Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas Parade Any Good?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Did not make it this year just wondering did I miss much, talking to a few that were there it was very short.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a recession on don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

We went along yesterday, and while it was shortish (20 - 30 mins), it was very enjoyable. The detail that went into some of the floats was amazing, and the performers gave it everything in terms of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It was great craic to do anyway! I have to say the attention to detail in the costumes this year was particularly excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Definitely a case of quality over quantity. Floats were fantastic and it was clear that a lot of work went in to all the costumes. Fair play to all involved.

No fireworks anymore though? Too expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Chicken1 wrote: »
    talking to a few that were there it was very short.

Yep, KD was the grand marshal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Same as most posters. The detail especially the Rhino? in the wheelchair was brilliant.
    Well done to all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The Rhino was class, the rats with fire in their bellies, it was all very steampunk. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

those costumes were incredibly, I can't imagine the amount of hours that went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

It was fantastic, and I didn't find it short at all. The last one I was at was the last night-time one, two years ago, and yesterday's parade was far, far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I thought it was one of the best ever. Yes, it was short, but the quality was there. The steampunk style was great to look at. The costumes in particular were excellent. Well done, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just wondering why wasn't there one in the daytime for younger kids as well as the evening ine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

dinneenp wrote: »
    Just wondering why wasn't there one in the daytime for younger kids as well as the evening ine?

It would be logistically pretty impossible for the same company to do one in the daytime too. Not to mention extra traffic hassle too. Macnas do a nighttime one every few years, and I think it's good to have that.

A lot of my friends' little kids saw it, and part of the thrill was being allowed to stay up late! There's also a different kind of magic to a nighttime parade with things a little more strange and stuff going bang. Good to mix it up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Two thumbs up. Very enjoyable.

What was the theme btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

I loved it. It was my first time at a Macnas parade, being new to Gaillimh - I have to say that I was blown away by the attention to detail. A stunning parade, both visually and aurally (loved the drums!)
    There were plenty of children there, which I thought added to the atmosphere greatly. It was magical:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Two thumbs up. Very enjoyable.

What was the theme btw?

Beat me to the 2 thumbs up comment.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

It was very well done.
    Fair play to everyone who worked on it.
    I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Twas my 6th Arts Festival parade to drum in and it was defo one of the most enjoyable..... crowd really gave the energy back to us and everyone had good fun... see yez next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 babouska

My first Macnas Parade too, really enjoyed it, it was full of fun and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

It was the best one I've seen in a few years. Loved it! Thank you Ms. Kavanagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

What was the theme btw?

This Fierce Beauty

"Macnas Artistic Director Noeline Kavanagh, her third year in the role. She describes this year's theme as one of invention with undertones of sex, risk and adventure"

Which was interesting and all what with the gf in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

This was my first ever Macnas parade. I'd convinced myself I don't like parades based solely on the Paddy's Day celebrations every year. In reality, this was completely different. The colours, the fire, the general nonsensicalness of the whole thing was completely class. Would definitely go again next year.

Found a lovely slideshow by photographer Seán Mc Cormac, showing some of the 'characters' in the parade here

LOVE the 'magic number' one!

A bit disappointed with the edit of the other one tbh. A load of 'bits' ommitted and multiple coverage of one or two bits. But maybe they had footage issues?

There was a lot of footage overall. We used fifteen or so cameras for the parade shoot. The footage from the first video was all taken from one camera and then the second video is from every camera that was used. Glad you liked the first video! I was the editor on that. I really like the second video though too I have to say.

There was a lot of footage overall. We used fifteen or so cameras for the parade shoot. The footage from the first video was all taken from one camera and then the second video is from every camera that was used. Glad you liked the first video! I was the editor on that. I really like the second video though too I have to say.

Ye do a brill job in GAF TV I have to say, I'm always impressed with the level of work ye do :)
    I knew ye had multiple cameras, and the second one looks fine, it's just an edit taste thing - I felt like there were 8 or 9 shots of one set of dancers and none of say the balloon guy, street sweeper, explorer etc. The firs vid captured the vibe more for me tbh, but again, nothing wrong - just taste!
    Well done again on your edit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm new to Galway too and this was my first Macnas parade. I'd only seen bits on telly before this.

I was so surprised and really enjoyed it. I really got drawn into the spirit of the whole thing and I was really surprised that I ended up in awe at some of it, like the really bright flares and the hippo. It was really, really enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the next one already.

Is there going to be one for Halloween too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As already stated, there probably wasnt as many floats/people in the parade (hard to tell) as other years but what was there was most excellent. Stunning detail on everything, plenty noise and music. It's the best one I have seen so far in my opinion.
    Well done to all - always a "must see" event in my year anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement