Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property in marriage break-up

Options
  • 17-07-2011 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Can any one tell me if both names are not on deeds of house do you still get an equall share 3 kids married 14 yrs marriage has broken down. Never giiven me any money towards kids ect school , food ect bills

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its more complicated than that. however, just because an asset is in only one name doesn't mean that they get to keep it in a separation / divorce.

The basic rule is that proper provision must be made for both partners. That need not be in property.

You really need to talk to a solicitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd echo what Victor has said- you need to talk to a family law solicitor ASAP. FLAC can probably help you- or direct you in an appropriate direction. You really need professional help though- not the random comments on this or any other internet forum- from folk who may or may not know what they're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Chat to FLAC. They won't represent you and do all the work but they'll point out options and answer questions

You need a solicitor here and if you don't know any, FLAC might give you a list of some that work in family law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As abiove you need professional advice but be warned, the name does not have to be on the deed, a family member of ours was recently awarded the majority share of a house when their name was not on the deed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

If you were the wife, you are pretty much guaranteed to be awarded the house and children by our misandrist family law system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thats not true, ok there is a bias there no doubt but I have experience of it beingthe other way around also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    If you were the wife, you are pretty much guaranteed to be awarded the house and children by our misandrist family law system.

Thats not true, although if there is a minor child, the house is protected under the Family Home Act, and it is unlikely a sale could be forced. The custodian parent will most likely gain right of residence until the youngest child is 18.

It really doesn't matter whose name is on the deeds if it is viewed as a Family Home.

Advertisement