Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the easiest way to figure out what is tripping the electrics

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Three times this morning the electrics have tripped in the house. The first time i thought maybe the washing machine caused it. I haven't been able to get it back on since so i'm assuming now the fuse has gone. It happened twice more since so now i'm wondering what else might have caused it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Three times this morning the electrics have tripped in the house. The first time i thought maybe the washing machine caused it. I haven't been able to get it back on since so i'm assuming now the fuse has gone. It happened twice more since so now i'm wondering what else might have caused it.

Is it all the sockets that are tripping? If so, and its the RCD tripping, and it wont re-set, switch off all the socket MCBs after the RCD, and then try re-set it.

If it now resets, switch back on the MCBs one at a time and see does one of them cause the RCD to trip. If so, take note of which one it is if its labelled and come back here with what it is. And leave this one off and everything else on.

This is all assuming the RCD is tripping.

If you cant follow the above, you may need to take a photo of the board and show what is tripping, then it will be easier to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730 wrote: »

Is it all the sockets that are tripping? If so, and its the RCD tripping, and it wont re-set, switch off all the socket MCBs after the RCD, and then try re-set it.

If it now resets, switch back on the MCBs one at a time and see does one of them cause the RCD to trip. If so, take note of which one it is if its labelled and come back here with what it is. And leave this one off and everything else on.

This is all assuming the RCD is tripping.

If you cant follow the above, you may need to take a photo of the board and show what is tripping, then it will be easier to proceed.

Agree with above
    My first instinct is to make sure the immersion is turned off
    Then unplug everything in the house
    It should reset then

• Registered Users Posts: 23 louloubelle

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes could do as meercat suggests also.

Unplug everything, ensure immersion is off. If it resets, plug everything back in with a radio on loud somewhere thats plugged in that you can hear go off if the sockets trip as you are plugging everything back in, so you will know the last item probably caused it.

Can be awkward though to plug out and back in washing machines and dish washers though.

Of if you do as in my previous post, and identify a socket circuit thats causing the RCD to trip, if indeed this is whats tripping, then unplug everything on that circuit and see will it reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 offaly odonohue

Hi there,

I have just encountered this problem.

I have a small water heater that heats the water for my kitchen and bathroom sinks in my bedsit.

I already changed the fuse in plug as thought i may be that, however no joy

It is causing the 'RCD for sockets' (thats how its labelled) to trip on MCB

any help would be much appreciated as bit tight for money at minute

thanks in advance
    N

ps it trips on MCB the second i try to plug it in!

• Advertisement

Hi there,

I have just encountered this problem.

I have a small water heater that heats the water for my kitchen and bathroom sinks in my bedsit.

I already changed the fuse in plug as thought i may be that, however no joy

It is causing the 'RCD for sockets' (thats how its labelled) to trip on MCB

any help would be much appreciated as bit tight for money at minute

thanks in advance
    N

ps it trips on MCB the second i try to plug it in!

i would suspect the element is kaput
    might be better to replace the whole undersink heater
    would your landlord replace it

Not too sure?

Moved into the place from when it was newly renovated bout 2 years ago

Would that be caused by normal 'wear and tear'?

There is an electric shower in bedsit too but its run off another switch!

Any idea what kind money them heater units go for?

Cheers for help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

if the rcd is tripping when the unit is turned on then id say 99% the element shorting

evosteo wrote: »
    if the rcd is tripping when the unit is turned on then id say 99% the element shorting

That mean its bunched??

That mean its bunched??

more than likely

• Advertisement

thanks for the help guys

Advertisement