order to help out the banks?
    Technically I am not paying tax to bail out the banks since I live in London and pay taxes here, though some would argue that I am still paying for it since the UK is helping with the bailout. Either way, no I don’t like it, but I’m not sure what other option there is.
    How tall are you?
    175cm, which I think translates to about 5’9”.
    Ever consider taking an extended holiday to North Korea or Zimbabwe?
    Not until you mentioned it! I wouldn’t mind visiting Zimbabwe, I know someone from there and it sounds like a beautiful country, though I doubt I’ll be able to go there anytime soon. I’ve been to Namibia, which is very close to Zimbabwe.
    I don’t know about North Korea though…

• Advertisement

How are you liking London so far?

Do you like the crazy kids in Cambden Town Markets?

Have you eaten at that cool Inamo place? the Japanese restaurant with the screen projection on your table so you don't talk to the water at all just poke at your table and they bring you things to eat and drink? if not you should its crazy fun.

Are you a good cook?

If you could have a superpower what would you want?

If you were a Jedi what colour would your lightsaber be?

What is your favourite and most hated accents in the world?

Do you follow/play any sports?

What's your job? do you like it?

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

do you consider yourself a creative person?
    do you have a drivers license?
    favourite country you've been to?
    country you haven't been to that you'd like to visit?

If you can read this, you're too close!

How are you liking London so far?
    I really like it! I moved over ‘for a year’ to do my MSc, and I’ve just stayed here, it’s been nearly two years now. There is a lot to do in London, there are still entire areas I haven’t explored. People bitch about the Tube, but after ten years of using the Dart I’d take the Tube every time! People also say it’s expensive, but honestly it doesn’t feel too expensive compared to Dublin. I think I’ve been very lucky though, a lot of people find London a bit lonely.
    Do you like the crazy kids in Cambden Town Markets?
    I do actually really like it there! Last time I was in Camden I got earrings made out of Lego. What more could I want out of life?
    Have you eaten at that cool Inamo place? the Japanese restaurant with the screen projection on your table so you don't talk to the water at all just poke at your table and they bring you things to eat and drink? if not you should its crazy fun.
    No I haven’t! I am intrigued though, I have a friend who is mad into Japanese stuff so I shall have to make her go there with me.
    Are you a good cook?
    I am when I can be bothered. I am lazy, however, and when I’m only making food for myself I tend to just fling any old thing together.
    If you could have a superpower what would you want?
    I think I’d have to go with teleportation. I don’t think I can think of any downsides of being able to teleport, only upsides – getting to go wherever I want without paying for travel costs, not having to commute, being able to go home and visit friends whenever I feel like it, being able to kick Louis Walsh in the face and then teleport away before being arrested…
    If you were a Jedi what colour would your lightsaber be?
    Purple, like Mace Windu.
    What is your favourite and most hated accents in the world?
    I love Scottish accents. An average-looking guy becomes instantly hot when he has a Scottish accent.
    Some London accents really get on my nerves. The accent where people say ‘sumfink’ instead of ‘something’, and stick ‘innit’ on the end of every sentence. Isn’t it what?
    Do you follow/play any sports?
    No. I’m not terribly interested in team sports, though I do enjoy the atmosphere of being at a match. I will happily join in cheering for Ireland if the Six Nations is on in a pub, but if I didn’t see it I wouldn’t seek out the score.
    I used to Trampoline when I was in college, but I don’t do any sports currently. Unless you count occasional scuba diving when I’m on holidays.
    What's your job? do you like it?
    I’m the assistant editor of a geology magazine. I only started the job two weeks ago, but I am enjoying it so far. The office is quite small, but everyone is very nice, and I’m actually writing again (I loved my last job, but it was all editing and no writing) Also, I will be doing a fair bit of travelling – I’m already booked to go to Norway, Germany and South Africa over the next couple of months. Perhaps I’ll get sick of it, but right now I’m excited about it!

koth wrote: »
    do you consider yourself a creative person?
    I’m not sure that I am, actually. I liked art when I was younger, but I was always better at copying things I could see rather than anything abstract. I love writing, but I think I am a much more factual writer. I don’t think I’m going to be the next Tolkien.
    do you have a drivers license?
    No :o I did my theory test when I was 17, but somehow never got round to doing the test. I have taken lessons, but my provisional is long expired. Actually taking some lessons is on my to-do list, apparently if you can drive in London you can drive anywhere, because it’s constant traffic. I don’t intend to get a car, there is no point in London, but it is a skill I will need to pick up sooner or later.
    favourite country you've been to?
    Kenya, I absolutely love it there. The diving is great, safaris are amazing (though expensive), and the people are generally friendly as long as you stay away from the tourist markets (the people there are like harpies) Alas, I am prone to sunburn, and my blood is like honey to the mosquitoes. Otherwise it's great!
    country you haven't been to that you'd like to visit?
    Just one? I want to go to Ecuador and visit the Galapagos. I’d also love to go to south-east Asia, maybe Cambodia or Indonesia. Now I'm just being greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

hello fishie!!

do you have scales?

did you ever have gold fish as a kid?

do you like Twilight?

what size are your feet?

Will we ever see the day when a pregnant man becomes president?
    You into prunes, and if so, what is your favourite type of prune?
    If Hollywood were making a film about your life, who would play the part of you?
    Also on the theme of this film, what would be the title of the film?
    In a fight between a giant inflatable banana and a social welfare officer, who would win and why?
    What special tricks/technique do you use at interviews which you believe give you a better chance of landing the job?
    (and here is a Q you have probably been asked before at an interview) Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

lil'bug wrote: »
    hello fishie!!
    Hello! :)
    do you have scales?
    Only on Thursdays.
    did you ever have gold fish as a kid?
    I've never had a fish of my own actually, probably because we always had cats. I used to have fish made out of glass though, which dangled from strings, and I had them in a giant brandy glass that was filled with water and had coloured glass beads on the bottom. It was pretty and they didn't need to be fed. Everyone wins!
    One of my friends in primary school had tropical fish, which I always thought were pretty cool.
    do you like Twilight?
    Well, I did read the books out of curiosity. It was interesting to see what everyone was going on about, but there are better books out there.
    what size are your feet?
    7, or 40/41 in European sizes.

Will we ever see the day when a pregnant man becomes president?
    Are you referring to Arnold Schwarzenegger? I don't think he can be president of the US because he was born in Austria. If you're referring to Ireland... I don't think that will ever happen, quite apart from the moral outrage from certain sections of Irish society, the guy would probably have given birth by the time the election was over. Don't even try questioning me on how that could ever work in real life.
    You into prunes, and if so, what is your favourite type of prune?
    I'm not that keen on dried fruit of any kind. I like fruit with the juice still in!
    If Hollywood were making a film about your life, who would play the part of you?
    According to super-sophisticated face-scanning software (well, a website) my doppelganger is Zhang Ziyi, which is surprising since I'm not Asian. Anyway, she can play me in the film, even if just to confuse everyone.
    Also on the theme of this film, what would be the title of the film?
    I'd give it a Chinese title, just to confuse people further. Maybe that translates to say 'Purple Monkey Dishwasher'
    In a fight between a giant inflatable banana and a social welfare officer, who would win and why?
    My first instinct is to say that the inflatable banana could not possibly win unless it was wielded by someone... Though I'm not sure that a social welfare officer would have enough of a sense of humour to actually defeat an unmoving inflatable banana, so I think the banana would win by default.
    What special tricks/technique do you use at interviews which you believe give you a better chance of landing the job?
    An outer facade of confidence, even if on the inside I'm ****ting bricks. I also overprepare for interviews, if that counts as a technique? For example, if I have the names of the interviewers in advance, I look them up online and find out as much as I can about their field.
    (and here is a Q you have probably been asked before at an interview) Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    That is a tough one! In five years I will be 29 and will hopefully still be writing, with a good portfolio of articles under my belt. I'll probably have moved jobs, though whether that means I'll have gone up in the company I'm currently in or moved somewhere else I don't know. In a way I hope I'm not still in London, because I don't want to get too settled here. As for marriage and kids - I can't see myself settling down by 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Do you think that this phone-hacking that has come out in the (gone) News of the World is a sign that they are all at it, but NaTW got caught first?

