Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts & Strength training

• 18-07-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first time posting in the martial Arts section.

I'm technically an oul-fella, with poor cardio & only recently took up kick boxing, really enjoying it

Just wondering what kind of strength training experienced martial artist's do?

I have been doing stronglifts strength training3 times a week for the last 8months, which consists of 2 different routines, these are althernated

work out A - squats, overhead press, deadlifts
    work out B - squats, bench press, bent over rows

I'm thinking of cutting the strength training down to twice week, and continue to do kickboxing twice a week, and add an extra day of cardio to help bring overall fitness levels up, or perhaps change my routine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Hi all, first time posting in the martial Arts section.

I'm technically an oul-fella, with poor cardio & only recently took up kick boxing, really enjoying it

Just wondering what kind of strength training experienced martial artist's do?

I have been doing stronglifts strength training3 times a week for the last 8months, which consists of 2 different routines, these are althernated

work out A - squats, overhead press, deadlifts
    work out B - squats, bench press, bent over rows

I'm thinking of cutting the strength training down to twice week, and continue to do kickboxing twice a week, and add an extra day of cardio to help bring overall fitness levels up, or perhaps change my routine
    I do a bit of weight trianing myself, just the bench, curls for the biceps and a triceps excercise, 3 times a week. Just to look after the arms and chest. Also kick and punch the bags about twice a week for about an hour. Don't think strength training is really neccessary for striking martial arts. Maybe it helps in grappling such as BJJ etc

If it's a lifetime habit then keep the weights up, it will do you no harm. My two cents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I found Starting Strength really helped me when I started in judo. I was probably weaker than average and getting a bit more lifting ability helped me make it through the classes without getting too banjaxed.

The returns were a bit diminishing though and after a while I don't think it was making much difference. This could also have been because I was starting to develop some actual judo technique and didn't need to muscle through things as much any more.

One thing that did make a big difference though was when I started doing power cleans. I think they helped quite directly with a few techniques.

The problem with Starting Strength is that you spend so much time doing big squats and deadlifts, which can leave you too knackered to do your actual MA training. I found myself dropping down to two sessions a week, but then, of course, YNDTP as Rippto would put it.

You might also be interested in looking at complexes, like Cosgrove's Evil 8. these help you work on outputting a lot of effort over a short period of time, and are great for training for rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My thoughts for S&C are
    If your instructor has you do some in class become comfortable with the excercise and practice yourself

If you get out of breath in class work on aerobic fitness

If you have a problem that is noticable in class work on it. For example my instructors have mentioned several times that my lats don't engage properly when I throw a punch so I started doing a couple of pullups to get used to engaging my lats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

thanks guys.

the weight lifting has been big a hobbie for the last year or so, got my self up decent body weight and strength level (was in terrible shape from a desk job last 6years & sedentary lifestyle)

aiming to maintain my current weight/strength while building up a good level of general fitness 7 agility

found this article & a few others on complexes , looks quite interesting

Ill check out that other tread too

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement