Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers Market Donegal Town to close

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

What possible reason is there for closing a fortnightly market which attracts tourists and supports small business. I would have thought that it would make sense for local business to capatalize on having a market in the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cos its not farmers market (never was really) and some local business has complained that they are just reselling stuff and its not local produce

tbh i have bought so little on it in the last 6 months wheras before i would come away with reasonably priced veg, cheese, bread etc etc
    not sure whats changed but wouldnt be any loss to me if it closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I agree, it was never really a farmer's market...any market where you can buy mass produced jumpers, touristy nicknacks & garden furniture doesn't qualify as a farmer's market in my book. Honestly I haven't made a point of going for well over a year and I don't think I've missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

One of the sellers is from down my way and he dose make his own jumpers, scarves and hats he would have worked in one of the knitwear factory's in Kilcar and has one of the loom machines in his garage dont know about the rest TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Last (an first) time I bought something there was a couple of weeks ago, some cheese from the guy who has the deli around the corner... went to the shop only to be re-directed back to the diamond; seemed a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Firblog wrote: »
    Last (an first) time I bought something there was a couple of weeks ago, some cheese from the guy who has the deli around the corner... went to the shop only to be re-directed back to the diamond; seemed a bit mad

unfortunately (for you) the cheese was on the market and not in the shop

• Advertisement
Advertisement