Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBFM news & pronounciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

antoobrien wrote: »
    always knew you were d4 at heart mal
    Me, Torquin and Fiochra are loike, totally, not amused roysh! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Yes you pointed it out but you are wrong.

'ea' is a vowel in gaeilge, and is pronounced as 'ah'. There are no fadas in the name 'Bearna' to indicate any elongation, as you seem to be doing with the 'a'.

Barna- pronounced Bar-na. Bar as in public house or iron bar. Na as in Na Fianna.
    Bearna- gaeilge, meaning gap. Pronounced exactly the same way as the anglicised version, Barna.
    You clearly do not know what you are talking about in this instance.
    There are many exceptions to the pronunciation rule you mention:

teacht
    fearr
    bearna

Ask any native Irish speaker from Cois Fharraige, of native Irish ancestry on both sides of the parental line (going back a few generations), how to pronounce the following sentence

Tá bearna sa gclaí
    and you will find that not one of them will pronounce bearna as "bar-na".

We are not talking here about how Americans, nor Europeans, nor Irish with poor pronounciation of Irish might pronounce the word. Scríobh chomh caighdeánach agus is féidir agus labhair chomh canúnach agus is féidir is the rule for Gaeilge. In the Cois Fharraige canúint, where Bearna lies or used to lie, the EA in Bearna is pronounced like an á. On Galway Bay FM, therefore, the proper pronunciation of the Irish word Bearna is as I've stated.
    Now you can dispute that all you like, but there above are the facts and suggest you spend a good deal more time listening to good speakers of Irish from your Gaeltacht before continuing this discussion with me and until then I won't waste my time trying to set you straight on the matter.

By the way, you are also wrong on your pronunciation of Na as in Na Fianna. It is not pronounced as ea, but as a guta neodrach, more like the "u"-sound in the word snuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In Cois Fharraige it is promounce like Bjawr-Nuh .

Thats why the posh people say something like Bwarna not Borna Malice....see to that wax man :)

Only plebs say Baa ( as in sheep) Barna <sniffs>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

In the Cois Fharraige canúint, where Bearna lies or used to lie, the EA in Bearna is pronounced like an á.

"yá", surely, in this case? As in 'byárnuh' as opposed to 'bárnuh'?

Arnó nach b'shin é dúras a chuint :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Yes you pointed it out but you are wrong.

'ea' is a vowel in gaeilge, and is pronounced as 'ah'. There are no fadas in the name 'Bearna' to indicate any elongation, as you seem to be doing with the 'a'.

Barna- pronounced Bar-na. Bar as in public house or iron bar. Na as in Na Fianna.

Bearna- gaeilge, meaning gap. Pronounced exactly the same way as the anglicised version, Barna.

It's not pronounced exactly the same way. I'm a native speaker, raised in Na Doireadh near Ros-a-Mhíl. My parents are both native speakers, one from Ros-a-Mhíl and one from Inis Mór; so there's a long line of unbroken native speakers there going back god knows how long.

Barna is pronounced how it's spelled.

Bearna is pronounced "byor-na". Doubleglaze's post says it all.

EDIT: Read back over that after I posted it, sounded very snobbyish; apologies for that!

Ficheall wrote: »
    "yá", surely, in this case? As in 'byárnuh' as opposed to 'bárnuh'?

Yes. Agreed. It is pronounced "yá" in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

snubbleste wrote: »
    :D

The word itself (gap as Bearla) definitely has a slightly different pronunciation in Munster/Leinster/Ulster Irish.
    Now in RTE for example, the announcers may be from anywhere, so you might get 'RóisÃ*n Dove' from one and 'Rosh-in Doo' from another for the same place in Galway.
    If you have parents from two different dialect reigions or go to school in multiple reigions, you may have a hybrid Irish dialect.

What is the standardised one? I thought that was Munster? A lot of people I know have a 'mixed' accent, despite being 3rd gen Galway etc

There is no national standardised accent, as of yet. Each local dialect is the correct pronunciation standard for that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sheesh, if you lot cannot agree, what hope is there for the rest of us.

I'm sticking to the Anglicized version, have absolutely no idea how the weird letter combos I'm seeing here are supposed to sound!

There is no national standardised accent, as of yet. Each local dialect is the correct pronunciation standard for that area.

that's what I thought, yet most 'language tape' type thing seems to be Munster (bar the excellent Cois Farraige one by I think O'Flaherty?).
    Also we all definitely do not pronounce Barna the same way in ENGLISH in this country. Think of Kerry vs Dub vs Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Maybe we should all just listen to nuacht tg4 at 7 to hear how different each reporter is. There are very few comments on here that are outright wrong, it comes down to what one is used to hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

inisboffin wrote: »
    'RóisÃ*n Dove'

How the hell do you pronounce that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

"Drink!"

>_>

'RóisÃ*n Dove'

r a-squiggly line three I s a-squiggly line asterisk n dove

obviously!

unless formatting came out weird on my phone?

'RóisÃ*n Dove'

r a-squiggly line three I s a-squiggly line asterisk n dove

obviously!

unless formatting came out weird on my phone?

Ha ha! My phone seems to translate fadas to Klingon! I meant 'Ro-sheen'!

This is a time when IPA would come in handy (both the Phonetic Alphabet AND the Pale Ale I'm thinking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

antoobrien wrote: »
    Maybe we should all just listen to nuacht tg4 at 7 to hear how different each reporter is. There are very few comments on here that are outright wrong, it comes down to what one is used to hearing

well, I would, if I could get TG4 (we can pretty much see the station from our house, and still can't get the channel!). :p Ts!

galah wrote: »
    well, I would, if I could get TG4 (we can pretty much see the station from our house, and still can't get the channel!). :p Ts!
    That means you are still pointing a VHF aerial at Maghera for RTE1 and 2 only. Most people around there got a UHF aerial 15 years ago and pointed it at Casla which transmitter even supplies digital HD telly nowadays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Malice wrote: »
    Nah, more of a Borna methinks ;).

Borna symbolising the new and trendy village. Bearna has a touch of sheep farmer about it.

• Advertisement

barryd09 wrote: »
    GBFM is for people 500+ years old.
    Truly awful.

CHEWEM...aarrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no, its for local Galwegians who want local information.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    no, its for local Galwegians who want local information.

Not in Connemara it isn't. We have "An Radio" which is far more professional with quality presenters.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not in Connemara it isn't. We have "An Radio" which is far more professional with quality presenters.

Rna G is just for the county while GBFM is for the citz and countz. you are not enamoured with Keith finnegan I take it. Teresa Mannion and Bernadette Prendergast are okay

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Rna G is just for the county while GBFM is for the citz and countz. you are not enamoured with Keith finnegan I take it. Teresa Mannion and Bernadette Prendergast are okay

I think Prendergast is awful myself...the tone of her voice is painful...and she elongates cerain words for no reason... "in Gal - waaayyyyy".

GBFM is but a serial purveryor of execrable enunciations and of monotonic jingles mixed too high. That sonic mush is deliberately interspersed with dirge like music that was not even popular the first time round in the 1960s ......and that is before they put on the standard retard voice for the funerals. It is fundamentally unlistenable to if one has an IQ anywhere over ambient room temperature as measured in C's not F's.

I don't even know who these presenters are because I simply cannot listen to them. I only ever catch fragments of it when I miss Classic Fm or RnaG on either side of it while scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's the jingles that make me :mad:

Good god but they are atrocious...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

mars bar wrote: »
    It's the jingles that make me :mad:

Good god but they are atrocious...

Playing one great song after another.... your music, your station :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

gandroid wrote: »
    I think Prendergast is awful myself...the tone of her voice is painful...and she elongates cerain words for no reason... "in Gal - waaayyyyy".

Is that the wan who says 'You're up to dayy-ithhh with galwaybay fm'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

6 Boards pages on how to pronounce Barna :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

schween wrote: »
    6 Boards pages on how to pronounce Barna :eek:

3 if you know how to use boards properly. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement