Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBFM news & pronounciation

Options
124»

Comments

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ficheall wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »
    'RóisÃ*n Dove'

How the hell do you pronounce that?

r a-squiggly line three I s a-squiggly line asterisk n dove

obviously!

unless formatting came out weird on my phone?

Ha ha! My phone seems to translate fadas to Klingon! I meant 'Ro-sheen'!

This is a time when IPA would come in handy (both the Phonetic Alphabet AND the Pale Ale I'm thinking!)

Hence my confusion at trying to pronounce it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Playing one great song after another.... your music, your station :D

These beasts are international: radio stations at home use the same phrases! It really freaked me the first day I heard Irish radio with 'em on it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

schween wrote: »
    6 Boards pages on how to pronounce Barna :eek:
    Angels dancing on a pinhead. I'm sure that there's some kind of grant aided community forum style project we can put this under.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Was off for the week and had GBFM on while I was painting and gardening and noticed they play the same song list every day, no change and the djs get equally excited over each song that they have already played hundreds of times prior to this. It was quite shocking; the same Abba songs, the same Rod Stewart songs and Human by The Killers seems to be locked in every day of the wee. It was quite scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dec25532 wrote: »
    Was off for the week and had GBFM on while I was painting and gardening and noticed they play the same song list every day, no change and the djs get equally excited over each song that they have already played hundreds of times prior to this. It was quite shocking; the same Abba songs, the same Rod Stewart songs and Human by The Killers seems to be locked in every day of the wee. It was quite scary.

Yep, Elton John and Kiki Dee's "Don't go Breaking My Heart" is another one of their favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was in a pub today where in the background GBFM seemingly tried to get excited about Michealeen D being president and couldn't. Everything they did sounded really really REALLY flat.

In fact it sounded like the funeral fella most of the time. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do you pronounce Doughiska/Deoch Uisce?
    I've always said it the second way with added guttural tones.
    However, I'm hearing Doo-iskah more and more, example from non-local politicians being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

dec25532 wrote: »

I requested some Rush on some show some years ago, they played The power of love by Jennifer Rush....:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

There was someone reading the headlines one day and they were going on about child abuse. Pronounced "abuse" as "aboose". I nearly started laughing, not the kind of story you want to laugh at!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Before I moved to Galway I lived in Co Tipperary. Tipperary FM were worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

"We Built This City On Rock & Roll" is such a pile of manure.

It is a song that sums up GBFM because they play it every hour and twice an hour on Bank Holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ErnieBert wrote: »
    "We Built This City On Rock & Roll" is such a pile of manure.

It is a song that sums up GBFM because they play it every hour and twice an hour on Bank Holiday weekends.

I have a special fondnessfor the sheer *awfulness* of that song. Thing is, it's not played for cheese factor on GBFM!

Wasn't it voted 'worst song ever' on a major poll? Lol!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Mars Bar wrote: »
    3 if you know how to use boards properly. ;)

I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't get it.
    Go here, scroll down to the Thread Display Options section and set Number of Posts to Show Per Page to the max of 40. Then this thread will magically become 3 pages long (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you pronounce Doughiska/Deoch Uisce?
    I've always said it the second way with added guttural tones.
    However, I'm hearing Doo-iskah more and more, example from non-local politicians being interviewed.

that doo iskah crap is driving me half cracked (I'm already 3/4s of the way there). Makes me wonder of lough corrib will start being called loo geeh corrib or something.

The douch/dough is kinda sharp and should be said quickly in the same way as saying lough. Swap in a d for the l and you have it.

dyuk-iskha is the closest I can put it.

We should start correcting people on it, insult them if we have to.

Malice wrote: »
    Go here, scroll down to the Thread Display Options section and set Number of Posts to Show Per Page to the max of 40. Then this thread will magically become 3 pages long (for now).

Oh, that was my first thought but then I saw the thanks and assumed it was some inside joke / knowledge.

Disappointing.

antoobrien wrote: »
    We should start correcting people on it, insult them if we have to.

They're all foreigners or travellers out there so you can't really blame them for mispronunciation.

They're all foreigners or travellers out there so you can't really blame them for mispronunciation.

I know a few settled people, including some who've lived in the area for 20 years, who might disagree with you there.

I've also noticed a wide variation in the way Irish people people pronounce the name of the area, and some who believe it should be something similar but beginning with "t" not "d".

How on earth are us foreigners supposed to know how to pronounce stuff if he cannot all agree!

JustMary wrote: »
    I've also noticed a wide variation in the way Irish people people pronounce the name of the area, and some who believe it should be something similar but beginning with "t" not "d".

How on earth are us foreigners supposed to know how to pronounce stuff if he cannot all agree!

In fairness the d and t does sound similar when said snappily enough.

But take it from me (I spent enough time cycling through the place to go training) it's said with a d

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

gandroid wrote: »
    I think Prendergast is awful myself...the tone of her voice is painful...and she elongates cerain words for no reason... "in Gal - waaayyyyy".

Her worst has to be 'Cannabis ErBeh' Why drop the 'h'. She's supposed to lecture in journalism in NUIG.. that says it all.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    In fairness the d and t does sound similar when said snappily enough.

But take it from me (I spent enough time cycling through the place to go training) it's said with a d

Hmm, opinions of someone who's lived there for 20 years vs someone who's cycled through twice a day for a few years .... ;)

Like I said, some folks believe that the very word is wrong, something to do with it should not be "black water" but something else similar. My ear's not well enough tuned to the nuances of the language to work out what the story is. But these are the folks who can tell me that this estate used to be called "the moneen" and that one is called WHATEVER cos it was someone's large field.

JustMary wrote: »
    Hmm, opinions of someone who's lived there for 20 years vs someone who's cycled through twice a day for a few years .... ;)

In fairness my family home is maybe a mile away (for about 25 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I have to see your GBFM and raise you i102-i104. Truly the nearest to hell I've been is stuck in a bus listening to that for 3 hours. Dead air, 'craaaaazy' out there chat from presenters about the latest thing some guy did and truly the worst music selection, they don't even play cheese.

Makes me nostalgic for 'Gaaalwaaay Baaay EFF-EMM would like to sympathise with the faaaamilies and and friends of those deceased, andnowtheweatherbroughttoyoubychampionsports!!!!'

This is a newer thread, your search skills are rusty.

♫ GalwayBayFM would like to sympathise with the families of the deceased ♪♪

Yes you pointed it out but you are wrong.
    'ea' is a vowel in gaeilge, and is pronounced as 'ah'. There are no fadas in the name 'Bearna' to indicate any elongation, as you seem to be doing with the 'a'.
    Barna- pronounced Bar-na. Bar as in public house or iron bar. Na as in Na Fianna.
    Bearna- gaeilge, meaning gap. Pronounced exactly the same way as the anglicised version, Barna.
    I disagree.
    As gaeilge you'd say that a car crashed i mBearna aréir. You'd never hear tharla sé i Barna. You'd also never hear as far east as Barna, it'd be chomh soir le Bearna.
    Listen to RnaG (local radio for local folk) for the correct version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This thread is oooooold as feck. (Not as old as the previous one admittedly, but still...) Start a new one if you wish. We don't take kindly to zombies around here...

Stihl%20Chainsaw%20MS271.jpg

Vrrrroooom vrooooom....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement