Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C. Business advice

• 18-07-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Going into 6th year this year and am looking for an A1/A2 in Higher Level Business. I managed an A1 (93%) in the Summer Test and am hoping to maintain this grade. I am quite good at business and do 2 business subjects (Business and Economics). Basically I set up this thread to get advice on the exam, the course and the important aspects of the course.
    We've finished units 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and have done 2 chapters out of Unit 5 (Getting Started in Business and Identifying Business Ideas).

So if anyone has any advice r.e. Leaving Cert Business (revision books, study, notes etc). Please post them here!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Anyone?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

do all the papers with the marking schemes , learn the book, the less stress is the best revision book:)

Sunny!! wrote: »
    do all the papers with the marking schemes , learn the book, the less stress is the best revision book:)
    Thanks!. Do you think it would be advisable to dismiss unit 1 and focus on 2-7 instead?. I'm quite strong at the Management units 3-5 and Enterprise (unit 2) is very easy and if i'm not mistaken Units 6 + 7 (Domestic and International) overlap quite a lot with Economics?. Do you think you would be safe with learning all the previous exam questions off by heart?, would that cover me for the exam?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Thanks!. Do you think it would be advisable to dismiss unit 1 and focus on 2-7 instead?. I'm quite strong at the Management units 3-5 and Enterprise (unit 2) is very easy and if i'm not mistaken Units 6 + & (Domestic and International) overlap quite a lot with Economics?. Do you think you would be safe with learning all the previous exam questions off by heart?, would that cover me for the exam?.

I left out Unit 1 and didn't feel I was at any major disadvantage in the exam!

In the mocks I answered Q3 (unit 7) rather than Q1 (unit 1) and got on really well, even though we didn't have Unit 7 covered by then!

I hated unit 1 with a passion!

I left out Unit 1 and didn't feel I was at any major disadvantage in the exam!

In the mocks I answered Q3 (unit 7) rather than Q1 (unit 1) and got on really well, even though we didn't have Unit 7 covered by then!

I hated unit 1 with a passion!
    Yeah I get what your saying!. Well I don't hate it persay and find it interesting enough, but i'm thinking along the terms of which units can I best maximise my chances of an A grade!. How did you get on in your mock overall?. Do the mocks be similar enough to previous L.C. Exams?

• Advertisement

Thanks!. Do you think it would be advisable to dismiss unit 1 and focus on 2-7 instead?. I'm quite strong at the Management units 3-5 and Enterprise (unit 2) is very easy and if i'm not mistaken Units 6 + 7 (Domestic and International) overlap quite a lot with Economics?. Do you think you would be safe with learning all the previous exam questions off by heart?, would that cover me for the exam?.

yes grand to leave out unit 1, i didnt but if you learned the rest your grand, maybe with the short q's it might be an issue but more than likely youd still get 8/10, learn off all the short questions well, i think exam papers and marking schemes are so important in business

Yeah I get what your saying!. Well I don't hate it persay and find it interesting enough, but i'm thinking along the terms of which units can I best maximise my chances of an A grade!. How did you get on in your mock overall?. Do the mocks be similar enough to previous L.C. Exams?

I got 83% with minimal study in the mocks. The mock was fair enough, though the marking scheme wasn't really true to the real thing (looking for 5 points at 4 marks each for a 20 mark question rather than 4 at 5 marks and little stuff like that).

yes grand to leave out unit 1, i didnt but if you learned the rest your grand, maybe with the short q's it might be an issue but more than likely youd still get 8/10, learn off all the short questions well, i think exam papers and marking schemes are so important in business
    Thanks very much for the reply!. Do you mind me asking how did you get on in your exam?. Like in comparison to your mocks in Business?

it depends on the mock company.... our short questions were horrible but the rest was very good. I got a c3 in the mock, which i was shocked with, definetly done better in the real thing

I got 83% with minimal study in the mocks. The mock was fair enough, though the marking scheme wasn't really true to the real thing (looking for 5 points at 4 marks each for a 20 mark question rather than 4 at 5 marks and little stuff like that).
    Woah :O, well done you!. We have done Units 1,2,3,4,7 and 2 chapters out of Unit 5. The teacher hopes to finish the course before the Christmas Holidays. Do you find the ABQ'S hard?. Any advice on how to perform my best with the long questions?

• Advertisement

it depends on the mock company.... our short questions were horrible but the rest was very good. I got a c3 in the mock, which i was shocked with, definetly done better in the real thing
    Well done! Do you think there would be any sections that would be a guaranteed for next year?. Or any I could leave out?

Woah :O, well done you!. We have done Units 1,2,3,4,7 and 2 chapters out of Unit 5. The teacher hopes to finish the course before the Christmas Holidays. Do you find the ABQ'S hard?. Any advice on how to perform my best with the long questions?

ABQs are easy imo. Once you know your stuff and kind find a relevant link in the text you're well on your way to full marks!

Well done! Do you think there would be any sections that would be a guaranteed for next year?. Or any I could leave out?

abqs are my favouite:D

em, not sure about guaranteed sections
    eu
    marketing
    management

That's good! They were the only section of the course I was kind of worrying about!. I think out of boredom i'm going to make out good notes for Unit 3 tomorrow using the marking schemes so I will have them for next year for revision!

That's good! They were the only section of the course I was kind of worrying about!. I think out of boredom i'm going to make out good notes for Unit 3 tomorrow using the marking schemes so I will have them for next year for revision!

if your looking for an A1 theres not much one should let out. Constantly do little bits in business and it all adds up, know things like break even charts, finance, insurance, the ratios aswell

Thanks for the advice!. Yeah you basically have to know all the course to get the A I think. I have a good head for Business and am willing to learn and with a good teacher I hope I can achieve the A! Any other tips?

Thanks for the advice!. Yeah you basically have to know all the course to get the A I think. I have a good head for Business and am willing to learn and with a good teacher I hope I can achieve the A! Any other tips?

constant little bits of work, everynight or every second night, and just enjoy it if you can:) business is very interesting and relevant

constant little bits of work, everynight or every second night, and just enjoy it if you can:) business is very interesting and relevant
    I do agree it's very interesting and relevant, I think the Management Chapters really do give you a huge insight in how a Manager has to conduct work on a daily basis, my favourite Chapter would be HRM I would be interested in Pursuing a career in HR after school I think!

I do agree it's very interesting and relevant, I think the Management Chapters really do give you a huge insight in how a Manager has to conduct work on a daily basis, my favourite Chapter would be HRM I would be interested in Pursuing a career in HR after school I think!

i'm more of a science person and still find it very interesting and rewarding, its everyday life really, i just dot like laws. but you cnt like everything:)

i'm more of a science person and still find it very interesting and rewarding, its everyday life really, i just dot like laws. but you cnt like everything:)
    Yeah the Laws are kind of tedious I suppose and also you know when you have to comment on the trends of the ratios for the different groups in Business (shareholders, employees etc.) they're the only parts of the course that are hard to like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i think after each chapter do up some notes on it and its main points
    do all the exam papers as well
    and dont even go near the revise wise revision book, it's a useless waste of a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

i think after each chapter do up some notes on it and its main points
    do all the exam papers as well
    and dont even go near the revise wise revision book, it's a useless waste of a tenner

I know! It's content is basically the textbook "Business Today" without the detail and explanations needed for Higher Level. The only good thing in it is the sample answer at the end of each chapter.... but you can get those on e-xamit.ie

Does anyone else find all the older Business papers much more awkward and difficult than the ones since about 2003/4? I also noticed that with some other subjects (e.g Religion, German etc.) except for Geography which seems to be getting less and less predictable every year.

I don't think the Business paper is predictable at all because I mean they asked the a very similar question two years in a row before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

have you use any business workbook for studying or in class ?

angela1711 wrote: »
    have you use any business workbook for studying or in class ?

yes, we done 'the business' workbook after we completed each chapter for a couple of nights as part of homework

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

ok i was thinking about getting them too, did you find them useful ?

angela1711 wrote: »
    ok i was thinking about getting them too, did you find them useful ?

em, it was an awful lot of work, but the more practice the better:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

When you're doing the Exam, just remember S E E

State, Explain, Example.

This applies to all long Questions, and to the ABQ.

For example,
    Examine two Styles of Management
    Two Styles of Management are Autocratic and Laissez-Faire.

Autocratic is.......

Laissez-Fair is.....

An example of Autocratic is.....

This is what examiners are looking for in the answers, and by using this i got an A1 in HL Business.

Another thing I would say to you is with regards to answer length, devide the number of marks available by 5, and add 1. This is the rough number of points you need to give in your answer. So for a 20 mark question, you'd need 5 points to get full mark (20/5 = 4 + 1 = 5)

Can't think of anything else exam structure related but if anything does come to mind I'll come back and let you know.

Advertisement