Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBFM news & pronounciation

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Aaargh..
    They refer to Bearna as Barrnah and An Spidéal as Spidelle..aaargh! You'd think they would know how to pronounce the names of villages in their broadcast catchment area.
    *sombre voice* And now the death notices

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Must be frustrating trying to educate people on how to pronounce something when using text.

Ive no idea what way you're trying to pronounce bearna and spideal (correctly or incorrectly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thought it was BwAWrna nowadays :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Aaargh..
    They refer to Bearna as Barrnah and An Spidéal as Spidelle..aaargh! You'd think they would know how to pronounce the names of villages in their broadcast catchment area.
    You would also think that when you then start a thread on it you would have realised that the word is pronunciation, you drop the second o you decided to throw in there.

I grew up in Barna and nobody in the village itself referred to it as Bearna. It was always Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

snubbleste is clearly a bit of a gaelgeoir.

Barna (nó Bearna as gaeilge) is pronounced the same in both languages- bar-na. It means gap.

Spiddal has been erased from signage, but it is still in everyday use as the name of the place known as Gaeilge as An Spidéal, so I don't see why this bothers you.

Great thread by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

bah, place names are nothing - what's much worse is that they can't seem to go through one newscast without stumbling over one word or the other, and their general pronounciation is quite appalling - or should I say 'appalleen'? They are droppeen 'g's left, right and center...

Very very annoyeen, that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Aaargh..
    I have a friend who worked there and it was affectionately known in the office as Corpse Countdown.

Barna (nó Bearna as gaeilge) is pronounced the same in both languages- bar-na. It means gap.

Spiddal has been erased from signage, but it is still in everyday use as the name of the place known as Gaeilge as An Spidéal, so I don't see why this bothers you.

Great thread by the way.
    I do love the O'Cuiv era policy of promoting the Irish language by pretending that Anglicised placenames don't exist. Always reminds me of those series of photos where one-by-one Stalin had people airbrushed out.

Aaargh..
    They refer to Bearna as Barrnah and An Spidéal as Spidelle..aaargh!

In fairness that's how the vast majority of people pronounce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Drives my friend mad when they say 'Galway Bay FM would like to extend their sympathies to the familes of all the deceased'...as in, they technically stating their intention to extend, but they don't actually do it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Drives my friend mad when they say 'Galway Bay FM would like to extend their sympathies to the familes of all the deceased'...as in, they technically stating their intention to extend, but they don't actually do it...

Your friend is one seriously sad case.

galah wrote: »
    bah, place names are nothing - what's much worse is that they can't seem to go through one newscast without stumbling over one word or the other, and their general pronounciation is quite appalling - or should I say 'appalleen'? They are droppeen 'g's left, right and center...

Very very annoyeen, that.
    Pronunciation!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Your friend is one seriously sad case.

What I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

There's a big difference in pronunciation between the Irish word Bearna and the English word Barna.

Bearna is pronounced - Bjawr-na
    Barna is pronounced - Bar-na

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Seriously lads nobody pronounces Barna as Bearna unless they're related to the poitín man.

Spidéal and Bearna are really more for the people who always speak Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    thought it was BwAWrna nowadays :p
    Nah, more of a Borna methinks ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

My little peeve with GBFM news is the way that, when they read the headlines, they do it in "newspaper-ese" - in other words, they leave out the articles. You don't need to do that on the radio - there's no pressure for space the way there is in a newspaper! I can't listen to it anymore...

Malice wrote: »
    Nah, more of a Borna methinks ;).

Well it is either BwAWrna or Borna, the locals would never say it with an A as in BArna nowadays.

Then again GBFM presenters usually speak bog standard Claregalway or Carnmore english not BwAWrna/Borna english. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

There's a big difference in pronunciation between the Irish word Bearna and the English word Barna.

Bearna is pronounced - Bjawr-na
    Barna is pronounced - Bar-na

Galway Bay FM as far as I know broadcast in English the vast majority of the time, so Bar-na is the correct way to pronounce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aaaaaaand de death notices for Gaaaaaaaaaaaalwaaaaaaaaay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Well now Sponge Bob, the guy who reads the news is from Barna and speaks very eloquently.

Is he begod? Where the fcuk did he pick up that scrofulous "Death Notice" accent from ???? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

GBFM's pronunciation of Tuam is what boils my blood.

CHEWEM.

They must say it 15-20 times per news bulletin.

**** OFF!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Seriously lads nobody pronounces Barna as Bearna unless they're related to the poitín man.
    Spidéal and Bearna are really more for the people who always speak Irish.

My point really is they are reinforcing the incorrect way to refer to a location. They have a duty as a broadcaster to refer to it correctly. Rté always refer to An Spidéal (the An is very important).

Another one I hear occasionally is Ballybain as opposed to Ballybahn but not on Gbfm.

I find the best solution is to never listen to GBFM, makes me want to drill into my brain. Its a terrible radio station with middle of the road, nondescript cheesy music, bad bad bad presenters and then programs about religion. Mass is boring enough without Keith Finnegan redoing the sermon on a Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The way they produce the Atalia in Lough Atalia phonetically wrecks my head. Granted Athawlia/Atawlia is the original Irish pronunciation, but it seems to me that it's the standard pronunciation among English-speaking Galwegians, so there's no excuse for them not knowing how to pronounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Back in the early 90s, the lad who read out the death notices on Clare FM used to say
    "Thanks be to God, tis nobody we know."

Didn't last long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Pronunciation!!!!!

ah, get over it...the verb is 'pronounce', so it's a very easy mistake to make. :p

My point really is they are reinforcing the incorrect way to refer to a location. They have a duty as a broadcaster to refer to it correctly. Rté always refer to An Spidéal (the An is very important).

Another one I hear occasionally is Ballybain as opposed to Ballybahn but not on Gbfm.

But they are not using the incorrect way, they are using the English way of saying it that 90% of people use. I have never heard people in day to day life saying anything but Barna and Spiddal. I dont even know how to pronounce "Bearna".

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    ah, get over it...the verb is 'pronounce', so it's a very easy mistake to make. :p
    More of a lazy mistake really.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement