Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Companies - comparisons

• 18-07-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

Morning all,

My insurance is set to expire at midnight tonight. Currently with Carole Nash and have been for 6 years. Every year I get a quote, phone them up with competitive quotes and only then do they try to match. This year's no different - €366 for TPFT.

So I have checked with Quinn online and have a quote for €252, obviously for the same bike, address, etc. and that also includes No Claims protection. Now a matching quote back from Carole Nash is in at €277.

So - my question is this: has anyone done a policy comparison between these companies? Would spending the extra €25 on CN offer me a better policy in case the need arises?

(to be honest, I'm tired of having to repeatedly ask CN to better their quotes when that's what they should be doing from the word go - but advice from others might help with the decision)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The only "comparison" that I've done in the past is hearing the anecdotal stories about quinn's claims procedure. Therefore in the past I used their quote to reduce the renewal quote, like you have done.

Carol Nash intriguingly don't give me realistic quotes any more, despite nothing changing in 5 years they have gone from realistic to bizarre.

Adelaide were best for me this year, and Aon matched them so I just renewed as it was easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Personally with what ever insurance policy I'm renewing if I get a better quote, with similar cover, then I'll go with the new company. I don't see why I should spend my time getting a good quote for the original company to just beat it, if they wanted my money they should have offered me their best price not the one they think I'll pay and them lower it when I get a better quote.

Though on saying that I wouldn't go near Quinn, heard too many bad stories about their business practices when they where making money, now they are broke I'd only use them to beat a price down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Why not phone Carole Nash up and tell them the truth.

got a quote from you, blah blah blah.... look, save me the bother of phoning all the other insurance companies, getting quotes, comparing details/cover and going back to you and see if you can match/beat it .... ask them to drop €50-€100 off the price and you'll renew straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Del2005 wrote: »
    Though on saying that I wouldn't go near Quinn, heard too many bad stories about their business practices when they where making money, now they are broke I'd only use them to beat a price down.
    That'd be nice! Try being 21 on a 650cc bike :eek:

"How much do you want this year Mr Quinn?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Del2005 wrote: »
    ...I don't see why I should spend my time getting a good quote for the original company to just beat it, if they wanted my money they should have offered me their best price not the one they think I'll pay and them lower it when I get a better quote.

That's my take on it too - it's annoying alright, but I guess some folk might just go ahead and renew without querying it - in which case they're quids in.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    Why not phone Carole Nash up and tell them the truth.

Eventually I did, but without actually going through the process of 'shopping around' you don't know what the realistic price should be (well, I don't).

From the sounds of things I might stick with CN for the extra few bob. I have used the breakdown assist before and it was trouble free and easy enough. Never had to claim though, thank goodness (and touch wood).

EDIT: AON weren't too bad but not as competitive and Adelaide also gave a good quote but don't offer breakdown assist on bikes older than 10 years. Seeing as mines 20 it puts it out of the equation!

• Advertisement
Advertisement