Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place in Ireland to get a PS3 fixed

Options
  • 18-07-2011 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭

My 60gb NTSC original Ps3 has decided to YLOD on me :(

This guy has sentimental value to me and would like to get it properly fixed. I could do the heatgun method myself but i love it too much for that! :pac:

Also it has proper backwards compat and I have some American Ps2 games, so i cant just but another one.

So where is the best place to get it fixed and how much am I looking at paying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My 60gb NTSC original Ps3 has decided to YLOD on me :(

This guy has sentimental value to me and would like to get it properly fixed. I could do the heatgun method myself but i love it too much for that! :pac:

Also it has proper backwards compat and I have some American Ps2 games, so i cant just but another one.

So where is the best place to get it fixed and how much am I looking at paying?

The Holy Grain of PS3's...an NTSC 60GB model. Those fetch a nice priced on ebay don't they? Def worth looking into a reball, I wouldn't touch it with a heat gun. I know Docentore has stopped offering the service for the time being :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There's your man Consolepro who used to be out in Bray but moved to the North Circular in Dublin. He seems to be recommended anywhere his name is mentioned, posted on here a few times too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks guys. I gave consolepros a ring there a few minutes ago and I'm going to get it re balled by them. It sounds like its the proper job! Sending it off next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Consolepros has the process mastered so your in good hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

What's the expected lifetime of it after the reball? Is it modded in anyway to help prevent it happening again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The reball should be considered as permanent a fix as possible. The problem in the first place is the heat build up/cool down splinters lead-free solder and breaks solder joints. The reball replaces the lead-free solder with lead solder, which is infinitely better. The splintering/weakening shouldn't happen with it, thus the join remains solid and you don't get a RROD/YLOD :)

The effectiveness of a reball is dependant on whether your board is warped from the heat of the console (makes it hard to ensure the microscopic solder balls all form joints with the GPU/CPU) and whether you've attempted a fix before (e.g. a reflow with a heat gun or reflowing station may make pads brittle, leaving them more likely to lift when removing the chip for a reball).

Advertisement