Do you think that museums should charge a fee at the door, considering how stupidly underfunded the museums in the UK and Ireland are compared to the US. Except for the BM and NH in London. Those guys are loaded. (jerks)

Did anyone ask the sandwich question? I'm going to ask it again anyway.
    Describe your favorite best ever sandwich in filthy detail.

How would you defend yourself if you were trapped in your office with an enraged honey badger? I mean, really angry. You've just stolen its honey-roasted cobra AND the comfy place it likes to sleep in.

Are you a hypocondriac? (i.e. obsessed with your health).
    Does bad grammar or bad spelling annoy you?
    Why is there so many receeding hairlines out nowadays?
    What was your favourite subject in school?
    Has the irish Leaving cert become too easy (as some politican's would have us believe)
    Would you help a homeless man if he asked you for something (say money) on the street?
    Have trade unions a place in modern society? are you a member of one?
    What county are you originally from in Ireland?

• Advertisement

reallyrose wrote: »
    Do you think that this phone-hacking that has come out in the (gone) News of the World is a sign that they are all at it, but NaTW got caught first?
    It really wouldn’t surprise me, though the News of the World seemed to be particularly vicious the way it went after people. I am slightly amused that the executives are being hounded in the way that they have hounded others for years, but I feel bad for the everyday journalists who have lost their jobs because of the whole thing.
    What's amazed me is the extent of it... It's not just limited to morally dubious journalists, but other people implicated include members of the Metropolitan police.
    Do you think that museums should charge a fee at the door, considering how stupidly underfunded the museums in the UK and Ireland are compared to the US. Except for the BM and NH in London. Those guys are loaded. (jerks)
    I’m not sure how I feel about this one. They’re definitely underfunded and could really do with the revenue, but would charging admission put people off visiting them? Although if it was something small like a euro, that would still provide badly-needed money but it is affordable for most people. Hmmm.
    As far as I understand, the NHM gets a lot of money from renting its halls out as a venue. Seriously, you can have your wedding reception in the central hall around the diplodocus; it just costs rather a lot. It often hosts private events like the Conservative Party summer ball. Obviously it gets government funding too though.
    (Maybe I should get married in the Dublin one? Next to the squashy-faced tiger)
    Did anyone ask the sandwich question? I'm going to ask it again anyway.
    Describe your favorite best ever sandwich in filthy detail.
    s boards makes me nostalgic for Ireland, I’m going to make one with Irish ingredients.
    I’ll start with batch bread, really fresh batch bread that’s all lovely and squashy. Then I’ll get some Kerrygold butter that’s been out of the fridge long enough to be soft, and I’ll spread some on the thick end piece of batch bread and eat it just like that. It’s not a real sandwich, but oh my, it is glorious.
    Then I would get two normal slices of the batch bread, butter them, and then slice some Dubliner cheese. I’d put that onto one of the slices, then put on most of a packet of Tayto, and then the second slice. Then I’d press it down to get that lovely scrunching sound, and cut the sandwich diagonally. It is very important that it be cut diagonally, anything else would ruin the flavour.
    Mmmmm crisp sandwich.
    How would you defend yourself if you were trapped in your office with an enraged honey badger? I mean, really angry. You've just stolen its honey-roasted cobra AND the comfy place it likes to sleep in.
    :eek: I think I might be better off using the honey-roasted cobra to kill myself, it would be a less messy and protracted death.
    If I decided to cling to life... My office is open plan, so I think evasive action would be more sensible than direct combat. Apparently honey badgers are difficult to kill even with direct machete blows, so I don't think I'd stand much of a chance. I'd probably run for the windows and hope that they break (I don't see why they'd be bulletproof) If that wasn't possible, if the honey badger was between me and the windows for example, I'd probably try to get up high, maybe put a chair on my desk and stand on it, then swipe it away with a metre stick that usually sits near my desk. Then I'd call someone, anyone, to rescue me, maybe by airlifting me out or something.

