Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo importation question

Options
  • 18-07-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Simple one for the knowledgeable: Is it within the law for me as an individual to import ammo, in this instance, pellets so long as I (a) fill in the correct documentation for the DOJ and (b) only import the amount listed on my firearms cert. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Goosie wrote: »
    Simple one for the knowledgeable: Is it within the law for me as an individual to import ammo, in this instance, pellets so long as I (a) fill in the correct documentation for the DOJ and (b) only import the amount listed on my firearms cert. TIA.

Yes its within the law.

Luckly though you want pellets, as they dont have any propellent in them I can only guess that the arent hazmat and the shipping should be minimal.

With pellets though, it could be a bit tricky though as im sure in most countries they can be bought over the counter but knowing this place there is a song/dance/secret handshake and a licence neeeded.

Do you have a company/friend that will ship them to you ? That will be half the battle as (from my experience) some companies arent interested in sifting through the laws of another jurisdiction and therefore dont ship outside there country.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

Thanks for that GH.

Getting them from a dealer up North. Its purely a matter of economics.
    Neither of the local dealers stock the ones that shoot best in my gun so on my last purchase I had to do an 80 mile round trip...near 3 gallons petrol...20€. Postage from North, £5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I had to do an 80 mile round trip...near 3 gallons petrol...20€. Postage from North, £5.

Slow down man ... its cheaper or leave the ferarri at home... ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

i no a guy who used to buy all his pellets off ebay, came in at less than €10 a tin buying them singally including postage from the UK. he only did it because he said the pellets he could get in his local dealers were ****e for hunting and the guy would not get him any different ones. they always came through standard post and he never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes its within the law.
    Er, with one correction:
    (b) only import the amount listed on my firearms cert.
    The amount on your cert is the total amount you can possess at any one time. If you have no pellets at home at all, you can import the amount on your cert; but if you have a tin or two at home, you can only import the amount on your cert minus those tins.

Which, for air pellets, is actually so bad it's funny (I've had shooters from other countries laugh when I showed them my licence, they thought it was a wind-up that you could be issued a licence for an air rifle with any kind of pellet limit, let alone a 100 pellet limit). But, bad joke though it is, it's the law and you could be done with it if you annoyed someone enough :(

• Advertisement

Slow down man ... its cheaper or leave the ferarri at home... ;):D

Lamborghini:P:D

i no a guy who used to buy all his pellets off ebay, came in at less than €10 a tin buying them singally including postage from the UK. he only did it because he said the pellets he could get in his local dealers were ****e for hunting and the guy would not get him any different ones. they always came through standard post and he never had a problem

I'm in the the same boat for availability around here. Bisley mags and f*** all else. They group about 3" @50yds for me.

Dont want to be the first with a problem.

I'm in the the same boat for availability around here. Bisley mags and f*** all else.
    Hang on, availability problems for airgun pellets in Meath?
    Get thee to Wilkinstown and talk to Geoff :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Hang on, availability problems for airgun pellets in Meath?
    Get thee to Wilkinstown and talk to Geoff :D

Target, Hunting or both????

More target than hunting for obvious reasons (Geoff is WTSC's tame firearms dealer), but yes, both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement