Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding prospective wrist tattoo

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, did a quick search and didn't see anything related to this, so sorry if it's a duplicate!

Basically, I spent most of my teens/early twenties self-harming. The scars are all invisible by this stage, and none were too deep (bar the one where I split a vein, whoops). I've thought on and off over the years I'd like to get some ink done there to remove the temptation to cut again but I'm not sure if the ink would take well with any degree of scar tissue there. Looking at the wrists, unless you know what you're looking for or it's very cold you could never tell anything had happened to them, but I'm more concerned about true skin integrity rather than appearances.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar experience/advice relating to this, as a tattoo is an awful lot of money to find out afterwards it was possibly a bad idea!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

if its just a solid black design or writing it should be fine id imagine,ive both wrists done with small designs, ive heard of scars being tattoed before to cover them and it was grand,ring a tattoo parlour and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I've a friend who has tattoos covering cutting scars on her arms. She has no problems with the tats and they do help disguise the scars. Although to be honest, the tattoo will probably draw more attention to the area than the actual scar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boodog

the tattoo will probably draw more attention to the area than the actual scar.
    This is my problem at the moment so I have to think about how far I want to take tattooing over the remaining scars.
    If the scar tissue is very white and wide you can incorporate it into the tattoo as the ink will not take very well to this tissue and any tattooist will warn you of this to cover themselves in case it fades.
    Also the skin on the wrist is finer and and moves/stretches more than anywhere else so there will always be a problem here with fading and getting it to look it's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Hi OP

I had scars tattooed over a few months back and so far so good, at the time the artist advised against having detailed work over the scars as the chances of the ink leaking are increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Sounds good, thank you for all the replies! I've booked an appointment with a Dublin parlour in August when a guest is in who did my previous tats and I love his work, so just fixing up a sketch for design. It'll be more of an outline-y style thing rather than writing or block colour, so hopefully they'll be ok with it and let me know on the day. I live in Wexford so getting to Dublin before then isn't really practical for me and so can't get them to look at the skin itself, and not heard good things about the parlours around me so not sure I'd trust their verdict! But am at least more optimistic that it'll work out now with these replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Pretty sure the artist has to tattoo differently over scars, maybe not has heavy as on normal skin, so maybe just ask has he any experience in tattooing scar tissue?

Advertisement