Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBFM news & pronounciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

well, count yourself lucky we didn't use text speak or some other abomination of language. There! (their?!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I just hate GBFM. They have the most BORING presenters ever born, they have no concept of life outside Galway (way too insular for anyone from anywhere other than Galway to tune in), have a serious lack (absence) of a sense of humour and spend 20 minutes on the Sports news! Snoresville! Switched to TodayFm thank you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I just hate GBFM. They have the most BORING presenters ever born, they have no concept of life outside Galway (way too insular for anyone from anywhere other than Galway to tune in), have a serious lack (absence) of a sense of humour and spend 20 minutes on the Sports news! Snoresville! Switched to TodayFm thank you!

not even Ollie Turner? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

GBFM is for people 500+ years old.
    Truly awful.

CHEWEM...aarrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and spend 20 minutes on the Sports news! Snoresville! Switched to TodayFm thank you!

Some people like to hear the sports news from around the county in fairness and a lot of people listen to hear the local news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Shirley this post is a wind up?

Why would it be a wind-up? :confused:
    And my name's not Shirley!! :D

Some people like to hear the sports news from around the county in fairness and a lot of people listen to hear the local news.

I understand that but maybe they could include some other news as well as local news. And seriously, the sports news is just too long - they tell the sports results, dicuss it, tell more, discuss it, tell a bit more, discuss it - blah blah blah !! :p ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

barryd09 wrote: »
    GBFM's pronunciation of Tuam is what boils my blood.

CHEWEM.

They must say it 15-20 times per news bulletin.

**** OFF!!!!!

I feel an affinity with you barry.

Well you are criticising local radio for covering local news and you have also typed 'snoresville'.

• Advertisement

I only listen to them for the live traffic updates (now there's a good service!) and for some of the local news (the best one yet was a piece about the size of Irish winkles compared to French ones - smaller, I might add - I was in tears laughing ;-))

I think their weekend programme is the worst though - Valerie whatsherface and her awful request show, that other sleepy fella on Sundays, and that squawky dude Saturday nights...good grief.

But thankfully my radio has a 'switch channel' button ;-)

I understand that but maybe they could include some other news as well as local news. And seriously, the sports news is just too long - they tell the sports results, dicuss it, tell more, discuss it, tell a bit more, discuss it - blah blah blah !! :p ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

GBFM is what it is, a local radio station. For the record I dont listen to it very much myself. If I want national and international news and discussion I listen to Newstalk and if I want music I usually listen to i102-104 or spin sw.

But if I want to hear a local match, match report, local results or hear local news etc I will listen to GBFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

galah wrote: »
    I only listen to them for the live traffic updates (now there's a good service!) and for some of the local news (the best one yet was a piece about the size of Irish winkles compared to French ones - smaller, I might add - I was in tears laughing ;-))

I think their weekend programme is the worst though - Valerie whatsherface and her awful request show, that other sleepy fella on Sundays, and that squawky dude Saturday nights...good grief.

I would rather be tortured in Guantanamo than listen to her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I dont even know how to pronounce "Bearna".

Imagine a Limerick knacker saying it. I think it's something like that.

I always used to pronounce it - be-yar-na

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

But they are not using the incorrect way, they are using the English way of saying it that 90% of people use. I have never heard people in day to day life saying anything but Barna and Spiddal. I dont even know how to pronounce "Bearna".

I don't think a few of these points are coming across very clearly on here.

I think the point is they pronounce "Spidéal" (in the Irish way without the "An"). They tend to say Sped-dale

It should either be "Spiddal" or "An Spidéal". As far as I know...this is what he means and I agree with him.

As for Barna (English) vs Bearna (Gaeilge)....they are prounced the same in both languages as someone else has pointed out, so in this case it doesn't matter. The English name most likely came from the Irish term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nelephant

The funniest part of GBFM are the reports from the traffic guy - he gets so irate when listeners don't follow his advice and contribute to traffic jams!! Think he moonlights as traffic expert in City Council also???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

galah wrote: »

You think that's bad?

This gives me flashbacks to ...

The Looooooooove Hour

Anyone else remember that? Your one with her super sexy voice and the cheesy tunes? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

ethernet wrote: »
    You think that's bad?

This gives me flashbacks to ...

The Looooooooove Hour

Anyone else remember that? Your one with her super sexy voice and the cheesy tunes? :pac:

LOL, yeah... Corrina Gavin I think she was?.... "and this one goes out to all those MIL (madly in love :confused:) out there!"

Awful station. Stuck in a timewarp. Tune in today and it sounds exactly the same as it did in 1990. Some might say that's consistency!

I used to like Jimmy Norman in the mornings years ago, he's definitely their strongest presenter in a pretty weak line up, but these days he sounds increasingly in love with himself and is constantly preaching about bad driving, foglights, bad parking... yawn. Give it a rest Jim. And the love-in he has with his boss Finnegan just after 9 is just cringe worthy in the extreme. Alan Partridge-esque.

The traffic guy Jon Richards has been doing that for donkeys years in fairness to him on his big motorbike, rail hail or snow. I do wonder about the value of "traffic reports" though, but that goes for the pointless AA Roadwatch ones on the national stations more so than Jon Richards... at least he's seeing it first hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

gandroid wrote: »
    As for Barna (English) vs Bearna (Gaeilge)....they are prounced the same in both languages as someone else has pointed out

No. They most certainly are NOT pronounced the same, as already pointed out:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73358079&postcount=15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JoeA3 wrote: »
    LOL, yeah... Corrina Gavin I think she was?.... "and this one goes out to all those MIL (madly in love :confused:) out there!"

Awful station. Stuck in a timewarp. Tune in today and it sounds exactly the same as it did in 1990. Some might say that's consistency!

I used to like Jimmy Norman in the mornings years ago, he's definitely their strongest presenter in a pretty weak line up, but these days he sounds increasingly in love with himself and is constantly preaching about bad driving, foglights, bad parking... yawn. Give it a rest Jim. And the love-in he has with his boss Finnegan just after 9 is just cringe worthy in the extreme. Alan Partridge-esque.

The traffic guy Jon Richards has been doing that for donkeys years in fairness to him on his big motorbike, rail hail or snow. I do wonder about the value of "traffic reports" though, but that goes for the pointless AA Roadwatch ones on the national stations more so than Jon Richards... at least he's seeing it first hand!
    I used to have to listen to him every morning because all the auld ladies at work can't have a normal channel on, god i HATE him with a passion. Radio bingo is the height of his ability :D

hehe, that Radio Bingo is something...:rolleyes:

Told hubby that the day he hears a request for some random crappity piece of music in my name on that show, he is to shoot me...'we would like to hear 'Aisle of peas' for auntie galah, thank you Valerie, keep up the fantastic work, all the childer and the two cats'. *shudder*

but on the topic of pronUnciation again: why do they pronounce Dáil always like doyle? I'm not a gaeilgor, not even Irish, but I'd like to think that if you work in an Irish radio station that also covers a large part of the gaeltacht, you'd know how to pronounce the most basic, most commonly used Irish words?

Well you are criticising local radio for covering local news and you have also typed 'snoresville'.

Actually, if you read my posts, you'll see I'm criticising them for covering ONLY local news. And "snoresville" is my way of saying it bores me to tears! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Bring back JFK.

He personally knew EVERYONE in Galway,didnt he?

That's a bit like saying Galway is pronounced the same by people in Cork as it is by people in Galway.

Bearna is pronounced - Bjawr-na

Does anyone even know how to pronounce that?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Bee-yaw-r-na

Bee-yaw-r-na

S-e-a-f-ó-i-d! :D

Yes you pointed it out but you are wrong.

'ea' is a vowel in gaeilge, and is pronounced as 'ah'. There are no fadas in the name 'Bearna' to indicate any elongation, as you seem to be doing with the 'a'.

Barna- pronounced Bar-na. Bar as in public house or iron bar. Na as in Na Fianna.

Bearna- gaeilge, meaning gap. Pronounced exactly the same way as the anglicised version, Barna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Malice wrote: »
    Nah, more of a Borna methinks ;).
    always knew you were d4 at heart mal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement