Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I can't see AIB moving away from Laser any time soon. Unless they have plans to, but I have heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

I can't see AIB moving away from Laser any time soon. Unless they have plans to, but I have heard nothing.

Just in your opionion mate, which is better? Laser or Visa Debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Permanent Tsb are changing from Laser to Visa Debit in the Autumn

Surely if Permanent TSB are changing aswel, it won't be long before the rest move over also?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

deano_rich wrote: »

Visa Debit is a lot better! as far as I know, it can do everything a laser card can do, but it can also be used on line to book flights, rent cars... And it works all over the world as it works nearly everywhere where VISA is accepted!

So unless you don't travel and don't use the internet there is no different. If you do the Visa debit is better.

• Advertisement

marc1 wrote: »
    Visa Debit is a lot better! as far as I know, it can do everything a laser card can do, but it can also be used on line to book flights, rent cars... And it works all over the world as it works nearly everywhere where VISA is accepted!

So unless you don't travel and don't use the internet there is no different. If you do the Visa debit is better.

Thanks guys, think a switch to Ulster Bank might be in order :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

deano_rich wrote: »

Visa Debit by a mile. Visa Debit can do all that Laser can (it is accepted anywhere) but can be used on any websites. I've never once had it refused by any website or in a shop/supermarket etc. Internet purchases are the main reason why I changed to Visa Debit. Laser is too outdated, and useful only in Ireland, and on Irish websites. Visa Debit can be used worldwide as well. You can still get Cashback with Visa Debit, so there are no disadvantages.

Remember, like Laser cards, you have to pay €5 stamp duty a year - but it's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Wrong link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

That doesn't say anything about Visa Debit Card.
    Where can I use my new AIB Debit Card?
    Your new AIB Debit Card is widely accepted at supermarkets, petrol stations, department stores and other retail outlets. It is also accepted worldwide in over 120 countries at millions of retail outlets and ATMs where the Maestro and Link symbols are displayed. You can also use your card to pay for goods and services by phone, and over the internet where the Laser is accepted.

That doesn't say anything about Visa Debit Card.

You're correct ,I jumped the gun a bit :o I clicked a link that said visa debit and got that and presumed it was

I'll get me coat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I wonder is there an issue here with Laser/Visa Debit Card and the bailout, solvency issues etc. Is there political situation with AIB still using Laser? Since they're 90odd% state owned now maybe they've more important things to be worrying about.

I don't thnk Ulster Bank was overexposed to the prop bubble too bad.

I wonder is there an issue here with Laser/Visa Debit Card and the bailout, solvency issues etc. Is there political situation with AIB still using Laser? Since they're 90odd% state owned now maybe they've more important things to be worrying about.

Yeah I thought about that as well ,you'd think they'd be all over this VISA debit card by now.Maybe by making it lass easy to spend money it gives them a bigger return on their deposits ,don't forget it's debit not credit so it's coming straight out of the bank and lets face it ,people can spend money very easy on the internet.You can't use laser for a lot of the usual stuff ,ebay etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

AIB have always been a Mastercard house, Mastercard have a debit card, if AIB do change, they will go Mastercard Debit (which is not the same as Maestro)..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

AIB have always been a Mastercard house, Mastercard have a debit card, if AIB do change, they will go Mastercard Debit (which is not the same as Maestro)..

Nope, they will be going Visa Debit. Pardon the pun, but it's been on the cards for quite a while but, as Butch Cassidy, pointed out, they've had bigger priorities over the past few years. I would imagine that, at the very least, they will make an announcement later this year.

With regards AIB being a "Mastercard house"; I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Both the "Click" and the "Platinum" cards are Visa only, with the "Be" customers given a choice of Mastercard or Visa.

dotsman wrote: »
    Nope, they will be going Visa Debit. Pardon the pun, but it's been on the cards for quite a while but, as Butch Cassidy, pointed out, they've had bigger priorities over the past few years. I would imagine that, at the very least, they will make an announcement later this year.

With regards AIB being a "Mastercard house"; I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Both the "Click" and the "Platinum" cards are Visa only, with the "Be" customers given a choice of Mastercard or Visa.

In the dim distance past, AIB did Mastercard, and BoI did Visa, now they do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Just heard that UB were doing the Visa debit card today and seriously thinking about switching. Had one when in the states and they are so handy to have.

Really tempted - but if AIB were a few months off I would consider staying put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Linoge wrote: »
    Just heard that UB were doing the Visa debit card today and seriously thinking about switching. Had one when in the states and they are so handy to have.

Really tempted - but if AIB were a few months off I would consider staying put.

AIB are already doing visa debit cards, I got one on the post the other day!

00Blaine00 wrote: »

No offence, but are you certain it's a visa debit card? Had you specifically requested it? I knew they were working on it, but wasn't expecting it for at least another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

00Blaine00 wrote: »

AIB dont do visa debit cards only do visa credit card and maestro laser card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Ah my mistake, it was my TSB card... Not the AIB one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

in this day and age aib would be mad not to move to visa debit. if they put off much longer they might see customers move banks in droves. esp younger ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I left Ireland in November 2010 and I'm coming back in May this year..

I little birdy told me that AIB are goin' to be sendin' out Visa Debit cards to replace the Laser Maestro cards (which suck for me as I frequently purchased items online but was stuck using a 3V card which I can't be a**ed doing all the bloody time).

Is this true? I still have my Laser on me since I left and I was just wondering. Would be well handy if this is true.

Thanks.

gamercfc wrote: »
    I left Ireland in November 2010 and I'm coming back in May this year..

I little birdy told me that AIB are goin' to be sendin' out Visa Debit cards to replace the Laser Maestro cards (which suck for me as I frequently purchased items online but was stuck using a 3V card which I can't be a**ed doing all the bloody time).

Is this true? I still have my Laser on me since I left and I was just wondering. Would be well handy if this is true.

Thanks.

Not true (or not yet anyway), It's Bank of Ireland that are doing this.

You probably know, but Ulster Bank and Permanent TSB have Visa Debit already, and Bank of Ireland will have in the future. A much superior card in my opinion, never had a problem with my Ulster Bank one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Okay, will probably have to consider switching then when I come back.

Not true (or not yet anyway), It's Bank of Ireland that are doing this.
    Actually, it is true. Just no date has been announced. At a guess, I would expect an announcement this year with people being moved over by the end of the year. First Trust (AIB in Northern Ireland) are already on Visa Debit and AIB ROI are preparing for the switch at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

dotsman wrote: »
    No offence, but are you certain it's a visa debit card? Had you specifically requested it? I knew they were working on it, but wasn't expecting it for at least another few months.

Where did you get this information from?

I got a call from AIB today to ask me if everything was OK with my banking. I said that I am moving to Ulster bank because AIB do not do a VISA debit card.

I asked were they planning on introducing it in the future and they said no.

A lot of mis-information I think is going around. I would love to know the real story.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

just spoke to my aib branch and they have no plans to move over to the aib visa card at present, but will do in the next year or two, then everyone will be given a card automatically that has a current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

just spoke to my aib branch and they have no plans to move over to the aib visa card at present, but will do in the next year or two, then everyone will be given a card automatically that has a current account.

I wonder do they actually have plans or are they just saying so to keep customers. I would like to see a delivery raodmap here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I haven't heard what AIB are doing but they have launched MasterCard SecureCode for their Laser/Maestro cards. Although, you still can't use them for anything online that doesn't accept Laser!

I find the whole Maestro thing rather useless.

Given that Permanent TSB, Ulster Bank and now Bank of Ireland all issue Visa Debit, I really don't think there's going to be much point in keeping Laser alive just for AIB, National Irish Bank and a couple of the soon-to-be-merged building societies which hardly have many current accounts anyway!

I would imagine that they'll switch to either Visa Debit or possibly MasterCard debit, which is very popular in other European countries.

Advertisement