Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to UPC 50megs scared!

• 18-07-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Yes that's right I'm a little anxious about it! I just couldn't resist the extra speed & cap for only an extra €5 a month but it will mean having to give up my very stable modem/router combo. You see I went for the wired modem option (after reading the v long thread about the cisco epc2425) and paired it with a wrt54GL running tomato firmware. Brilliant stability and range (with transmit power turned up) with loads of extra features.

Anyway turns out UPC want their wired modem back - I realise it can't handle 50 meg speeds but I'll still be sorry to see it go.

I have a linksys e2000 router on order which I plan to flash with Tomato (as I need some stuff like remote WOL, bandwidth monitoring & scheduled access restriction which I'm pretty sure the Thomson couldnt handle) and hook up to the Thomson using the instructions here. Has anyone tried this particular combo and if so what's the range like? I'm a bit concerned that even with the transmit power turned up the range won't be as good as my wrt54GL. I've seen external antenna mod kits for the e2000 on eBay but very mixed reports about them.

PS All going well my WRT54G will be appearing on adverts.ie soon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why can't you just use the WRT54G with the Thomson modem? Is it because it's only 802.11G, and you want the higher speed? If so, there's no guarantee of speed over wireless anyway, even with an N router. For 50Mbps or higher, you need to forget wireless to get that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

It was because I wanted the higher speed but am really more interested in the higher cap. I'll see what speeds I'm getting on the e2000 and if it's no better than the wrt54g it's going back. Actually come to think of it I do most of my downloading with my server which is on a homeplug anyway so maybe I should just stick with the wrt54G.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

even the Homeplug mightn't do 50 mbits constant :)

Yeah that had occurred to me I might finally have to get around to running some Ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

jor el wrote: »
    Why can't you just use the WRT54G with the Thomson modem? Is it because it's only 802.11G, and you want the higher speed? If so, there's no guarantee of speed over wireless anyway, even with an N router. For 50Mbps or higher, you need to forget wireless to get that speed.

i routinely test my connection over wireless and always get the full speed with the thompson router, granted it does need to be reset daily as seems to lock up every so often

• Advertisement

Don't like the sound of that daily resetting. Is it because it runs quite hot? I wonder would turning off the Thomson's wireless (as I intend to use a separate wireless router) help?

How far away from the Thomson were you when you did that speed test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Advertisement