Are you a hypocondriac? (i.e. obsessed with your health).
    If anything I’m the opposite, I’m awful for putting off going to the doctor. I’m always like ah, it’ll fix itself eventually. A few years ago I kept getting ill and insisted it was just that I was tired and overdoing it, my mother eventually bundled me off to the doctor and I actually needed to have my tonsils out.
    Does bad grammar or bad spelling annoy you?
    Oh yes. It annoys me when people say “I seen that” or “I done that”, it annoys me when people say “quote” when they mean “quotation”, it annoys me when people use American spellings like “airplane” instead of “aeroplane” when they’re not even American, it annoys me when people use apostrophes wrong… I usually manage to hold in my rage, however.
    Why is there so many receeding hairlines out nowadays?
    Prince William has started a trend.
    What was your favourite subject in school?
    Probably Classical Studies or Biology.
    Has the irish Leaving cert become too easy (as some politican's would have us believe)
    I only did mine in 2005, I'd probably have a better perspective on this if i'd sat it 30 years ago. I certainly didn't find it easy at the time, the pressure from all directions was intense and I wasn't even going for a high-points course, it must be horrendous for people who want to do Medicine. People are getting better results these days than they did 30 years ago, but expectations are higher and a grind culture has developed. It certainly isn't easier in terms of stress, whatever about the actual subject matter.
    Would you help a homeless man if he asked you for something (say money) on the street?
    It depends on the situation. I do give money to homeless people, but if one came up to me and asked I'd be very wary of getting my purse out. Especially if I was at the Luas stop on Abbey St or by Jervis.
    Have trade unions a place in modern society? are you a member of one?
    I've actually never been a member of a trade union... I had the option of joining one in my old job, but I never got round to it. I think they definitely have a place, they can do a lot of good work representing staff who are being treated unfairly and who might not know about their rights otherwise. However, I can't help being irritated when the Tube staff go on strike again, usually it seems to be over something that seems quite trivial and London descends into absolute chaos every time they do it.
    What county are you originally from in Ireland?
    Dublin, almost Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Tell me a controversial opinion of yours. ;)

Pick a team of fiver, real or fictional, to save the world from impending doom.

Any pearls of wisdom in regards to this thing we call life? :pac:

In an ideal world where people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people, would you say that kiwi fruit are evil?
    Ever undergone hypnosis?
    Also ever go to one of those tarot reading/psychic crowd? If so, what did you think of the whole thing?
    Seeing as you are living in London, will you be attending any of the Olympic Games next summer?
    Which is more inappropriate for a lad to do in front of a woman - fart like there is no tomorrow, or start talking about investment opportunities in Southern Yemen?
    Ever been to southern yemen?

Sorry for my delayed responses, it is press week and I haven't had much time for faffing on the internet at work. Please keep asking me questions!
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Tell me a controversial opinion of yours. ;)
    I don’t believe in god, and don’t fully understand why many people do. I especially don’t understand why so many educated people do, such as my flatmate (who is doing a chemistry PhD, so I really think that she should know better. Not that I’d ever tell her this, as it would be quite offensive)
    Pick a team of fiver, real or fictional, to save the world from impending doom.
    What type of impending doom are we talking? Global warming, aliens, nuclear war, terrorism, inter-racial conflict, asteroid impact?

I think I’m going to have to try to cover all bases here:
    - Captain Planet, he’s our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero! While he’s at it, he could also sort out Northern Ireland and Israel/Palestine, as we saw in that memorable episode.
    - Bruce Willis, he can take down terrorists and blow up asteroids
    - Sarah Connor, she will hold off Skynet and generally kick ass
    - Jeff Goldblum, he can defeat entire alien races using his laptop. Also, anyone who can evade as many dinosaurs as he has done must be useful in other situations
    - Gary Johnston, he can use his acting to infiltrate terrorist organisations while also being a successful Broadway star
    Any pearls of wisdom in regards to this thing we call life? :pac:
    Stop worrying and take appreciate what you have. If you learn how to do this, please let me know.

In an ideal world where people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people, would you say that kiwi fruit are evil?
    Even without such a world, I’d still think kiwi fruit are evil. Why do they need so much potassium, unless they’re trying to poison people?
    Ever undergone hypnosis?
    No, and honestly I’m a bit sceptical that it even works. Much as I would love to be regressed into a past life and discover that I was once Marie Antoinette or something.
    Also ever go to one of those tarot reading/psychic crowd? If so, what did you think of the whole thing?
    A few years ago I went along to a thing in the RDS with my Mum to pick up our numbers for the Mini Marathon. They had palm reading, tarot reading etc and my Mum thought that we should get it done for the laugh. They actually put my hand on a scanner and read it on a machine, I’m not even joking… It wasn’t the old woman in tasselled scarves that I’d been expecting. I can’t remember much about what the results said (on a computer printout, of course) except that mum Mum was weirded out that it twice mentioned that I’d had illness as a child, which I had… However I’d consider that confirmation bias, chances are most people can think of some illness as a child that they could link that to, even if it is something as common as chicken pox.
    Seeing as you are living in London, will you be attending any of the Olympic Games next summer?
    No, I didn’t even bother applying for tickets because the whole system is such a nightmare. Also, I don’t tend to know what I’m doing in two weeks, much less in 15-16 months (which was the timespan between ticket applications and the actual Olympics)
    Which is more inappropriate for a lad to do in front of a woman - fart like there is no tomorrow, or start talking about investment opportunities in Southern Yemen?
    Farting, definitely. The former is disgusting, the latter is merely a bit dull.
    Ever been to southern yemen?
    No, nor have I been to Northern Yemen. Am I missing out? :D

As regards Souther Yemen, yes you are missing out.

More Questions (Christ this is like the Spanish Inquisition):

Is talking shíte an art form?
    Why are hedgehogs so spiny, and why do they curl up into a ball when you try and catch them?
    Have you started saving for a pension yet, or is it something you haven't considered yet?
    If there was a law tomorrow banning mobile phones for ever, would you be able to comply with the law?
    Did you always want to become a journalist, or had you a different career in mind when you were younger?
    Why won't county councils give planning permission to build a house made out of marzipan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

where is you favorite place to be?

do you like tennis?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

if you had to be stuck in a lift for an hour with either someone with bad BO or rancid farter who whould you choose?

do your socks match?

As regards Souther Yemen, yes you are missing out.
    I’ll bear that in mind if I ever get the chance to go there.
    More Questions (Christ this is like the Spanish Inquisition):
    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    Is talking shíte an art form?
    I think it is certainly an under-rated skill! The ability to talk a bit of shíte has smoothed over many an awkward situation in my life.
    Why are hedgehogs so spiny, and why do they curl up into a ball when you try and catch them?
    Hedgehogs are spiny as a form of self-defence, and I suppose they probably curl up into a ball because they don’t particularly want to be caught. They’re so damn cute though! One of my friends did TY work experience with a vet and someone brought in a baby hedgehog that they’d found in a drain, she got to help train it to be reintroduced into the wild. It was (rather unoriginally) called Spike, and was really friendly. Stroking a hedgehog when they’re not curled up is fine, because all their spines lie flat.
    Have you started saving for a pension yet, or is it something you haven't considered yet?
    In my last job, pension payments were taken automatically from my salary, I don’t know if I’ll get that back with my P45 or if I’ll get a teeny weeny pension from it when I’m 65 (I was only in the job for six months) With my new job, I think I start pension payments once I am past the probationary period.
    If there was a law tomorrow banning mobile phones for ever, would you be able to comply with the law?
    Banning mobile phones, but they’d still be available on the black market presumably? Hmmm… I think I would definitely find it challenging, having a phone has become such a part of my life! I’d actually have to make concrete plans with people instead of “I’ll text you when I’m on my way”. I could make myself comply with the law if the punishment was something crazy like torture and death, but if it was a small fine I’d probably risk it. God that’s sad, isn’t it?
    Did you always want to become a journalist, or had you a different career in mind when you were younger?
    Journalist was one of those things I always thought sounded like a cool job, but it wasn’t a long-term career plan or anything. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do when I left school, and the sort of career tests you do in TY used to give me results like ‘Clinical psychologist’ or ‘Religious leader – any denomination’ (??) I toyed with the idea of psychology for a while, as well as speech and language therapy or occupational therapy, but I went off the idea of doing a degree with a set career path at the end (like the therapist ones) in case I graduated and decided I wanted to do something completely different. I think for those types of courses you have to really know that you want to do it.
    I thought a general science degree would have better flexibility in that sense, and I thought it might be good to do neuroscience and get into psychology afterwards if I was still interested. I probably would have been quite happy in an English or Classics degree, but thought science graduates were more employable. I only picked up geology in first year because I didn’t want to do full maths, and then I found that I really liked it. I specialised in geology, but the options after that were either going into academia or going into industry, neither of which I was that keen on doing (my brother was getting to the end stages of his PhD in a different area of science and was a bit disillusioned with academia, which may have influenced this)
    During the summer before my final year, I got chatting to a customer in the shop where I worked, and it turned out that she was a science journalist. I thought that sounded AMAZING, so I asked her all about how she got into it. She’d done a science communication MSc in DCU, but she said that the universities in the UK had better networks of contacts so if she was doing it all again she’d probably head over that way. That evening I looked up science communication courses online and made a list of places I wanted to apply. Imperial in London was top of my list, and I never thought I would get in, but I was accepted so I didn’t even bother applying anywhere else. Funnily enough the same customer came in about a year after our original conversation and recognised me, she was delighted for me when I told her I was heading off to London. It’s funny the way one conversation can change your life so suddenly.
    (do I qualify for the ‘Long Answer of the Year’ award? ;))
    Why won't county councils give planning permission to build a house made out of marzipan?
    How do you know that they don’t? Maybe they just think marzipan is gack, or structurally unsound.

• Advertisement

where is you favorite place to be?
    I love curling up in bed and being all snug. I miss having lie ins! I could sleep for days if I was allowed. I’d even hibernate if I was allowed.
    do you like tennis?
    I have never really got into it! I played a bit when I was younger, but I wasn’t that great. My Mum loves watching Wimbledon but I’m not terribly interested. Maybe I should go along next summer, it’s probably fun to watch in person.
    how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    I believe that a woodchuck would chuck all he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
    if you had to be stuck in a lift for an hour with either someone with bad BO or rancid farter who whould you choose?
    Hmmm… That’s a difficult one! I think I’d have to choose the person with bad BO… It’s a constant smell that you could get used to having in the background, whereas a rancid farter would assault your nostrils in waves with varying smells. Also, I’ve had good practice already for the BO one, because for six months I lived with a girl who didn’t wash very often :(
    do your socks match?
    I’m not wearing socks today, because I’m wearing pumps. My socks generally match, however, unless I’m in a hurry or it’s something where it doesn’t really matter, like going to the gym or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement