Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone like riding on the motorway ??

• 18-07-2011 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

When I'm heading from Dublin to say, Sligo, I always take the old road thru Maynooth etc as far as Kinnegad instead of the motorway. After Kinnegad you have to join the N4 dual carraige way. Although a motorway is obvioulsy quicker, I find riding on them a bit of a bore compared to the lesser roads.

So folks, does anyone prefer the motorway/dual carraigeway because of getting higher revs up and not worrying about penalty points etc or are you like me and find the motorway/dual carraigeway a bit bland and boring ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Definitely boring. But if you don't have much time they're good. Some have woeful crosswinds that make them uncomfortable too.
    The old roads are nicer, and its more interesting to go through a town every 15 miles or so to break the monotony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Definitely boring. But if you don't have much time they're good. Some have woeful crosswinds that make them uncomfortable too.
    The old roads are nicer, and its more interesting to go through a town every 15 miles or so to break the monotony.
    Glad you mentioned the crosswinds on a motorway, I thought that maybe it was just myself. The crosswinds can be a distraction alright, in particuliar traveling down through the midlands where it's quite flat in stretches. And I also agree about going through the towns and villages, breaks the monotony.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ugh I hate motorways. I'd much rather take 50% longer to get there but enjoy the journey on the backroads. Depends what bike you are on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Motorways=recipe for squared off tyres. Me no likey:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

+1, my chicken strips are big enough already so I need corners:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah very boring and the cross winds can be very annoying. A means to an end unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

+1 I make a point of avoiding motorways when it is feasible just for this reason.

I used to be a regular commuter to Dundalk from Dublin and so the M1 was a regular haunt. God that road is boring but for the sweep down to the Boyne valley bridge and back up the hill (especially at night).

I got some look from the mechanic when it came time to replace the back tire. I also wouldn't like to think about the contact patch with the road at certain lean angles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I prefer motorways because im a **** bike driver and still brick myself when leaning the bike over, lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i try avoid motorways, even on a restricted bike i get bored and get a bit heavy handed with the trottle, i used to drive the naked cb400SF on motorways and i cant believe the difference with a fully faired bike, they dont catch you half as bad if your tucked in a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

Yeah I'm not a fan of driving on the motorways but if I'm in a hurry I'll take the motorway but as said by other posters it's incredibly boring!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Depends on the journey. Some old N roads are not the best.

My main reason for avoiding them is the cross wind. Some of the new motorways are far to exposed. You can be driving along in clam conditions and then get badly caught in a cross wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depends on the journey. Some old N roads are not the best.

My main reason for avoiding them is the cross wind. Some of the new motorways are far to exposed. You can be driving along in clam conditions and then get badly caught in a cross wind.

I've been driving regularly on motorways for three years now and I have never been hit with a bad enough crosswind to complain about it(outside of gale force conditions). The people I see getting battered around are the people with gear like a sail.

Parts of the M3 and M11 have got me. No sail though :-)

The M2 is really bad too. I took the old N2 a few times when its really windy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Am doing 40+km on the M50 each way at the moment and kinda getting to like it. There's just enough trafic for it to be interesting but it's still light enough that you can work your way through it. Amazing how much more I'm getting to a tank: 260+km instead of 180km when I was doing all city driving. 05 SV650S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Have a 30km commute each day and a good 95% is motorway. Hate them and I try to go the back roads when I have time.

Hate changing a tyre coz it's squared off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I hate cross winds on a motorway as well. As others said, motorway riding is a necessity at times but I try to avoid when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Motorway isn't all that boring, I keep busy weaving lane to lane between cars... :D

No, not recommended really. I do 50% of my commute on M1 because the old N1 (R132) is in bits around Balbriggan, the surface is so bad it's really dangerous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

goodlad wrote: »
    I prefer motorways because im a **** bike driver and still brick myself when leaning the bike over, lol :o

Me too!! I'm afraid the rear tyre will loose grip when I'm going around a right bend.

Someone should organise bike runs for newbies!! :D

If these new tolls come in it'll be another reason to avoid them.

• Advertisement

Me too!! I'm afraid the rear tyre will loose grip when I'm going around a right bend.

Someone should organise bike runs for newbies!! :D

I'll join ya's.

Advertisement