Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys for small boys

• 18-07-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I need suggestions for good toys for a 2 1/2 year old boy.

A destructive little fella who's pretty hard on stuff.

Something that hopefully he'l get some learning from, instead of trying to insert it into the dog....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have a selection of the Happyland toys from the ELC. I'd highly recommend them, keeps himself (same age) content for hours.

Wooden toys are also good for heavy handed kids. They bounce instead of shattering!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Lego and Jigsaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

+1 on the lego. Duplo range keeps my lad entertained but he is a bit younger at just under 2 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I forgot play doh:)
    It is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

A set of building blocks.

Before you buy the playdoh, ask the mother first. Playdoh is barred in this house becaue it gets EVERYWHERE. We use plasticene . And Im not the only one.

• Advertisement

We allow it at the kitchen table only;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We have a similarly "spirited" small man. He has a table of Mega Blocks (even bigger than Duplo) that he never seems bored of. His godfather got it for him for his birthday. Footballs as well, he's wild about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A set of building blocks.

Before you buy the playdoh, ask the mother first. Playdoh is barred in this house becaue it gets EVERYWHERE. We use plasticene . And Im not the only one.

Didn't realize there was a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Trains. The wooden once. They love the metal Thomas ones, but they are very heavy if thrown and they struggle with the new design of the grey track. So I'd go with the wooden one if doing it again.

BostonB wrote: »
    Trains. The wooden once. They love the metal Thomas ones, but they are very heavy if thrown and they struggle with the new design of the grey track. So I'd go with the wooden one if doing it again.

Yes, and they can be pretty trecherous when one toddler clocks another in the head with one of them, but they are also far less expensive and easier to get.

Saying that I personally think the wooden ones are lot nicer and the tracks are too. They are also compatible with the cheaper wooden tracks you might find in tesco or sometimes aldi or lidl. The thomas brand wooden stuff can run high.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Didn't realize there was a difference?

Yep. Plasticene doesnt dry out like playdoh and it doesnt get crumby and end up everywhere. It also doesnt have that seductive smell that makes you want to eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It also doesnt have that seductive smell that makes you want to eat it.
    :D

Agree with the wooden trains. They ruled.

Ikea have a gorgeous wooden train set that we paid 6.49 for and my 2 1/2 year old loves it.
    They also have lovely construction type toys that are pretty indestructible that she loves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My nearly 2-year old Destructor's favourite toys at the moment are Lego/Duplo (anything with wheels or farm-related), fisher price 'little people' range, any kind of wheeled toy 7 his playmat (cheap from IKEA), anything featuring Peppa Pig, and his football. We've had to ban Plasticine, Playdoh and the sandbox from playtime as he insists on eating them (sand, not the sandbox). He also gets hours of play out of typical stuff like empty cardboard boxes. We're getting ready to move house and have loads of packing boxes, new and second hand. Any of the older ones we just draw on a set of wheels or the outline of a boat or a castle and he plays in them for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know a little boy of this age and he has a little tykes cozy coupe and he is always outside in it. He loves it.
    Another thing is the mega blocks wagon - mega blocks & a wagon to push around or the mega blocks dump truck.
    The fisher price little people range is good. The parts will fit with each other and the animal ones are nice. I give some one the garage set which he loved.
    When the little boy gets older and if he likes machinery I would look at the bruder range of machinery. My nephews have bruder machinery which they all play with. Some times this and lego can be got on amazon with good reductions.

Advertisement