Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Boards Deal]€20 instead of €40 for Cliffs of Moher and Galway City Tour

• 18-07-2011 10:35am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was browsing the Bargain Alerts forum and noticed a deal that's live at the moment offering a discount for a trip to Galway and the Cliffs from Dublin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056326452

I realise that there wouldn't be much interest for locals in this, but a lot of visitors look at this forum as well :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks Clareman :) I refuse to visit the Cliffs of Moher since they introduced their new rip-off charges.

The COM' seem to be getting loads of bad press these days. I was reading the news on the Clare FM website earlier and I came across the following story;

Visitors Urged To Stay Away From Cliffs Of Moher Today
    17 July, 2011 - 13:40

People have been urged to stay away from the Cliffs of moher today (sunday), on account of windy conditions at the site.

The visitor centre remains open, and while people can still visit the world famous visitor attrraction, people have been asked to defr their visits if at all possible.

Meanwhile, staff pickets at the world famous visitor attraction have been removed on account of today's conditions

Does anyone know why the staff are picketing the COM'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Thanks Clareman :) I refuse to visit the Cliffs of Moher since they introduced their new rip-off charges.

The COM' seem to be getting loads of bad press these days. I was reading the news on the Clare FM website earlier and I came across the following story;

Does anyone know why the staff are picketing the COM'?

TOTALLY with You Mrs D on staying away from the COM. Thye have ruined what ( for me) is one of the beauties of this World. My OH is from the Far East, and we have up to 4 visits every year. There was always 2 places we religiously brought the visitors to - Kilkenny & The COM. We haven't been back to the COM in a couple of years now, nor will we be. For me, Clare is the most beautiful and scenic county in all Ireland. Thankfully, we can turn left when we get to Kilkee and see sights every bit as good as the COM...and they are FREE.

I think ( sadly) the morons running the place will only take their heads out of the sand when it's too late - if it isn't that already.

Really really sad, but until they realise they are not sitting on something unique, I suppose they will just keep on with the same crazy policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Irishgalclare

Just to answer MrsD007's question - the staff at the Cliffs are on strike because the employer refused to implement a Labour Court Recommendation that they be given parity of pay with Clare County Council employees. The Cliffs of Moher Centre Ltd is a wholly owned and funded subsidiary of the Clare County Council. This issue has been going on for over 3 years.
    Shame on Clare County Council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Just to answer MrsD007's question - the staff at the Cliffs are on strike because the employer refused to implement a Labour Court Recommendation that they be given parity of pay with Clare County Council employees. The Cliffs of Moher Centre Ltd is a wholly owned and funded subsidiary of the Clare County Council. This issue has been going on for over 3 years.
    Shame on Clare County Council
    Many thanks for replying. That is disgraceful but nothing surprises me anymore about CCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

Back the workers and stay away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Irishgalclare

Today is Day 9 on the picket line at the Cliffs of Moher - 17 people are striking for their right to have a Labour Court Recommendation upheld. The Cliffs are beautiful and scenic when you are visiting as a tourist - however, on the picket line, they are bleak, cold, isolated and lonely. How can Clare County Council - an arm of local government - refuse to implement a Labour Court Rec? What message does that send to all the scumbag employers out there? Indeed what message does it send to all the decent employers also - perhaps they'll be rethinking their positions. The success of this strike is crucial!

celliman wrote: »
    Back the workers and stay away

TOTALLY AGREE!! Has the picket had an effect on numbers entering?

Today is Day 9 on the picket line at the Cliffs of Moher - 17 people are striking for their right to have a Labour Court Recommendation upheld. The Cliffs are beautiful and scenic when you are visiting as a tourist - however, on the picket line, they are bleak, cold, isolated and lonely. How can Clare County Council - an arm of local government - refuse to implement a Labour Court Rec? What message does that send to all the scumbag employers out there? Indeed what message does it send to all the decent employers also - perhaps they'll be rethinking their positions. The success of this strike is crucial!

Any truth in the rumour the strike has been called off pending negotiations with the LRC? If so, hope You guys have success!!! Guess the pickets HAVE had success then, and the numbers are down.

Fingers X'd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I started this thread to advertise the boards deal not to start a debate on the ongoing strike action or pricing queries, seeing as the boards deal has expired now though I don't see any reason to leave the thread open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement